Mike Keenan is blacklisted from the NHL?

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
I know he's coaching right now in Russia but isn't he basically blacklisted from the NHL? There is never any mention that an NHL team is interested in having him coach again. Essentially he's been run out of the league. Does anyone else find that a little strange?

Reactions: vandymeer13

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Mike Keenan's approach to his players is less and less tenable in this day and age. For it to work you have to be a brilliant coach, which he just isn't.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I know he's coaching right now in Russia but isn't he basically blacklisted from the NHL? There is never any mention that an NHL team is interested in having him coach again. Essentially he's been run out of the league. Does anyone else find that a little strange?

There are better options available. NHL coaching has evolved dramatically since the 80s and early 90s when Keenan was successful. The last playoff series Keenan won was almost 20 years ago.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
My dad's got a conspiracy theory that he was sent in by the league to purposefully dismantle the '94 Canucks team, because apparently that's the only thing that could reasonably justify what he did to that core.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
My dad's got a conspiracy theory that he was sent in by the league to purposefully dismantle the '94 Canucks team, because apparently that's the only thing that could reasonably justify what he did to that core.

That would make sense had he not gone to St. Louis after leading the Rangers to a Stanley Cup. That was another dick move on his part. He joined Vancouver in '97.

Kirikanoir

Dec 16, 2010
I would not wish Mike Keenan on my most hated team...except maybe Boston, that would be hilarious to watch him destroy the bruins

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I think the days of Keenan and partly Tortorella are slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Coaches like AV could and should be the future - getting accountability from his players without being a **** to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
According to Trevor Linden, MIke Keenan was the worst coach he played under. I'm not even sure how the hell the Rangers won the Stanley cup with him behind the bench, makes you wonder if they had a better coach, they probably beat the Canucks in 4 straight.

He said that Mike Keenan had no system in place. there was no structure or tactic or style. It was just "go crazy". No joke. I will try to find that video later.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

It's not strange at all. He's an awful coach and he's hated by players and management alike. Why would anyone want him?

Reactions: BattleLevel

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Do I find it strange? Yes absolutely.

Having followed hockey and the NHL closely for quite some time now, I actually find it a bit remarkable that so many "super" coaches just fails to adopt, time after time after time.

Physically, lol, most of these coaches should have a life expectancy as a coach of what 20-40 years. Extremely few however survive a bigger change in the game and they occur on a regular basis more or less, say 10-15 years inbetween.

You have Keenan, but he is the norm not the exception. Look at the best coaches from like 1990 to 2015, how many haven't fallen hopelessly behind the development and failed miserably before being run out of the league completely? 9 of 10?

So yes I am suprised. I've seen this happen twice, and in reality four times because first it happend in Europe and then a few years later in NA each time. And extremely few adopted. First when teams started trapping, then when teams adopted to the game after the redline offside rule was removed along with the crack down on clutching and grabbing. Keenan and co that refused to trap even when it was obvious that you had to use some version of the trap after in the mid 90's. Lemiere, one of the greates hockey minds I've witnessed, "hey I am gonna use an extreme 1-3-1 trap system even witout a redline offside rule and even when my players can't clutch and grab". There where many trapping coaches in this boat. Torts, Hartley, Crawford and co, real phantom coaches before 05', they kept playing that style designed to be used by a team with skilled centers against trapping teams pre-05' after the lockout.

Would you be suprised if the game changed a bit and some teams adjusted and gained a big advantage on other teams, and this was really really obvious to everyone, but guys like Babcock and the other top 10 coaches in the league completely refused to adopt and destroyed their teams by hanging on to what worked in "2015"? You know, I am almost sure this is what will happen too lol for these guys seem unable to adjust. In 5-10 years something will happen in the game, for some reason, rule change maybe, or more probably some kind of development among the players or even their equipment, will cause a change in the game. Goalies becoming too good using some kind of new training technique. Players shooting a lot better due to new sticks. Maybe bigger nets, a newly desgined puck. A player dies due to a hit and changed rules changes the game. Players becoming just fantastic at blocking shots. 1 or 2 or 5 or 10 teams will adopt faster than others and find a way to pwn the rest. You would believe that the rest of the coaches will adopt like when teams started to play the trap and pwned the rest, but I very much doubt that these coaches will be better than this than the brilliant hockey minds we have seen failed miserably at it previous years.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Dude is a jackass. I mean, he's just all-around impossible guy to work with.

One interesting tidbit:

""Iron Mike" was also notorious for pulling or switching his goaltenders, sometimes multiple times in a period. In game 4 of the first round of the 1987 playoffs, Keenan pulled his goalies, Ron Hextall and Glenn Resch, a total of five times in a single game (the 5th time to gain a man-advantage in the last minute of play)."

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

If you're familiar with his history, it's not really strange at all.

MM--do have any idea of the back story?

he did not get blackballed--he just can not handle the new nhl and he never played nicely with the gms he had. Too much drama comes with him. he is also 65 years --how many head coaches in the league are over 60 or 65? without looking i will say 2

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
There are better options available. NHL coaching has evolved dramatically since the 80s and early 90s when Keenan was successful. The last playoff series Keenan won was almost 20 years ago.

His team won KHL last season, but it seems like russians prefer these crazy old school guys as a coach(very tough on players, like Jortikka/Summanen etc.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad