Mike Keenan is blacklisted from the NHL?

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Not all coaches who have won the Cup are great, just like not all players are.

This list can't be on the players or Mike is the luckiest coach ever.

As a coach Keenan has won:

OHL Championship
AHL Championship
Canadian university Championship
Stanley Cup
KHL championship

I guess people are right.. he is a terrible coach. He's only won pretty much every major title you can win.

He is a pain to work with, but he gets results. He would be a great coach for the Leafs and he is exactly what they need.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, both players and management. It's not ironic that many of them are part of NHL organizations now and not looking to bring him aboard.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, both players and management. It's not ironic that many of them are part of NHL organizations now and not looking to bring him aboard.

That's actually a pretty good point. I guess Keenan will have to wait for Mark Messier, Brian Noonan, or Stephane Matteau to get an NHL GM gig.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He was interviewed by Finnish hockey magazine Jääkiekkolehti some time ago, he himself said that he's developed as a coach during his time in Russia and how to handle people. Also said a coach is never too old to develop himself when it comes to strategies, tactics etc.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
That's actually a pretty good point. I guess Keenan will have to wait for Mark Messier, Brian Noonan, or Stephane Matteau to get an NHL GM gig.

Didn't Messier say something to the effect of "we just tuned him out and won on our own"?

cujoflutie

the stigma from his cup had well worn off. He only made the playoffs twice in his last 8 NHL seasons. The last time he won a playoff round, he had Wayne Gretzky on the blues.

His demeanour and antics would be acceptable if the teams were winning but they weren't. Look at all the star players he's clashed with; Jeremy Roenick, Brett Hull, Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure, Joe Thornton, and just about every goalie he's had.
With free agency being so important you'd have to wonder if premier players would avoid signing on a team merely because of Keenans presence.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006

Shanahan and Linden will certainly never hire him.

The biggest strike against Keenan might be his history of office intrigue. What GM wants a coach who might be gunning for his job at some point?

Only those with extreme job security would even consider Keenan. Sather, Holland, Lamoriello, Lombardi. That's a tiny pool and they have other good reasons not to hire Keenan.

Klowe/McTavish might be Keenan's only hope if he wants to return.:sarcasm:

Shawarma*

NHL coach is, to some extent, like any other job: you rub too many people the wrong way or burn too many bridges, and you're probably gone.

When your Wikipedia entry reads:

1. Coaching Career
1.1 NHL
1.2 Controversy
1.2 KHL

...you probably made some bad decisions in life.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
1297558470349_ORIGINAL.jpg

Yeah, ok. The problem is that the players of today are generally spoiled mental midgets who can't handle the heat of a true bad ass like Mike.

Russia is perfect for him because Russians don't act like spoiled babies.

Smth. like that. Todays star players wouldn't like him.
I must say, while he is a good coach and is sucessful in Russia he's a specific coach.
For example there is some strange choice in terms of players selection, but however, he is demanding but not too harsh.
Thing is, probably he just got out of tune with current generation. He's a motivator type of coach and his methods don't work anymore with new generation of americans/canadians.

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
the stigma from his cup had well worn off. He only made the playoffs twice in his last 8 NHL seasons. The last time he won a playoff round, he had Wayne Gretzky on the blues.

His demeanour and antics would be acceptable if the teams were winning but they weren't. Look at all the star players he's clashed with; Jeremy Roenick, Brett Hull, Trevor Linden, Pavel Bure, Joe Thornton, and just about every goalie he's had.
With free agency being so important you'd have to wonder if premier players would avoid signing on a team merely because of Keenans presence.

But in Roenick's case he gives Keenan the credit for turning him into a hitting machine against opponents. Keenan literally invented the physical side of Roenick's game.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
The Keenan you guys talk about here is not the one that came to Calgary

He was a lazy old man by this point who mailed in his 2 years. He retired on the job. He let the stars in Calgary do whatever they wanted and refused to reign in Phaneuf. I think it got to a point in the final season where he wasn't showing up to practice and was just texting his assistant coaches the practice plans.

FlutteringSaucer

Apr 27, 2012
He's not being black listed, his time has passed. Teams realize that there are good young up and coming coaches out there.
What? Where are these coaches? :laugh:
I'm sure that both sides have good reasons why Keenan isn't in the NHL but NHL teams searching for young up and coming coaches isn't one of those.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
He was interviewed by Finnish hockey magazine Jääkiekkolehti some time ago, he himself said that he's developed as a coach during his time in Russia and how to handle people. Also said a coach is never too old to develop himself when it comes to strategies, tactics etc.

Sadly your post will be ignored. Around here, people don't believe in change. For the masses, Crosby is still a whiner and a diver. Ovechkin is still a dirty hitter and diver. Subban is still a diver. etc...

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I hate Mike Keenan, he should stay in Russia for his own safety. I kid, I kid, no seriously stay in Russia Mike!

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Mike Keenan is blacklisted from the NHL in the same way I'm blacklisted from NASA.

Not qualified because we'd just go in there and try to make everything explode, cuz 'splosions are cool.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I've been blacklisted by the NHL, only explanation for why I'm not a Norris contender right now really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad