WEEI Mike Milbury weighs in on whether Bruins should consider trading Jeremy Swayman

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Former Bruin and longtime NHL analyst Mike Milbury believes Tuukka Rask’s return will be a good thing for the Bruins this season. But during his weekly appearance on The Greg Hill Show, Milbury also expressed concern about how it will affect Jeremy Swayman, who was sent down to AHL Providence to make room for Rask.

Milbury thinks things will probably be fine for the rest of the season, but wondered what happens if Rask wants to play beyond this season. Combined with Linus Ullmark’s contract, which includes a no-movement clause, it would seemingly mean there would continue to be no spot for Swayman.

“If you’re Jeremy Swayman, you have to be incredibly disappointed,” Milbury said. “…How does he make the team [next season] if they re-sign Rask? Then there’s no way he can make the team for another year and a half. It’s a bizarre position for the franchise’s future goaltender, and it’ll be interesting to watch what happens to him over the next little while.”

Jermaine Wiggins then brought up the possibility of using Swayman as a trade chip. Given his age, upside and what he’s already done at the NHL level, Swayman could certainly serve as the centerpiece of a blockbuster trade to land a major piece to help the Bruins.

Milbury said that if the Bruins think the 34-year-old Rask is going to play beyond this season, he would at least consider it.

“If this kid is not going to be available to the Bruins for the next year and a half, I’d have to say yeah, you have to take a look at it,” Milbury said. “If somebody wants to try to give us a really good chip or a really good prospect, then maybe you take a look at it. It’s such a bizarre turn of events. I haven’t seen anything quite like this in a long time.

“But you don’t want to give up -- he’s a blue-chip prospect. He’s a potential number one goaltender for the next 10, 12 years. So I’m not giving him away, but given the circumstances and given where we’ve twisted his brain around, I think maybe you have to think about it.”

Listen to the full interview with Milbury below. The discussion about Swayman starts at the 4:20 mark.

GHS - Mike Milbury Explains How Hockey Humbles Every Player

Reactions: Gordoff

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Which handle does Milbury use on reddit? Pretty sure I've read some stuff on there written by him.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Anytime I see "Mike Milbury" and "trade" in the same sentence, I immediately groan. This idiot traded Ziggy Palfy, Roberto Luongo, Jason Spezza, and Zdeno Chara in one tenure and set the Islanders back a decade plus. Any trade advice coming out of this blithering idiot's mouth should be immediately discarded and ignored.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I get that we all have to hate him, but nothing he said here is wrong. Read his actual words. He's not saying to deal him for peanuts. He's just saying, see what's out there. Something they do with all players anyway. It's not really a hot take.

If this really is going to be the last year or two with this core, you go all in.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Easy everyone. Mike was the mastermind behind Rick Dipietro. He’s still getting paid through 2028, I think. Excellent process of bringing a goalie prospect along slowly and gradual like. Gonna pay dividends in a few years and then you’ll all be thinking “hey Mikey knows a thing or two about goalies”.

Reactions: EvilDead

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I get that we all have to hate him, but nothing he said here is wrong. Read his actual words. He's not saying to deal him for peanuts. He's just saying, see what's out there. Something they do with all players anyway. It's not really a hot take.

If this really is going to be the last year or two with this core, you go all in.

f*** that. Don't piss away the future in goal for a feint possibility of a cup run. Especially since they traded Vladar for nothing and he has made Sweeney look even more like an ass hat by being a decent backup in Calgary. Keep Swayman at all costs. Build for the future.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Easy everyone. Mike was the mastermind behind Rick Dipietro. He’s still getting paid through 2028, I think. Excellent process of bringing a goalie prospect along slowly and gradual like. Gonna pay dividends in a few years and then you’ll all be thinking “hey Mikey knows a thing or two about goalies”.

To be fair, as the story goes, it was the owner, Charles Wang, who was behind that deal. Apparently he was a non-hockey guy that was kind of eccentric and would make deals without involving his GM. Who knows, though.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
f*** that. Don't piss away the future in goal for a feint possibility of a cup run. Especially since they traded Vladar for nothing and he has made Sweeney look even more like an ass hat by being a decent backup in Calgary. Keep Swayman at all costs. Build for the future.

Youre literally the only one who thinks dealing Vladar makes Sweeney look like an asshat.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Youre literally the only one who thinks dealing Vladar makes Sweeney look like an asshat.

It does, because it forced him to spend a lot of money on Linus Ullmark when no one else was going to give him that kind of contract when the Bruins needed that cap space for other pieces like a second line Center or depth on the d core.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
In what fantasy world does a "decent backup" bring back anything of note in a trade? Vladar is a JAG. The B's would very likely not be in any position to challenge right now if they had gone with a Vladar/Swayman tandem to start the season.

Regarding Milbury, like so many others I'd be very weary of taking his advice on trading, especially when it comes to goalie prospects. It's a shame for Swayman if he's held out of the show for longer than necessary, but I hope tha kid is willing to stick it out for a while and not kick up a shitstorm even though he's been dealt a bad hand here. Still, if there's no-brainer trade offered with him included you have to consider it.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
In what fantasy world does a "decent backup" bring back anything of note in a trade? Vladar is a JAG. The B's would very likely not be in any position to challenge right now if they had gone with a Vladar/Swayman tandem to start the season.

Regarding Milbury, like so many others I'd be very weary of taking his advice on trading, especially when it comes to goalie prospects. It's a shame for Swayman if he's held out of the show for longer than necessary, but I hope tha kid is willing to stick it out for a while and not kick up a shitstorm even though he's been dealt a bad hand here. Still, if there's no-brainer trade offered with him included you have to consider it.

No one knew what Vladar was going to be. Especially people on here, myself included. He barely played at all until recently where he showed in his last stint in the NHL with the Bruins that he could be serviceable as a back up if needed to be called upon. Then we flip him to Calgary for a mid round pick which in and of itself wouldn't be bad. But then we go out and dump a ridiculous amount of money to bring in Linus Ullmark when the Bruins needed to address other parts of the roster, as usual. Plus, we all knew Rask was probably going to come back on cheap money eventually. Why dump money on Ullmark if you are going to get Rask later and no one else was going to give Linus that kind of money? You might as well have brought back Halak on 1 year, $1-2 million deal.

So now we have no cap flexibility to add to any pieces to some sort of mythical cup run people want to dredge up in their imagination and may have pissed off another prospect. The fact that fans of this team here can be so short sighted and think that we should just "let our prospects sit in Providence" is asinine. They aren't going to get better if they just play AHLers. They are going to plateau and not develop. Just like what happened in Detroit.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Like when he traded a young Luongo and Olli Jokinen for Oleg Kvasha and Mark Parrish?

To be fair to Milbury, the Panthers traded Luongo later for a bag of beans as well to Vancouver so it's not like he was the only one who got fleeced on Luongo. Furthermore,while Bobby Lou and Jokinen had a lot of promise, it would take a while for them to blossom as talents. Especially for Jokinen. Plus, Parrish did have 4 straight 20+ goal seasons for the Islanders.

That said, Milbury's decision to trade them for such a paltry return in just Parrish and a middling center in Kvasha given the talent he was sending in the other direction was just beyond irresponsible. Especially when the player you are banking on to make your trade look smart in Rick DiPietro keeps getting injured while being ridiculously overpaid while you get rid of a generational blue line talent in Zdeno Chara and the pick that became Jason Spezza for Alexei Yashin. The Islanders had the pieces to rebuild and be good, but Milbury was just too impatient.

Edit: Side note. When the Panthers traded Luongo to Vancouver, the Panthers got back another important player Milbury just threw away in a trade back in '98 from the Islanders farm system in Todd Bertuzzi. He, alongside Bryan McCabe (who got flipped in the 99 draft so Brian Burke could get the Sedin Twins) and a 3rd rounder that became Jarko Ruutu, were traded for Trevor Linden. All because Milbury and Islanders management were abrasive dicks to Bertuzzi. What makes that trade even dumber is that Milbury sent Linden to Montreal for the pick that selected Branislav Mezet.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad