Dec 17, 2017
Apologies if this has been posted, here is The Sporting News trade grade:

TRADE: Green heads west

Edmonton receives:Detroit receives:
Mike Green (D)Kyle Brodziak (F), 2020 or 2021 conditional draft pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Oilers: B+
Detroit: A

Mike Green is having a down year, but then so is everyone on the Red Wings. The experienced RHD boosts Edmonton's overall depth and adds some offensive thrust to the rearguard. For Detroit,, who retains 50 percent of Green's $2,687,500 cap hit, this is all about adding assets to an oncoming rebuild.

Reactions: 2xJack

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I was meh on this, as I think he still should have gotten a for sure 3rd without taking back a cap dump, although that is a nothing burger anyway since it is just the rest of the year. Mike Green will look a lot better on a team where he isn't the go to guy or one of the top 2/3 guys and will get less 5 on 5 time. I think he still holds value in a lesser 5v5 role and pp time.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Hey guys,

Quick question: Can he still skate? How's his passing? Anything left in the tank?

Thanks!

He should do well in a limited 3rd pairing / 2 PPQB role.
Asking him to log more than 13 min a game is probably too much at this point for him.
He could fill in for a top 4 role but it's not ideal by any means.

Still has a good pass, skating is ok/decent and as far as gas in the tank it really depends on the night.
He has some health issues that seem to affect him at random times.
When he is on he is still NHL quality, but when he is off it's a shit show.

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I wish him the best. Always really liked him here.

It’s too bad he has a history with injuries because I feel like even at his age he’d be valued more.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
*Conditions: The 2020 4th round pick upgrades to a 2021 3rd round pick if Edmonton advances to the Conference Final, and Green plays in 50% of the games.

Guess we aren't getting that 3rd if Greener is out 3-4 weeks. Been a bummer seeing him struggle to stay healthy.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
sigh this likely means we are not getting bumped to the 3rd for him playing 50% of their playoff games or whatever

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Apologies if this has been posted, here is The Sporting News trade grade:

TRADE: Green heads west

Edmonton receives:Detroit receives:
Mike Green (D)Kyle Brodziak (F), 2020 or 2021 conditional draft pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Oilers: B+
Detroit: A

Mike Green is having a down year, but then so is everyone on the Red Wings. The experienced RHD boosts Edmonton's overall depth and adds some offensive thrust to the rearguard. For Detroit,, who retains 50 percent of Green's $2,687,500 cap hit, this is all about adding assets to an oncoming rebuild.
Wow, that's a bit of a stretch. I get that we're horrible and selling off assets is a necessity and I wasn't expecting more in return, but how does adding a 4th/3rd round pick EVER get you a grade of an 'A'? That pick has such a small chance of ever reaching the NHL

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Because we got something for literally nothing.
I mean, I'm happy about getting something...but why bother with grading if that's how you're going to treat it?
4th rounder: A
7th rounder: A
7th rounder in 2026: A
2nd round pick: A
1st round pick: A
Nathan Mackinnon: A
Seth Jones: A

Those returns are not all equal, and there is certainly room to go up from a 4th/3rd rd pick (the Jensen trade got a 2nd round pick and a young, former high draft pick)

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I mean, I'm happy about getting something...but why bother with grading if that's how you're going to treat it?
4th rounder: A
7th rounder: A
7th rounder in 2026: A
2nd round pick: A
1st round pick: A
Nathan Mackinnon: A
Seth Jones: A

Those returns are not all equal, and there is certainly room to go up from a 4th/3rd rd pick (the Jensen trade got a 2nd round pick and a young, former high draft pick)

The grade is based on a realistic return for a 34 year old UFA with injury trouble. A 7th wouldn't have gotten an A and mentioning Jones and MacKinnon as possible returns is absurd.

Jensen is/was 5 years younger and healthier.

By giving it an A they're saying thats the best you could get for Green.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Man people find any way to nit pick. We got a 4th rounder for someone that would have been on IR. The simple fact of how likely it is that he would end up on IR is why he only returned a 4th rounder.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Wow, that's a bit of a stretch. I get that we're horrible and selling off assets is a necessity and I wasn't expecting more in return, but how does adding a 4th/3rd round pick EVER get you a grade of an 'A'? That pick has such a small chance of ever reaching the NHL

Ya I thought an "A" was a bit of a stretch as well, it must just speak to how low Green's value was at the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00