WEEI Mike Milbury weighs in on whether Bruins should consider trading Jeremy Swayman

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think Sweeney plan is both them next 3 yrs which is fine by me .Ullmark is not going anywhere with that no trade .

Ullmark has a NMC this year and next. The following 2yrs it'd a 16 then 15 no trade list. The fact that he got a NMC for the first 2 years tells me they (he and is agent) knew Rask could come back and for more then 1yr so they wanted to be able to have say on where Ullmark goes if traded.

If Rask comes back for next season then I think you see Ullmark moved during the off-season when teams have more flexibility and guys are moving around. There could be a prime opportunity that opens with a playoff team who needs a #1 goalie.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The only way I would consider trading Swayman would be to get a young elite center back in return. I have much more faith in the Bruins finding another starter in net than finding the next top line center.

In short - I don’t move Swayman for anything less than a number one center. Period. Otherwise, Swayman should stay here.

Reactions: Gordoff

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Red that over here too.

Tough time for the « sell everything this team is not good and not a contender » crowd.

Meanwhile, the disappointing wins are pilling on and Bruins 5pts back Toronto with a game in hand.
You may or may not be talking about me, but I freely admit the Bruins are playing much better than I thought they would as of late. I’ve said on here before that I’m in favor of a complete rebuild, but if this franchise can win games and contend, I’m thrilled to be wrong.

Like any real fan, I want this team to win. I don’t care how they do it, or with whom.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Gotta wonder where Sayman's head is right now. That said, Tuukka is coming off major hip surgery, Ulmark has been injured more than once, so I bet we see JS1 before too long. Kid is a player...

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
seriously, weren’t ppl upset because he got “cancelled?”

He suggests trading a new popular Bruin every week. I f***in wish he got cancelled, instead we have to hear him more
He only "refused to be cancelled" after he collected every last penny of his contract too. Poor guy.

Reactions: CDJ

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Swayman might end up being a good goalie for years to come. But he might not, either. Especially with goalies, it’s so hard to predict and many peter out. Bergeron (not really having an all-star year) is getting old. Trades are something you consider. He’s not untouchable. Now, whether I trust DS to make a smart deal? Another story entirely.

As close to untouchable as anyone could be.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
If the price is right, you trade anyone. If Edmonton insists on Swayman in a package for Draisaitl, pull the trigger.
This.
I'd keep all 3 this year, unless Swayman gets you that missing piece.
I don't know who else is in the pipeline for B's goalies, if there is any talent coming up through the ranks.
Ideally, Tuukka signs for 2 more years, Swayman is the backup taking more games each year, and Ullmark is traded.
Not a knock on Ullmark, he's been good, but top Tuukka is better than top Ullmark.
I imagine if you present this to Ullmark, that he'll be a backup, he'll be okay with a trade. Might not be happy, but
will take a trade to be #1 than a backup.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Ullmark has a NMC this year and next. The following 2yrs it'd a 16 then 15 no trade list. The fact that he got a NMC for the first 2 years tells me they (he and is agent) knew Rask could come back and for more then 1yr so they wanted to be able to have say on where Ullmark goes if traded.

If Rask comes back for next season then I think you see Ullmark moved during the off-season when teams have more flexibility and guys are moving around. There could be a prime opportunity that opens with a playoff team who needs a #1 goalie.

Cannot see Bruins carrying the 3 of them next year .My gut says this is the last hurrah for Rask.And 3 pages on a Milbury statement is funny to

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
The only way I would consider trading Swayman would be to get a young elite center back in return. I have much more faith in the Bruins finding another starter in net than finding the next top line center.

In short - I don’t move Swayman for anything less than a number one center. Period. Otherwise, Swayman should stay here.

"I have much more faith in the Bruins finding another starter in net"

I see you joined the forum in 2011.
You may not not remember the pre-2011 goalies. Thomas to Rask has been amazing, before that it was a revolving door in front of the B's net.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
"I have much more faith in the Bruins finding another starter in net"

I see you joined the forum in 2011.
You may not not remember the pre-2011 goalies. Thomas to Rask has been amazing, before that it was a revolving door in front of the B's net.
Just because I joined this forum in 2011 certainly doesn’t mean I haven’t been watching Bruins hockey for much longer than that.

I’m not as old as you are, but I didn’t just stumble across the Boston Bruins in 2011. I’ve been watching the Bruins for several decades now, and the Bruins have (for the most part) found it much more difficult to acquire offensive talent than defensive talent. And that includes goaltending.

Unless Patrice Bergeron is going to pull a Tom Brady and play until he’s in his mid-forties, getting a top line center for the future is the Bruins’ number one priority. In my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

DistantCuzOBourque

Oct 3, 2017
The land of little ice
Sweeny needs to dangle Swayman and find out which teams are hot for a goalkeeper. Then you play multiple suitors against eachother and set your asking price really high and dont budge. this allows you to find out which teams are in on a goalie and what they are willing to part with to get one. Now you go to Ulmark and see which teams he might waive for.

Not that you have all of the pursuing teams whipped into a frenzy with desire but unwilling to pony up the asking price for Swayman, you suddenly "suggest" that maybe Ulmark would be willing to move for a lower but still great return.

Its the old bait and switch. Havent any of yall ever bought a car?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad