WEEI Mike Milbury weighs in on whether Bruins should consider trading Jeremy Swayman

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
No you dont trade swayman, let him go down to providence and get more work. Technically he could use it. He beat up on bad teams but was 1-5-1 with a .909 save percentage against playoff teams. He will be good, but I don’t see a problem with bringing back a healthy Tuukka. Ullmark and Tuukka could easily miss time anyways so I doubt this is the last we’ve seen KD swayman this year too.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I get that we all have to hate him, but nothing he said here is wrong. Read his actual words. He's not saying to deal him for peanuts. He's just saying, see what's out there. Something they do with all players anyway. It's not really a hot take.

If this really is going to be the last year or two with this core, you go all in.

I appreciate your perspective.

But, a] you don't deal 23 year old Swayman, clearly the future in net for the Bruins, to "go for it." I suspect you can "go for it" with Tuukka Rask, easily a top 1o or at best top 5 NHL goaltender, and Linus Ullmark, a capable number two.

What you don't want to do is give away a precocious, strong talent in Swayman to chase a likely illusory Cup dream in 2022.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I appreciate your perspective.

But, a] you don't deal 23 year old Swayman, clearly the future in net for the Bruins, to "go for it." I suspect you can "go for it" with Tuukka Rask, easily a top 1o or at best top 5 NHL goaltender, and Linus Ullmark, a capable number two.

What you don't want to do is give away a precocious, strong talent in Swayman to chase a likely illusory Cup dream in 2022.
Don’t hear anyone pushing to “give him away.”

Question is, if you got fantastic legit #2 center, or awesome #2 damn, as an example, to go for it with Bergeron in his twilight (he is 36, after all) and if Tuukka lights it up in his potentially final year, do you let the prospect of a Swayman hold that up? I think it’s a legitimate question.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
If Rask stays healthy this year and looks like he's back to normal Tuukka then my guess is that Ullmark is moved over the summer. Swayman is the future. He's not going to be traded. He won't bring back a ton, so there's no point in moving him. Rask isn't going to be so generous if he signs with the Bs again in the summer. Would be tough to sink so much money into Ullmark and Rask. A Rask and Swayman combo makes a lot of sense, as Swayman will still get a lot of games as backup, and will be able to transition to the Bs number one after Rask is gone.

For the remainder of this season I think DS should keep all 3 goalies. Every playoff team would love to be in the Bs position as it relates to goalies during a COVID year. Several playoff teams are in pretty bad need of a better goalie than what they have. The Bs have 3. Fairly good insurance against COVID or injury, and very cost controlled as well thanks to Tuukka.

Reactions: Gordoff

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
If Rask stays healthy this year and looks like he's back to normal Tuukka then my guess is that Ullmark is moved over the summer. Swayman is the future. He's not going to be traded. He won't bring back a ton, so there's no point in moving him. Rask isn't going to be so generous if he signs with the Bs again in the summer. Would be tough to sink so much money into Ullmark and Rask. A Rask and Swayman combo makes a lot of sense, as Swayman will still get a lot of games as backup, and will be able to transition to the Bs number one after Rask is gone.

For the remainder of this season I think DS should keep all 3 goalies. Every playoff team would love to be in the Bs position as it relates to goalies during a COVID year. Several playoff teams are in pretty bad need of a better goalie than what they have. The Bs have 3. Fairly good insurance against COVID or injury, and very cost controlled as well thanks to Tuukka.
And what if Linus simply says, “No”?

Reactions: missingchicklet

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
See how Rask does this year and how he feels. If he’s healthy and still hungry, he can continue to play for a while. He’s only 34 which doesn’t seem crazy old for a goalie. He’s the 10th oldest goalie in the league.

We have seen goalies play well into their late 30’s.

I’m trading Ullmark and I’m sure there’s buyers out there. His numbers continue to be good and his cap hit is 5M. By then, he’ll have 3 more years left. Still a NMC so that could make it an issue. Not saying you’ll get a haul for him but there’s been worse traded before.

Then you go with Rask/Swayman

All up to Rask though. If TR40 wanted to, he could easily play the remainder of Ullmark’s contract. That would put him at 38. You keep Swayman. Thats the bottom line.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I like Milbury. And I absolutely love that he’s sticking it out after he got railroaded by NBC.

As for trading Swayman, no thanks. I don’t trust Rask to be here for the long haul, and I don’t think trade returns for potential long-terms goalies are ever good enough.

Reactions: nORRis8

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Trading Swayman is an absolute nonstarter. You'll never get the value back that you need. In my opinion, you'd need a top 10 pick in the draft or a future 1C type prospect, like the Suzuki trade. No one ever offers that for a goalie prospect.

Swayman is on the team next year, no question. Either don't re-sign Rask, or ask Ullmark to waive the NMC.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
And what if Linus simply says, “No”?
My guess is that he wants to be a #1. Would likely have to find a trade partner in which Linus will be the #1 and likely one that will be a contender. I think he would approve a trade under those conditions. Bs shouldn't expect much back in a trade because of the position they would be in. But your point is valid. Certainly have to question this situation since the Bs knew Tuukka wanted to come back and play after surgery. Makes it even more interesting when you factor in that Tuukka says he only wants to be a Bruin if he stays in the NHL. Of course, he could always change his mind on that one.

Reactions: Dr Hook

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Trading Swayman is an absolute nonstarter. You'll never get the value back that you need. In my opinion, you'd need a top 10 pick in the draft or a future 1C type prospect, like the Suzuki trade. No one ever offers that for a goalie prospect.

Swayman is on the team next year, no question. Either don't re-sign Rask, or ask Ullmark to waive the NMC.

I don't now about that. Edmonton for the right package (DeBrusk, Swayman) might bite and offer you some real value back ( cap space part of it).

The jury is still out on Swayman's NHL career.
His sample size has yet to include any PO games.
They dropped the ball last year not playing him
G5 and G6 against the NYI and going with a completely compromised Rask.

Would have been at least a peek at how he would reacted in PO pressure. If he wins the series maybe they ride with him and sign a stopgap instead of Ullmark. That wasn't well thought out goalie usage
in last years PO's.

For the record, I advocated w\o knowing Rasks true
condition running him thru a legit workout the morning of G5 and if limited at all going with Swayman.

They obviously knew and still went with the wrong decision.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
if Rask was bound to come back, makes no sense why they signed Ullmark and didnt go with Swayman Vladar. Ullmark signing basically held back 2 goalie prospects

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
if Rask was bound to come back, makes no sense why they signed Ullmark and didnt go with Swayman Vladar. Ullmark signing basically held back 2 goalie prospects
Because there was zero chance of knowing how Rask would respond to his surgery. And there is no way in hell that a team looking to win would go with 2 goalies that had a combined 15 games in the NHL.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Because there was zero chance of knowing how Rask would respond to his surgery. And there is no way in hell that a team looking to win would go with 2 goalies that had a combined 15 games in the NHL.
Agreed, but that doesn’t mean you need to sign a guy to 4x5m.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I get that we all have to hate him, but nothing he said here is wrong. Read his actual words. He's not saying to deal him for peanuts. He's just saying, see what's out there. Something they do with all players anyway. It's not really a hot take.

If this really is going to be the last year or two with this core, you go all in.

I kind of agree. When I saw the subject of this post, I thought to myself, whatever Milbury suggests is likely the exact opposite of the wise choice. But I can't say he's wrong.

Now, understand, trading Swayman is the LAST thing I'd want to do if I were GM. But everyone wants to go for it while we have these last few years of Bergeron, Marchand and Rask. So if the only thing that's going to get you the missing pieces – a bonafide 2C and a stud D-man – is Swayman, or a package that includes him, you have to at least consider it. I think that's all Milbury is saying.

But even then, that's a tough decision. Is it worth it to trade away a likely future stud goalie, to get the best chance of winning another Cup with Bergy & Marchand?

What return would be worth it? Someone of the calibre of a Hedman/Josi/Pietrangelo?

And what does the team look like 3-4 years from now if Bergeron, Marchand, Rask are retired with no 2nd Cup? Swayman gets to backstop the team during the rebuilding years. Congrats kid!

That said, my ideal solution would be to find a way to deal Ullmark, but that would take some convincing. Why would Ullmark agree to waive his NMC?

As hard as it is to get the words out of my mouth, I think Milbury is right. You have to consider dealing Swayman if you're truly in an "in it to win it" mindset now.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Actually, I misspoke. The best solution is they win the Cup this year, then Rask retires happy, clearing the way for Swayman.

Reactions: Agent86

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much

Right on. Lots of uncertainty during the off season regarding Tuukka and the result of Rask's surgery could of put the team in the same spot as Dallas with Ben Bishop (and Dallas had a 1b in Khudobin but signed Holtby because they did not want to go with only 1 unproven rookie, Oettinger, who at the time who had played 29 NHL games).

So on July 28th the team had:

1) Opportunity to sign best goalie available (to fair market value and moveable contract. He can be moved with Ullmark's say and if I'm Ullmark I want that too)
2) Stand pat and go into Bergy and friends remaining competitive window with 2 unproven goalies (15 games combined is unproven)
3) Scour the post July 28th classified ads for a veteran on a cheap deal if you are worried about option 2
4) Trade for a starter (need to find suitor and cost of assets)

If I was the GM,
Option 1 - the goal is to keep the core together and best opportunity to extend window.
Option 4 also keeps the core together but at a present (roster/prospect) and or future (picks) cost and no guarantee you get better than Ullmark.
Option 3 is hedging a bet but carries larger risk than option 1 or 4.
Option 2 was the riskiest way, and if that was the path chosen - I would of stayed away from any free agent signings, gone to Patrice/Brad and tell them window is closed and looked for feedback to where they want to go. Tear it down and build around Pasta/Chuck/Carlo/Sway/Vladar, stockpile assets and look to 2027.

Option 2 was probably out the window anyway on July 23rd anyway- they inked Hall to the 4 year deal and this signalled they were going to take a run. Rest fell into place.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Swayman is 23. That's basically a baby in goalie years.

Sometimes you play well and lose your job. The guy who took Swayman's job oddly enough knows all about how that feels given at the end of 2010 he looked poised to be the Bruins starter only for Tim Thomas to ascend to godhood.

Rask is 35. He's not going to be around forever and was already talking about retirement. Swayman stays

Reactions: Agent86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad