Player Discussion Mike Reilly (D) acquired from the Montreal Canadiens

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Can't say I quite understand the hand wringing about being afraid to add a contract. Aren't we planning on selling off half a dozen players in the next 7 weeks?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
A 5th is nothing and we got rid of a guy who has no NHL future.

We cant play Chabot 40 a night and rely on our prospects. They need time in the minors to properly develop.

I like it

Reactions: NB613 and Matsens15

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Can't say I quite understand the hand wringing about being afraid to add a contract. Aren't we planning on selling off half a dozen players in the next 7 weeks?

If we're selling off a half a dozen players in the next 7 weeks, why all the concern about adding an additional contract?

Reactions: bert

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If we're selling off a half a dozen players in the next 7 weeks, why all the concern about adding an additional contract?
Maybe they want to add prospects instead of picks. Also other teams will need to send contracts back. And finally, I doubt we will see 6 players moved.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Yeah let’s all outrage over a 5th round pick!!!! This NEEDED to happen!!!
Ottawa has so much draft capitol over the next few drafts, and because of it they’re able to do deals like this. Odds are Ottawa gets that pick back at the deadline anyway.
It allows Ottawa to send Brannstrom to go back down and continue dominating with all of Ottawa’s other top prospects down in Belleville.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So that’s Namestikov and Reilly coming over for draft picks. Unnecessary.

Reilly isn't a rental. He's a 26 year old defender. Theoretically, that's a player who should be able to play for us for many years if we manage to re-sign him. At the trade deadline, we will probably get back a better pick than we gave up for Namestnikov. Or we will re-sign him, and he won't be a rental. I have other criticisms about the Namestnikov trade, but it's not exactly relevant to this.

I don't know enough about Reilly to evaluate this trade on the ice. But because he has term, it makes me think we might not be keeping both Boro' and Demelo. It seems like a move to get a cost controlled NHL defender.

The way we're running our defense right now with Chabot playing 30+ minutes a game sometimes is not sustainable. If this move enables us to feel more comfortable getting a better than 5th round pick for Hainsey or Boro', then I'm fine with it.

There's also the possibility that we an get a late pick for Reilly next season. Similar to how Montreal gave up a 5th for him last year, and re-acquired a 5th this year. Could this be bad pro scouting? I don't know, maybe...maybe not. Is it bad asset management? I don't think so.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Yeah let’s all outrage over a 5th round pick!!!! This NEEDED to happen!!!
Ottawa has so much draft capitol over the next few drafts, and because of it they’re able to do deals like this. Odds are Ottawa gets that pick back at the deadline anyway.
It allows Ottawa to send Brannstrom to go back down and continue dominating with all of Ottawa’s other top prospects down in Belleville.

The asset in this trade is more the roster spot and salary (above 650k or whatever minimum is now) owed to Reilly.

In terms of draft picks, there is a good chance the Senators recoup picks directly or indirectly from this trade. Either they get a chance to flip Reilly again during his lifetime with Ottawa and they recoup the 5th, or having Reilly allows them to feel more comfortable moving a more valuable defender else where.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

I think the plan is to recoup prospects for the players we ship out, for a couple of reasons: 1) teams are usually very wary about giving away 1st round picks with no protections. So if you're trading a guy like Pageau and the offers on the table are B+ to A- prospect or multiple non-first round picks? What do you do? 2nd round picks are not really high end trading currency and we already have a boatload of them. Prospects mean you need to keep spots open in your contract limits. 2) We're at a point, developmentally, and with the potential addition of two top 5 picks this year, where we need prospects with development years under their belt rather than straight draft picks. Once again this means you need to keep space open under your contract limit. Prospects with development years can graduate with the rest of the young talent to form a cohesive unit. Or can create enough organizational currency to maneuver prospects for players deals when the time is right and the team is ready for that kind of boost.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Not a high end guy but Dorion had to get someone who has some NHL experience. The Sens couldn't risk another injury on D and some of the guys on ir must be longer term than they expected.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I've been saying for weeks they needed another guy that can play here.

Nothing wrong with this move.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Some posters still can't get over the Marleau trade. It's like they can't comprehend the difference between barely being able to pay a player for actually playing for us and paying someone to not play.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Smart move to dump a contract and not get stuck up against the limit. This gives PD room to maneuver when a serious trade is happening. I like this move. It's low risk and is following a plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad