Player Discussion Mike Reilly (D) acquired from the Montreal Canadiens

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
There are other uses for these picks. You can use them to move up the draft.
It would be nice to use the picks to actually acquire a player who's good or has a chance at being good for the team in the near future. Maybe I'm writing off Reilly too early but I'm not about to get excited about a guy who can't crack the top 6 in Montreal. Like it would have been nice to go get a Duclair on defense when there's such an abundance of ice time to go around on the club right now.

I'd be more jazzed if we made a deal for a guy like Jake Bean or someone of that ilk.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There are other uses for these picks. You can use them to move up the draft.

Yes, but we're talking a 5th round pick here. At best, that pick might help you move up from pick #135 to pick #130, or something like that.

Hold on to first and second round picks like our life depends on them.

Use the occasional 3rd or 4th round pick as a commodity to sweeten a deal or move up in the draft.

Fifth rounders and beyond.....that's pocket change.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Why take on Marleau's 4M deal for a 1st when you can take on 4.75M for Namestnikov and Reilly and give up picks?

For a team with a limited budget, we sure like to waste money.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm guessing the Marleau deal wasn't offered to us as a division rival. Leafs only would have made that deal in the division as a last resort...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Small potatoes. He's just a placeholder until the kids are ready.

What are the odds of a 5th rounder becoming a legit NHLer? Maybe 5%?

That sounds about right. If you look over the history of the 5th round in, say, the last ten years, you'll see the occasional gem, a small handful of guys who made an appearance in the show (hello Freddie Claesson!) and a raft of dudes who never got a sniff. It's a lottery ticket, and as others have pointed out we already have plenty of tickets. What we need are depth guys who can actually play in the league if need be, and that's Reilly.

It's also worth noting that, no matter how many draft picks you accumulate, you can only have 50 guys signed to NHL contracts at any one given time. That's what we are up against now, in fact, and in the next few years we are going to have to make some even tougher decisions on which prospects to keep, and which to dump. In that context, giving up a fifth and clearing out a contract to get a guy who can actually be a serviceable NHL 6/7 defenceman is a great trade...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That sounds about right. If you look over the history of the 5th round in, say, the last ten years, you'll see the occasional gem, a small handful of guys who made an appearance in the show (hello Freddie Claesson!) and a raft of dudes who never got a sniff. It's a lottery ticket, and as others have pointed out we already have plenty of tickets. What we need are depth guys who can actually play in the league if need be, and that's Reilly.

It's also worth noting that, no matter how many draft picks you accumulate, you can only have 50 guys signed to NHL contracts at any one given time. That's what we are up against now, in fact, and in the next few years we are going to have to make some even tougher decisions on which prospects to keep, and which to dump. In that context, giving up a fifth and clearing out a contract to get a guy who can actually be a serviceable NHL 6/7 defenceman is a great trade...

Mike Reilly is basically another Goloubef but signed to a 1.5 m contract for another year. I feel like we could have gotten better value for a plug to fill a hole but the options are limited because of our contract situation and the fact that were mid season. Not sure how far away Wolanin is, to bad we couldn't hold off till he was back.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Here we go again with hfsens losing their **** over a late draft pick....

It's funny... it was exactly 1 year ago today that people were losing their **** over the 6th round pick we gave up for Nilsson.
in fairness they could have traded a first for reilly and some of you would still be like " ITS ONLY A FIRST WE HAVE TWO!!!!! THIS YEAR WE DONT NEED BOTH OF THEM!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He is 26 years old and looks to have untapped offensive potential. It is a pretty good deal for a reasonably young d man who still has 2nd pairing potential.
Theres a grey area between "this is the worst deal ever" and this.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Strong skater and good puck mover who is poor defensively seems to be the consensus.

Pretty much exactly what we need at this point in time: hopefully he makes managing Chabot's minutes easier.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
People can have an issue with PD dumping picks for roster filler in a down season while simultaneously understanding that a 5th round pick (likely) isn't going to turn into anything. It doesn't need to be so black and white.

This was an avoidable situation brought on by the fact the team decided they didn't need to go into the season with a "normal" amount of defencemen under contract and was compounded by the injuries on the back end. I take issue with people who let Dorion off the hook for painting himself into a corner on this one.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
No comments on his inability to stay healthy/in the lineup?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I don't mind this trade even though the situation is avoidable for a few reasons

With Rielly being signed for next year you got to figure that he is going to be our #6/7 dman for next year

Looking at our defenseman signed for next year
Chabot
Zaistev
Brannstrom
Wolanin
Rielly

We have one spot open maybe two, we have demelo, hainsey, boro as ufas and jaros as an rfa

Outside of jaros the other dmen if traded will return more than a 5th and it also means we are actually looking trade our higher value assets instead of just sitting on them which is nice. By sending a contract back to Montreal it keeps our flexibility for if we need to take on a contract when trading at the deadline

Could trading a 5th round pick have been avoided, definitely but it looks like we will be replacing that pick in a couple of weeks. Also hopefully this means Chabot can play minutes in the high 20's instead of mid to high 30's

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Exactly this. We've just traded a 15yr old depth player for a 25yr old depth player. We have too many of the former, not enough of the latter.

Why is it that people cant grasp that losing this season is what this team should be trying to do. Wasting assets to negate what the obvious goal is counter productive. This team made a massive commitment to rebuilding last season without their first but now they go the opposite direction? Its beyond stupid.

The problem appears to be that Dorion does not have an actual plan the trade for Reilly proves it. I read through the thread with so many posters defending the trade. The main argument people could come up with was that Chabot is playing too much.... He doesnt have to play that much there are 5 other D men dressed; the coachs are the ones deciding he plays too much. This is a throw away tank season, its as plain as day, however its very obvious the GM doesnt seem to think so despite where the team sits in the standings and the roster its icing. I dont think this has been articulated to the coach properly. The younger players need some ice time, however the coach doesnt trust them because he is trying to win its a situation that needs to be rectified simply by unloading players. However, instead they keep adding. Burning picks like they are worthless for players that are available for 0 assets. Until this team starts managing its assets properly this hellish rebuild will never end.

There is nothing worse than finishing between 5th and 10th last in the NHL, absolutely nothing its why teams like Arizona are still horrible after not making the playoffs for a decade. Thats what management is apparently trying to achieve.

I agree in a vacuum a 5th rounder doesnt have alot of value, but it has more value than a 6th or a 7th why are they giving up a 5th for a player going on waivers?... When you add in a 2nd a 4th and another 5th on a team that is tanking without getting any real tangible assets back its moronic. Taylor Hall just got more than a signed Mark Stone because he was managed properly when will this fan base and media hold management accountable for all of these blunders. All of this misdirection? A clear and consise plan needs to be presented so that there is real hope.

Mike Reilly is basically another Goloubef but signed to a 1.5 m contract for another year. I feel like we could have gotten better value for a plug to fill a hole but the options are limited because of our contract situation and the fact that were mid season. Not sure how far away Wolanin is, to bad we couldn't hold off till he was back.

Exactly. So when everyone gets back then what happens? A couple more games of losing oh dear lord the harm.

In that context, giving up a fifth and clearing out a contract to get a guy who can actually be a serviceable NHL 6/7 defenceman is a great trade...

Why is it a great trade if the goal is to finish low in the standings? Giving up assets for players they can have for free. Please explain that to me.

Reactions: Cosmix and Ed Wood

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Do we know when Hainsey is coming back? As of Demelo I know he still have a couple week. Wolanin was suppose to come back in JAN? And Zaitsev is really close because they activate him..

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Do we know when Hainsey is coming back? As of Demelo I know he still have a couple week. Wolanin was suppose to come back in JAN? And Zaitsev is really close because they activate him..

if it means sending brannstrom down to develop more I am perfectly fine with that

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Meh the team needs an NHL body on the backend, and like others mentioned the pick (and possibly higher than 5th) would be recouped in future trades.

Hainsey and Boro are trading chips, the latter has more value than typical Sens fans give him credit for. I can easily see a 3rd with the potential for a 2nd round team back for a contending team looking for some jam and NHL depth on the bottom pairing.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Why is it that people cant grasp that losing this season is what this team should be trying to do. Wasting assets to negate what the obvious goal is counter productive. This team made a massive commitment to rebuilding last season without their first but now they go the opposite direction? Its beyond stupid.

The problem appears to be that Dorion does not have an actual plan the trade for Reilly proves it. I read through the thread with so many posters defending the trade. The main argument people could come up with was that Chabot is playing too much.... He doesnt have to play that much there are 5 other D men dressed; the coachs are the ones deciding he plays too much. This is a throw away tank season, its as plain as day, however its very obvious the GM doesnt seem to think so despite where the team sits in the standings and the roster its icing. I dont think this has been articulated to the coach properly. The younger players need some ice time, however the coach doesnt trust them because he is trying to win its a situation that needs to be rectified simply by unloading players. However, instead they keep adding. Burning picks like they are worthless for players that are available for 0 assets. Until this team starts managing its assets properly this hellish rebuild will never end.

There is nothing worse than finishing between 5th and 10th last in the NHL, absolutely nothing its why teams like Arizona are still horrible after not making the playoffs for a decade. Thats what management is apparently trying to achieve.

I agree in a vacuum a 5th rounder doesnt have alot of value, but it has more value than a 6th or a 7th why are they giving up a 5th for a player going on waivers?... When you add in a 2nd a 4th and another 5th on a team that is tanking without getting any real tangible assets back its moronic. Taylor Hall just got more than a signed Mark Stone because he was managed properly when will this fan base and media hold management accountable for all of these blunders. All of this misdirection? A clear and consise plan needs to be presented so that there is real hope.

Exactly. So when everyone gets back then what happens? A couple more games of losing oh dear lord the harm.

Why is it a great trade if the goal is to finish low in the standings? Giving up assets for players they can have for free. Please explain that to me.
Brannstrom was just sent down. Pretty clear what the plan is.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brannstrom was just sent down. Pretty clear what the plan is.

I made several points, you didnt address any of them other than the team doing the obvious. Send a young highly touted player down that is struggling. Any team does this rebuild or not. Doesnt change the fact that they mismanage all of the teams assets. Including Brannstrom, forcing a young player to play out of position is idiotic they did it with Chabot too. He finally plays RD and looks comfortable, weird thats his position.

Reactions: Emrasie

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Dorion said his plan is to develop the prospects. If he feels that this add helps the prospects develop then this move fits the plan.

We have 11 picks this year and 5 in the fist 3 rounds next year, using draft capital to assist the kids already in the system makes good sense.

I don’t think the team was going to actively try to finish last, they are focused on development. They are committed to this path.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I made several points, you didnt address any of them other than the team doing the obvious. Send a young highly touted player down that is struggling. Any team does this rebuild or not. Doesnt change the fact that they mismanage all of the teams assets. Including Brannstrom, forcing a young player to play out of position is idiotic they did it with Chabot too. He finally plays RD and looks comfortable, weird thats his position.
He hasn’t been struggling recently. But it’s pretty obvious the plan is to let the young players simmer in the minors. Trading a meaningless 5th doesn’t mean you’re not rebuilding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad