Prospect Info: Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Hoping that just because Fletcher thinks he's "NHL ready" doesn't mean that he's going to be guaranteed a spot. Nobody should be promised a spot at this point. That's when you get lazy players who fail to develop properly.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Wouldn't trust either of them to anchor a pairing at this stage. 40 games of NHL experience between the two of them. Any 1st or 2nd line in the league would walk all over them.

Depends on the forward line - pretty rare for the Wild forwards to leave their defenders without options. If those guys can think the game quickly, and make good outlets/decisions with the puck, it's better than Stoner.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Not that is super telling. The gophers have put a lot of D men right into the NHL. College hockey has as well. Reilly compares to Schultz very much. Schultz played more D at WI but WI plays more D.

I will never grant anyone an NHL spot. I see no reason to doubt that he can make the club and be a contributor right away.

Yeo must be rubbing of on the fans too much. Its another teams top players, quick get Suter out there. Let the lesser d play in the AHL so Suter can get 30+. In 2-3 years Suter is hurt and we have lots of experianced AHL d men.

In the playoffs you play it smart. In the 2nd period of a game in November, let the kids learn.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
It's possible he guaranteed him playing time in the NHL to land him over Chicago. Who knows - I'm okay with him starting either here or Iowa.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Not that is super telling. The gophers have put a lot of D men right into the NHL. College hockey has as well. Reilly compares to Schultz very much. Schultz played more D at WI but WI plays more D.

I will never grant anyone an NHL spot. I see no reason to doubt that he can make the club and be a contributor right away.

Yeo must be rubbing of on the fans too much. Its another teams top players, quick get Suter out there. Let the lesser d play in the AHL so Suter can get 30+. In 2-3 years Suter is hurt and we have lots of experianced AHL d men.

In the playoffs you play it smart. In the 2nd period of a game in November, let the kids learn.

Schultz also got the lockout to play in the AHL. Not quite full blown AHL, as it had more talent in it than usual, but he got to spend time with other D-men along with Hall, RNH, Eberle. Do we know if he'd spend time down there without the lockout? No. But that certainly helped him, he was able to take 2 steps rather than a single leap.

Who are the Gophers that went right into the NHL? That list isn't as stocked as you may think.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's possible he guaranteed him playing time in the NHL to land him over Chicago. Who knows - I'm okay with him starting either here or Iowa.

Nope, the only guarantee as confirmed by both Fletcher and Reilly himself, was every opportunity to make the team out of camp.

If he doesn't earn his spot in the NHL, he'll play in Iowa.

I think Fletcher is just expecting and thus preparing the team as if Reilly will be there, because he has high expectations about whether he can earn that spot.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Off the top of my head I can think of Blake Wheeler, Phil Kessel and Erik Johnson.

Blake Wheeler and Phil Kessel play defense? Huh. That's new.

And Erik Johnson was the #1 overall pick. He's an exception. Where is the list of 'Gophers d men that have gone right to the NHL'? Not only that, where is the list of them succeeding? Few and far between.

Paul Martin

Leopold pretty much did (only 3 AHL games)

So, 3 players in the last ~15 years, all 3 of which picked high in the draft. Odds are not good for Reilly, nor should they be. He should be slotted for the AHL immediately.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Blake Wheeler and Phil Kessel play defense? Huh. That's new.

And Erik Johnson was the #1 overall pick. He's an exception. Where is the list of 'Gophers d men that have gone right to the NHL'? Not only that, where is the list of them succeeding? Few and far between.

So, 3 players in the last ~15 years, all 3 of which picked high in the draft. Odds are not good for Reilly, nor should they be. He should be slotted for the AHL immediately.

Keep in mind, there are few college comparibles to Reilly though. The length of his college stay for the Gophers is rare for a player of his success level. Especially on defense.

Other players like him for the Gophers usually leave early to get their NHL career started sooner.

Nick Leddy didn't have his success (due to an injury in his only U.season), but played half an NHL season immediately. Ballard had his success and after most of an AHL season, was up in the NHL pretty quickly... Both left much earlier.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Bjugstad, Martin, Okposo, Leddy and Leopold. Vanek only spent a year in the AHL because of the lockout.

Leddy was after the big lockout...only spent the partial lockout. Was in the NHL after immediately...thus the half season equivalent.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm not following as to why Reilly should or should not start right away in the NHL based on the success or failure of previous Gopher defensemen.......Is there something about the UofM that negatively impacts defensemen drafted into the NHL?

Just because Player A from a particular school doesn't work out doesn't mean the same fate will befall Player B who attended the same school.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Goligoski went to the U from high school three season one AHL then to NHL. Did play NHL games his first year. If not for a stacked Pitt team he plays NHL. Most likely. Letang, Orpik, Gonchar, Whitney, Sydor and Scuderi.

Leddy. Split NHL time right away. After freshmen year

Leopold. No AHL time

Martin. No AHL time

Ballard. Lockout AHL year then NHL full time

EJ. No AHL

Schmidt. Split NHL time both years

Fairchild. NHL time first year.

Aaron Ness. NHL time first year

Helgeson. took one full AHL to see NHL time

Alt. took one year AHL to see the NHL.

I never claimed the U has the majority of the blueliners in the NHL but thats a solid list. Think where would you rank Reilly in that list? I like his chances.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
@BDubi17: Final thought of the holiday....Mike Reilly made a tough choice ...#werenotincollege #burntbridges #CBJ>#MNW #werule #gopherssuck

Does he say something like this if he goes to LA, Chicago or Pittsburgh?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The only false thing he posted was "#CBJ>#MNW" everything else seems right. Who cares what Brandon Dubinsky thinks about Mike Reilly or the Minnesota Wild?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
#werule is a pretty cool hashtag. Gonna use that one whenever I hand out a wicked sick burn on the Twitter machine. :sarcasm:

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
@BDubi17: Final thought of the holiday....Mike Reilly made a tough choice ...#werenotincollege #burntbridges #CBJ>#MNW #werule #gopherssuck

Does he say something like this if he goes to LA, Chicago or Pittsburgh?

haha i replied to him right away last night and he shot me a quick burn. pretty funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad