Mike Keenan is blacklisted from the NHL?

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Looks like age has mellowed him. Easy to rip on the guy but he won a cup. Funny career.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He isn't blacklisted, teams simply want nothing to do with him. He is a control freak and a blowhard who makes major decisions on a whim that adversely affect the teams he has been on for the foreseeable future.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
The game has past him by. Things have changed. The fact the russians thought he was nuts tells you sometjing

Reactions: Patrik26

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He won the Gagarin cup in 2014. Doesn't he have prostate cancer? Maybe he's had a bunch of offers, he's just taking it easy

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
One major thing is that he'd have to choose between coaching or being a GM. It's not like it used to be. You can't do both at that level anymore. He wants to be too involved. If a guy like Patrick Roy left the NHL because things couldn't go his way, I don't see a guy like Keenan coming back.

I'd say things are looking pretty good for him in the KHL :

tikhonovkeenan.jpg

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
That's an idiotic comment from Linden.

All you have to do is watch a team play and you can see what system they are playing. I'd be amazed if Linden really made that claim because it's ridiculously stupid.

he did say this, and some of our players also said the same about John Torterella. keep in mind, Linden and Keenan didn't get a long, so yes, its one of those you can choose one side to believe or not.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
he did say this, and some of our players also said the same about John Torterella. keep in mind, Linden and Keenan didn't get a long, so yes, its one of those you can choose one side to believe or not.

It's not an issue of "believing." It's pretty obvious, simply by watching a team play, what system the are playing. It would be the first thing reported in the paper every day after each game. Fans would be outraged. Every analyst would be talking about. It's not exactly a mystery what systems teams play.

The idea that Brian Burke, that General Manager, would be sitting there night after night watching an NHL team out there on the ice with no system in place is absurd.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It's not an issue of "believing." It's pretty obvious, simply by watching a team play, what system the are playing. It would be the first thing reported in the paper every day after each game. Fans would be outraged. Every analyst would be talking about. It's not exactly a mystery what systems teams play.

The idea that Brian Burke, that General Manager, would be sitting there night after night watching an NHL team out there on the ice with no system in place is absurd.

oh they were a bad team, you are correct, they were horrible, it was sad to see.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
According to Trevor Linden, MIke Keenan was the worst coach he played under. I'm not even sure how the hell the Rangers won the Stanley cup with him behind the bench, makes you wonder if they had a better coach, they probably beat the Canucks in 4 straight.

He said that Mike Keenan had no system in place. there was no structure or tactic or style. It was just "go crazy". No joke. I will try to find that video later.
Same thing was said about Melrose. But people complain that players dont have the freedom to allow creative play like Gretzky. And that every team basically plays the same system.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
I wish keenan would come back and be an assistant. Alot of these premadonnas in the nhl could use a tough coach like him, especially during a slump.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think the days of Keenan and partly Tortorella are slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Coaches like AV could and should be the future - getting accountability from his players without being a **** to them.

Never felt Keenan and Tortorella were in the same boat. To me, Tortorella is just a hot head and wears his emotions on his sleeve. He also judges who he likes and doesn't like and if he doesn't like you, tough road winning him over. However, I feel like players that do well under him he's loyal to and not generally a jerk.

Fast forward to Keenan, he seems just your typical dirt bag type of coach. No loyalty, loves ya one day and then forgets about it and hates you the next. He seems like a completely different kind of ahole than Tortorella. That's my two cents anyway.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Never felt Keenan and Tortorella were in the same boat. To me, Tortorella is just a hot head and wears his emotions on his sleeve. He also judges who he likes and doesn't like and if he doesn't like you, tough road winning him over. However, I feel like players that do well under him he's loyal to and not generally a jerk.

Fast forward to Keenan, he seems just your typical dirt bag type of coach. No loyalty, loves ya one day and then forgets about it and hates you the next. He seems like a completely different kind of ahole than Tortorella. That's my two cents anyway.
Another issue with comparing Torts to Keenan is that Torts actually isnt an a-hole. He's a d*ck to the media, but players and fans love him. Its not 2013 anymore

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think he ever got blacklisted. The guy was a head coach in the nhl for the better part of 25 years which is a heck of a run by anyone's standards.

Time has a way of pushing you out eventually, no matter who you are.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
My dad's got a conspiracy theory that he was sent in by the league to purposefully dismantle the '94 Canucks team, because apparently that's the only thing that could reasonably justify what he did to that core.
I don't understand Canuck fans logic on this. I lived in Vancouver during this entire era, and nothing any Canucks fan tells me makes any sense.

The 94 Canucks were a flash in the pan. You guys were NEVER contenders in that era.
Keenan was NEVER GM of the Canucks, but I'll play along.
Everything Keenan did lead to the West Coast Express era of the Canucks.

During the short-lived Tom Renney era, you were already way out of the playoffs, You were NOT contenders.
Even though Keenan is blamed for the plummet down the standings.

Check for yourself. That is false. Keenan joined AFTER the Canucks missed the playoffs.

What was the trade that absolutely CRUCIFIED him in Vancouver?

Trading the horribly slow and washed up Trevor Linden, for the best power forward in Hockey.

- Todd Bertuzzi - Best Power forward in the NHL, with back to back 90 point seasons in the DPE.
- Bryan McCabe - A potential top line Dman, who nearly put up a PPG - Who ended up being the key piece back for a SEDIN
- Jarkko Ruutu - fan favorite super-pest.

Sorry you make that trade any day of the week, especially considering the Canucks window was long closed and were rebuilding and no longer a playoff team. You can try and pretend like Linden was your Yzerman / Sakic, but he wasnt close.
Linden never topped 47 points again in his career.

What else?
Martin Gelinas, and Kirk MacLean. for Sean Burke Geoff Sanderson.

Kirk MacLean was NO LONGER A STARTER as much as you wished he were. He put up putrid numbers
6 Wins 17 Losses with a .879%
He was a giant pile of horseshit when he was traded for BURKE who went onto be a top 10 goalie for a really long-time.
Gelinas never came close to 30 goals either.
Sanderson quickly became fan favorite Brad May.

Brian Burke received ALL of the credit for the Keenan era trades.
Keenan trades aren't that bad. You just hated that you were in the basement, and pin all that hatred on Messier and Keenan.

Both of them came AFTER you guys were in the basement.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I know he's coaching right now in Russia but isn't he basically blacklisted from the NHL? There is never any mention that an NHL team is interested in having him coach again. Essentially he's been run out of the league. Does anyone else find that a little strange?

He is generally regarded as a bad person who was average at his job.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I don't understand Canuck fans logic on this. I lived in Vancouver during this entire era, and nothing any Canucks fan tells me makes any sense.

The 94 Canucks were a flash in the pan. You guys were NEVER contenders in that era.
Keenan was NEVER GM of the Canucks, but I'll play along.
Everything Keenan did lead to the West Coast Express era of the Canucks.

During the short-lived Tom Renney era, you were already way out of the playoffs, You were NOT contenders.
Even though Keenan is blamed for the plummet down the standings.

Check for yourself. That is false. Keenan joined AFTER the Canucks missed the playoffs.

What was the trade that absolutely CRUCIFIED him in Vancouver?

Trading the horribly slow and washed up Trevor Linden, for the best power forward in Hockey.

- Todd Bertuzzi - Best Power forward in the NHL, with back to back 90 point seasons in the DPE.
- Bryan McCabe - A potential top line Dman, who nearly put up a PPG - Who ended up being the key piece back for a SEDIN
- Jarkko Ruutu - fan favorite super-pest.

Sorry you make that trade any day of the week, especially considering the Canucks window was long closed and were rebuilding and no longer a playoff team. You can try and pretend like Linden was your Yzerman / Sakic, but he wasnt close.
Linden never topped 47 points again in his career.

What else?
Martin Gelinas, and Kirk MacLean. for Sean Burke Geoff Sanderson.

Kirk MacLean was NO LONGER A STARTER as much as you wished he were. He put up putrid numbers
6 Wins 17 Losses with a .879%
He was a giant pile of horseshit when he was traded for BURKE who went onto be a top 10 goalie for a really long-time.
Gelinas never came close to 30 goals either.
Sanderson quickly became fan favorite Brad May.

Brian Burke received ALL of the credit for the Keenan era trades.
Keenan trades aren't that bad. You just hated that you were in the basement, and pin all that hatred on Messier and Keenan.

Both of them came AFTER you guys were in the basement.

I was born in 95 so Im ill equipped to respond to this critique, but my understanding is mostly that it is a lot of hatred for how he split up Bure and Odjick, which resulted in Bure getting taken advantage of and injured and the downfall of his career. Bure was a folk hero in those days, moreso than Linden and the others

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I was born in 95 so Im ill equipped to respond to this critique, but my understanding is mostly that it is a lot of hatred for how he split up Bure and Odjick, which resulted in Bure getting taken advantage of and injured and the downfall of his career. Bure was a folk hero in those days, moreso than Linden and the others
Bure played nearly the full season under Keenan.
He was split up from Odjick injured under Renney.

He refused to play for Marc Crawford and Brian Burke.
Its VERY well reported it had everything to do with money, and Pat Quinn.
From the archives: Why Pavel Bure wanted out of Vancouver

Also that era wasn't the 80's. Instigator rule was long put in.

Odjick would only fight another goon in a staged fight. They had Troy Crowder as well.
And they brought in Brashear the next year.

Nothing was stopping Bure from getting cheap-shot.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The Caps actually interviewed him during the process that Oates got the job.

I've read articles, posts and JRs book. Keenan is a wannabe Scotty Bowman who's stupid psychological tactics just won't work today.

Scotty's wouldn't either more then likely

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
He was a good coach in the right fit but also had a short expiry date. Some players have said his hard nosed style has made them a better player. Some don’t. Times have changed tho, if a guy like Babcock is consider a bully then he wouldn’t work on any team right now.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think the way the game is played and coach has passed him by. He emerged relatively unscathed from his behind the scenes failed power grab during the 1994 playoffs, but its seemed clear after he left and didn't replicate the same success how important Messier was a buffer.

The biggest issue is his short shelf life. If he doesn't find immediate success, he becomes less and less effective.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think you mean Gen Z. Gen X officially ends in 1981.
Loose definition of the generation.

Most of the key contributors to the 94 Rangers had 1960's birthdays.

You could say boomers technically ended in 64, but its a gradient not a hard cutoff.

And yeah his style suited the boomers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad