Prospect Info: Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't get it. Many people are saying Dumba should be sent down because he's a defensive liability, yet at the same time many people now are saying Reilly should get a shot in the NHL because he might be better with better players?

Is it just different people saying those things, or are you guys just blind to the fact that Reilly, at this point, is a worse Dumba?

He's also another LHD, for what it's worth.

Different people.

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
Looks like Reilly will be sitting out tonight.

Mike Reilly and Niklas Backstrom will be scratched from Saturday's match with Colorado.

The 22-year-old phenom Reilly has had a nice season with AHL Iowa thus far, scoring two goals and nine points in 23 games. It may be a bit early yet to progress his big league talent, but the potential is certainly tantalizing.

Source: Dan Myers
Dec 5 - 7:11 PM

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Such a fantastic game for Reilly to watch from the press box. I bet he learned a lot.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Made his NHL debut last night, and I was impressed. He made a huge mistake on his second shift of the game that almost resulted in a goal, but he bounced back nicely. 3rd period he had a very nice offensive opportunity - IIRC, he jumped in on a 3-on-2 with a nice slapshot.

If he can continue to develop, I'd be extremely happy... Plus, we have Olofsson. I'd imagine if Dumba, Reilly, and Olofsson all continue to develop, we'll have some nice trade pieces.

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Made his NHL debut last night, and I was impressed. He made a huge mistake on his second shift of the game that almost resulted in a goal, but he bounced back nicely. 3rd period he had a very nice offensive opportunity - IIRC, he jumped in on a 3-on-2 with a nice slapshot.

If he can continue to develop, I'd be extremely happy... Plus, we have Olofsson. I'd imagine if Dumba, Reilly, and Olofsson all continue to develop, we'll have some nice trade pieces.
And Folin.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Cons: 2 sizable gaffes. Position issues, like every young D. Lacks 10-20kg of muscles.

Pros: Skates fast, better stick than spurgeon (=great) and decent size. Not a liability in the goal front. Didn't blow coverage in periods 2 & 3.

Interesting guy. Might be useful as a fringe minute offensive zone player, especially if we end up trading Dumba.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I believe that a part of exploring Reillys game is due to the fact that Fletch is planning a trade. That would make Reilly a potential regular on the team.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I believe that a part of exploring Reillys game is due to the fact that Fletch is planning a trade. That would make Reilly a potential regular on the team.

I agree with this. Call it a gut feeling, but I think Dumba or Brodin is on the way out.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
As a big critic of Reilly (as can be seen in this thread). I've been really impressed with his game so far in the NHL.

I can't think of a major D zone gaffe he's had, but can think of several nice outlet passes he's made. And looks extremely fluid with good timing jumping into the offensive zone.

Game some what reminds me of Barrie. I'll be really interested to watch how his game develops over the rest of the year.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I think the best play I saw Rielly made that really makes me think he'll stick in the NHL was that play where he faked the slap shot on the PP...walked it in when the D went down to block...faked it again..walked it even further into the slot and and got it through on net and almost scored.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think his play to finish the season, is the nail in the coffin on whether or not Brodin/Dumba get moved.

If he continues like he has, one of them is gone. Just a matter of what one.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Thought he made some "lazy" plays but overall he's been impressive for a 22 year old. That Reilly-Dumba pairing after the first goal worried me a bit but that's okay. It's Torch instilling trust in younger players. I like it.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think his play to finish the season, is the nail in the coffin on whether or not Brodin/Dumba get moved.

If he continues like he has, one of them is gone. Just a matter of what one.

I have to think it's Brodin. We already have sooo many lefties: Suter, Scandella, Brodin, Reilly, Oloffson, etc. Righties: Spurgeon, Dumba, Folin, Prosser, etc.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I have to think it's Brodin. We already have sooo many lefties: Suter, Scandella, Brodin, Reilly, Oloffson, etc. Righties: Spurgeon, Dumba, Folin, Prosser, etc.

I could see either personally. Brodin at this point gets a better return, but he also plays right side better than left side so handednessis less of a concern.

I question whether or not the Wild would want two guys they need to shelter defensively in Reilly and Dumba.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I could see either personally. Brodin at this point gets a better return, but he also plays right side better than left side so handednessis less of a concern.

I question whether or not the Wild would want two guys they need to shelter defensively in Reilly and Dumba.

I'm not convinced they need as much sheltering as people generally imply.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I suppose its tough to know until you try it, but neither of them have ever seen anything but sheltered minutes. Dumba's been 60% O zone starts for 3 years running, and Reilly is at 65% right now. Its tough to shelter two players like that long term, without hammering others.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I could see either personally. Brodin at this point gets a better return, but he also plays right side better than left side so handedness less of a concern.

I just think it's always good to keep the RHD since they seem to be more rare than LHD.
I agree. Just let em' fly. There will be some turbulence but that's to be expected :laugh:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I just think it's always good to keep the RHD since they seem to be more rare than LHD.

I agree. Just let em' fly. There will be some turbulence but that's to be expected :laugh:

Like I said, I could see it either way. I could see them valuing Brodin's defensive ability and deciding with Spurgeon, Suter, Reilly and Scandella's offensive abilities, they can live without Dumba and use Brodin taking the tough minutes.

40% O zone starts, 3+ minutes of PK a game. That type of thing.

Slick Willy*

How do people think he's been doing? I thought he looked pretty poised tonight from the time I saw him on the ice.

Is he going to have an illustrious career? What's his ceiling..will he be an all star?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
How do people think he's been doing? I thought he looked pretty poised tonight from the time I saw him on the ice.

Is he going to have an illustrious career? What's his ceiling..will he be an all star?

I think he looks bomb. All star? Idk, but I think he has potential to be a good player and a GREAT pp QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->