Confirmed with Link: Mike Johnston fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I see that we're off to a great start this morning. Let's drive away the inside info, that seems absolutely brilliant and awesome. Genius and it all seems so mature and not at all stupid and petty.

A couple of small updates:

1) I wouldn't be shocked if the lineup tonight remains unchanged, including the d-pairs. I get the sense that the Pens are going to ride the "we were done in by a bad system" and they may allow the players to prove that.

Now, if it does remain unchanged, please don't get discouraged and think "same ole same ole," because I do think...

2) the reason Sullivan was given the 3-year deal is because there was a perception, at least internally, that Mike Johnston's career went:

Hot Start => Sid gets mumps => Geno injured => Letang injured => Lame Duck

in other words, MJ's authority was undermined almost from the get-go. Sullivan is going in, and I do believe he's been given the authority (and a longer contract is part of that) to trim the fat.

I've wondered if that played into it, too, tbh. What effect the injuries had on Bylsma and Shero over the years as well.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Because I don't believe in positivity, I'm a realist

Sarcasm. Let's move on shall we? We finally do have something to be positive about as Pens fans and reason for optimism. No need to keep throw petty insults around.

Kiith Nabaal

Oct 11, 2013
I mean, the penguins site seemed to indicate tonight's lineup would be unchanged:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=792449&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

The Pens did use line combinations about midway through the practice, and they remained unchanged from the last game. For now, Sullivan plans to keep them that way until he gets a better feel for the team.

“Everything’s on the table,†Sullivan said. “I spoke with the coaching staff this morning about that and got their input and the line combinations the defense pairs as they are. I’m not sure what I’m going to do as far as (Monday’s game against Washington) is concerned. But I’d like to get a little bit closer to it myself so I can get an assessment of what the line combinations look like and what kind of chemistry is there and if there is a need to try to tweak things. I’m looking forward to the opportunity to start playing games so I can see for myself and get a first-hand view of how this team is playing.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
No change from the get-go is the right move. If something obvious appears quickly like say Scuderi just isn't a fit anymore, the coach can better justify making a move given he has had time and games played. Especially in this organization where conservatism is the norm.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah....and I don't mind Kunitz with Sid right now, as #14 has finally decided to show a pulse. Let's see if it continues.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No change from the get-go is the right move. If something obvious appears quickly like say Scuderi just isn't a fit anymore, the coach can better justify making a move given he has had time and games played. Especially in this organization where conservatism is the norm.

Scuderi's not a fit anymore. That's been proven.

Scud's being a permanent press box guy should have been a 'requirement' of Sully's promotion.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
MJ was an assistant/associate NHL coach for like 8 years. Other than not having previous NHL head coach experience (which is certainly important), their resumes are fairly similar.

:thumbu:

Johnston is a long-time protege of Marc Crawford's. Crawford was the guy who brought him into the NHL in the first place.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Yes.

My understanding is, Sullivan is the coach who can do whatever he wants WITHIN CERTAIN PARAMETERS THAT THE MANAGEMENT HAS TOLD HIM THEY EXPECT. Insomuch that JR made certain expectations clear to MJ, they were reinforced as part of Sullivan being given the job.

On top of that, it includes instilling the sort of control over a team the coach should have (regarding accountability, play time, etc...), and it was thought that a 3-year deal would be best to give him that authority.

If the team just falls apart and misses the playoffs, don't expect JR and company to be like 'oh well, let's try again next year with the same setup!"

if I did this, people would just say I'm doing it for attention. There's literally no way for me to say anything that doesn't offend someone's sensibilities. The idea that I would just invent something that people don't like, simply to piss them off or something.

Funny that they'd do that with Sullivan after no doing it with Johnston, no? It seems like the implication was that they never intended to keep Johnston beyond this season...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah you really need to step it up. Although in fairness to you, we have kind of gone off the collective deep end the last 2 years.

I mean, I've been pretty much just coasting off of my championship performance from six years ago. Who are these upstarts? Don't they know what I've done? Who I am?

Okay, I admit it. I'm Rob Scuderi.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
:thumbu:

Johnston is a long-time protege of Marc Crawford's. Crawford was the guy who brought him into the NHL in the first place.

Yup I don't really buy the "junior coach" thing with MJ. He had plenty of coaching experience at the highest levels. His personality and "professor style" as Beau put it, probably wasn't the right fit for this group. That and his personnel usage were my biggest gripes but the man really knows the game. Maybe his style isn't the right fit as an NHL head coach, but he was certainly experienced and prepared enough.

That said, personality, communication, getting players to buy in, inspire them, and holding them accountable are BIG parts of coaching at any level. Hopefully Sully can succeed in those areas where MJ seemed to fail.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Yeah....and I don't mind Kunitz with Sid right now, as #14 has finally decided to show a pulse. Let's see if it continues.

I do mind. Kunitz is 36 years old. He should not play 20mins of ice hockey in the NHL anymore. I'm pretty sure he will not sustain his current play (which imo isn't as good as most guys feel like. He was getting a few lucky bounces and threw some nice hits. But I would not call him special or the "Kuni-Crosby Magic" to came back)

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yup I don't really buy the "junior coach" thing with MJ. He had plenty of coaching experience at the highest levels. His personality and "professor style" as Beau put it, probably wasn't the right fit for this group. That and his personnel usage were my biggest gripes but the man really knows the game. Maybe his style isn't the right fit as an NHL head coach, but he was certainly experienced and prepared enough.

I think on some levels this is definitely true. But I think there's a bit of a shock to most young coaches when they realize how quickly the opposition figures out their system and how to counter it. Really good coaches adapt or figure out new ways to exploit the strengths of their roster. Most coaches don't and, consequently, shuffle around the league. Or coach elsewhere.

I definitely give MJ credit for trying to adapt, given the amount of tweaking he did while he was here, but it seems like he never figured out how to use the roster he was given (for better or worse) to its best. The same can be said of Therrien or Bylsma. I'm not convinced that Sullivan will be a great coach either, but I'm willing to see what he does with this roster before getting defeatist about the season.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think on some levels this is definitely true. But I think there's a bit of a shock to most young coaches when they realize how quickly the opposition figures out their system and how to counter it. Really good coaches adapt or figure out new ways to exploit the strengths of their roster. Most coaches don't and, consequently, shuffle around the league. Or coach elsewhere.

I definitely give MJ credit for trying to adapt, given the amount of tweaking he did while he was here, but it seems like he never figured out how to use the roster he was given (for better or worse) to its best. The same can be said of Therrien or Bylsma. I'm not convinced that Sullivan will be a great coach either, but I'm willing to see what he does with this roster before getting defeatist about the season.

Totally fair. I agree with that assessment. My comment was more about their resumes and experience. MJ didn't pan out and Sullivan may be a better coach. That said Sully's resume isn't a whole lot different than MJ.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

I think the biggest issue MJ faced, especially this year, is that the holes in the roster aren't spread out like they were when Therrien or Bylsma were here. Those days, you'd have a weak 4th line and a weak bottom pairing on D. But there was enough there with the others that it wasn't a huge deal. Now we're strong from top to bottom up front, but very weak in just about every aspect defensively. This group of defensemen struggles to generate offense, struggles to transition the puck, and struggles to play defense -- it's wasn't a good situation for MJ, and it's not a good situation for Sullivan.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Scuderi's not a fit anymore. That's been proven.

Scud's being a permanent press box guy should have been a 'requirement' of Sully's promotion.

Therein lies the biggest problem this organization has. I don't want to speculate but maybe there is some truth to Crosby being disgruntled by Lemieux of late because I have a hard time believing it's anything but the owners causing the ultra-conservative mindset so often seen in Pittsburgh.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Totally fair. I agree with that assessment. My comment was more about their resumes and experience. MJ didn't pan out and Sullivan may be a better coach. That said Sully's resume isn't a whole lot different than MJ.

There's lots of similarities, sure. I guess we'll see what Sullivan picked up from his first attempt at being a NHL head coach. :laugh:

In all honesty, though, I convinced it's the sort of thing nobody's good at immediately. Even the great coaches seem to spend a lot of time working with other great coaches before they head out on their own. I do feel that Johnston kind of got a raw deal with his time here, but you live and learn, and Johnston could be back in the league some day, if conditions are right. Coaching in the juniors is fine, but an NHL team has other needs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well there's one crucial adjustment and that's benching Scuderi forever.

Ok yeah, I'm fine with doing that one asap haha

The other thing I hope is that he doesn't overly respect experience like the last two guys have. That's been a killer for years now. Hopefully his time with torts will help him with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad