Mike Keenan is blacklisted from the NHL?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
His team won KHL last season, but it seems like russians prefer these crazy old school guys as a coach(very tough on players, like Jortikka/Summanen etc.)

I am not sure if its still the case and if it differs between teams, but just 2-3 years it seems I heard reports of KHL teams litterary, in the true sense of the word, locking up players before home games. As in taking the players to a camp where the door was locked, if you wanted to get out after curfew you were allowed but you had to knock on the door more or less and explain why they should let you out. Family emergency or whatever. The Swedish player that told this story was pretty shocked by it, but he said that it was normal for the Russian players and they expected it. If they wheren't locked up before a game they could get drunks and that was not good before a game. So there is a bit of a different menality.

Rufio65*

As a coach Keenan has won:

OHL Championship
AHL Championship
Canadian university Championship
Stanley Cup
KHL championship

I guess people are right.. he is a terrible coach. He's only won pretty much every major title you can win.

He is a pain to work with, but he gets results. He would be a great coach for the Leafs and he is exactly what they need.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
His team won KHL last season, but it seems like russians prefer these crazy old school guys as a coach(very tough on players, like Jortikka/Summanen etc.)

You all miss the possibility that maybe, just maybe he's not the crazy guy anymore. At least there wasn't a single precendent in the KHL that would remind of the old "Iron Mike". That doesn't mean he needs to be hired by some NHL team ASAP, but one have to find it amazing how reputation solidifies over time. Maybe he's just not the man he was 20 years ago.

Reactions: spazway49

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I am not sure if its still the case and if it differs between teams, but just 2-3 years it seems I heard reports of KHL teams litterary, in the true sense of the word, locking up players before home games. As in taking the players to a camp where the door was locked, if you wanted to get out after curfew you were allowed but you had to knock on the door more or less and explain why they should let you out. Family emergency or whatever. The Swedish player that told this story was pretty shocked by it, but he said that it was normal for the Russian players and they expected it. If they wheren't locked up before a game they could get drunks and that was not good before a game. So there is a bit of a different menality.

There is 80% of your western fears about Russia in it. Always fun to read those stories.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Probably one of the only coaches guys would want to play for less than they would Tortorella.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I know he's coaching right now in Russia but isn't he basically blacklisted from the NHL? There is never any mention that an NHL team is interested in having him coach again. Essentially he's been run out of the league. Does anyone else find that a little strange?

As GM of the Panthers he once traded Luongo and prospect for Bertuzzi, Allen and Auld. Pretty much demolished the franchise. Yes, that one move. I hope I never see that moronic fool's mug in the NHL ever again.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Well, people do complain about over-coaching these days and too many "systems"....

People complain about if when they are whining about how games in which they have no personal stake aren't entertaining. Those same people sure as heck will not tolerate more losses for their team because their team's coach is being routinely out-coached on the tactical side of things by the other coaches.

Yamaguchi*

Keenan is a legend.

His team won KHL last season.. The first coach to win Stanley Cup and KHL. Like him or not, but he's a winner.

Yes, Stanley Cup, KHL and Canada Cup. A truly unique achievement.

This makes Keenan literally the best of both worlds

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
And this is while Adam Oates has a job.

The Caps actually interviewed him during the process that Oates got the job.

I've read articles, posts and JRs book. Keenan is a wannabe Scotty Bowman who's stupid psychological tactics just won't work today.

Damien

Jul 26, 2002
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
He really was not that bad in Calgary... the team played well under him.
They made the playoffs both years and the team was looking really good but got unfortunate injuries to pooch one of the playoff runs. Really Alex Tanguay was the only "victim" of Keenan's during his time here.

Reactions: Fixxer

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Look at how many organizations he ruined with his terrible decisions in management (or behind the bench).

He's an old dinosaur who doesn't belong behind any bench today.

1297558470349_ORIGINAL.jpg

Yeah, ok. The problem is that the players of today are generally spoiled mental midgets who can't handle the heat of a true bad ass like Mike.

Russia is perfect for him because Russians don't act like spoiled babies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He was one of the rumoured candidates for the coaching job in Pittsburgh, along with Wilson. For better or for worse, neither of them were hired.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Short version for why Keenan isn't in the NHL and likely won't be:

- He's extremely high-strung and unpredictable, so players tune him out pretty quickly
- He's been accused repeatedly of being manipulative and underhanded, including going over the GM's head to try to take over control of personnel decisions
- He has zero clue how to actually put a team together, so a team that puts him in charge would see quality players shipped out so that a long-retired Brian Noonan could suit up again

The only way that he'd ever make it in the NHL again would be if ownership decided to interview him, then sat in on the interviews and pushed specifically for him. Most owners became successful in business and are drawn to a guy who will slam his fist down on the table and talk about "discipline" and "accountability" while suggesting that the players on the team (read: "the younger generation") shouldn't be babied.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
They guy is a bully and ruined multiple franchises due to his ego and desire to be the one in control. Why would you want someone like that in your organization? Cup win be damned, the guy is an ******** and a bully. He deserves to be where he is.

The Suit*

He is too much of a hard liner for today's young NHL players. Young players today are too sensitive to take yelling and screaming. Sounds silly but that's what happens when you get a generation of helicopter parents that won't let their kids fall of their bike.

I would have loved to have Mike take over the temp coaching job for the Leafs. Bag skate those lazy bums every day. That will teach them to mail it in and stop making excuses.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
it's not strange at all

yes he's had success in the past but his abrasive coaching style and past reputation is why he won't get another coaching job in the NHL anytime soon. his style didn't sit well with players years ago and it definitely wouldn't sit well with today's NHL'ers. players just tune him out.

after the BS he pulled in florida with the luongo trade and then bolting town shortly after, i wouldn't want him anywhere near my team

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Watch the movie Whiplash. He's basically JK Simmons character. Which is crazy because there isn't a music educator in the existence of time who would act like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad