Confirmed with Link: Mike Green to EDM for Kyle Brodiak and a Conditional Pick

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
To be fair, after the Quincey trade Yzerman owed Holland a favor :laugh:

I wouldn't call it a wash though, Yzerman got a first round pick (Vasalevski) for Quincy. Not like we were going to get anything for Green really but if Holland was 'Repaying' that sweet heart christmas present deal it would take more than a 4th.

So if this is considered Yzerman's 'return favor' this also screws the wings becasue in the first trade the value overwhelmingly went to tampa, now the value is going to Edm. So the wings fans lose both deals.

Anyway its not a big deal unless we find out Toronto offered a 3rd or 2nd or something and Yzerman gave it to Holland.

I am just glad we got to send another Holland plug to the glue factory and got something for it, anything at all is good.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I wouldn't call it a wash though, Yzerman got a first round pick (Vasalevski) for Quincy. Not like we were going to get anything for Green really but if Holland was 'Repaying' that sweet heart christmas present deal it would take more than a 4th.

So if this is considered Yzerman's 'return favor' this also screws the wings becasue in the first trade the value overwhelmingly went to tampa, now the value is going to Edm. So the wings fans lose both deals.

Anyway its not a big deal unless we find out Toronto offered a 3rd or 2nd or something and Yzerman gave it to Holland.

I am just glad we got to send another Holland plug to the glue factory and got something for it, anything at all is good.

I mean, it was a joke?!

Personally, I only expected a 3rd round pick at best for Green, so a cond. 4th is fair value imo.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Can't remember where it was, but I saw a tweet earlier that said Green "waived" his modified NTC for this trade.

I guess that means Edmonton was on his 10 team no trade list and they were unable to get a better offer from one of the other 20? If so, ouch.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I mean, it was a joke?!

Personally, I only expected a 3rd round pick at best for Green, so a cond. 4th is fair value imo.

No worries lol per ShelbyZ it seems likely a better trade didn't turn up any way. I was also hoping for a 3rd but it looks like no one was coughing it up. Considering Edm place in the standings its also going to be a late 4th :( But that we got anything is a good deal.

It's just that if it turns out a better deal was available and Yzerman did this to Holland as a favor I would be pissed. Not grab the torches pissed but erk'd for sure.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
A 4th that could turn into a 3rd is much better than I hoped to get back for Green. We could have waived him and most of the NHL would have taken a pass. I was honestly thinking we wouldn't get more than a late round pick. Never expected a mid round pick.

EATS 50%, takes back a LTIR and only get's a 4th. That's a nice gesture from Yzerman.

My assumption is you're not familiar with Edmonton's cap situation. Yzerman didn't do any favors for Holland. In fact, I bet the only reason we got a 4th/3rd round pick out of Green is that Edmonton needed a team to take back offsetting salary in a trade. I view it more as Holland did Yzerman a solid, or Yzerman took advantage of Holland's propensity to pursue the same players over and over. Green is not worth anywhere near 5.3M. He's a walking injury and his production this season has been terrible. There's very little trade value there. The fact that Edmonton was in an extremely tight spot played to our advantage, not the other way around.

Reactions: Snuggs

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
No worries lol per ShelbyZ it seems likely a better trade didn't turn up any way. I was also hoping for a 3rd but it looks like no one was coughing it up. Considering Edm place in the standings its also going to be a late 4th :( But that we got anything is a good deal.

It's just that if it turns out a better deal was available and Yzerman did this to Holland as a favor I would be pissed. Not grab the torches pissed but erk'd for sure.

It's also possible that other interested teams wanted the Wings to take on more negatively impactful salary than Brodziak's.

The Caps were also reportedly interested, but maybe it was only in a 1 on 1 for Jensen as speculated. Or even Green+ for Jensen, both of which make little sense for the Wings.

The trade is eerily similar to Vanek's, where the Wings get a conditional mid rounder and a piece of salary that cancels out most of the "real" money they take on after the rental is 50% retained.

Reactions: Retire91

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
I would have thought we would have gotten more for Green at 50% and also taking in a cap dump.

My thoughts were that Green was going @50% no matter what.I felt no team would take him otherwise so the retention didn't figure into my value too much. With a cap dump the price could have gone up but the dump we took back was not very large at all. More of a contract swap then a cap dump.

Reactions: 2xJack

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
My thoughts were that Green was going @50% no matter what.I felt no team would take him otherwise so the retention didn't figure into my value too much. With a cap dump the price could have gone up but the dump we took back was not very large at all. More of a contract swap then a cap dump.
Be that as it may, I was still thinking we could get a guaranteed 3rd for said package. oh well. Hopefully Kenny returns the favor one day.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
Be that as it may, I was still thinking we could get a guaranteed 3rd for said package. oh well. Hopefully Kenny returns the favor one day.

No I agree there, would have really like a 3rd out of this trade. But a 4th isn't that far off the mark here.
I think if a better offer was on the tabe Yzerman would have taken it. So at least we get a 4th for Green, who we wouldn't sign next year anyways.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
It's also possible that other interested teams wanted the Wings to take on more negatively impactful salary than Brodziak's.

The Caps were also reportedly interested, but maybe it was only in a 1 on 1 for Jensen as speculated. Or even Green+ for Jensen, both of which make little sense for the Wings.

The trade is eerily similar to Vanek's, where the Wings get a conditional mid rounder and a piece of salary that cancels out most of the "real" money they take on after the rental is 50% retained.

This trade is almost exactly like the Vanek one. Older player who is clearly past their prime and slowing down. Overpaid. There is a very small market for a player like that. The idea of getting back something like a 2nd rounder is crazy. I think some people had unrealistic expectations.

If anything, we were in an even weaker position this time around. Green's salary is twice what Vanek's was and Vanek was actually having a good season (38 points in 48 games) when we dealt him. This pretty much proves that Yzerman got a max return for Green. There were no better deals to be made.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Why should we trade AA for peanuts?

Green was virus-infected dagamed goods, never the same athlete again he was with us on first years. Athanasiou is still a legit human being.

I don’t particularly love your descriptions, but exactly my point.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I missed the part about it becoming a 3rd. If its a 3rd that does make the trade much better.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Honestly given Green's injuries and his modified NTC I thought the Wings wouldn't get anything for him.

Since his contract ends this season I see no downside to this deal. Plus I don't have to watch him half ass it out there for the remainder of this season.

Reactions: 2xJack

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Unfortunately being injured 2 deadlines in a row and then having the worst season since he was a rookie production wise cost the wings the trade value they hoped to get. Ah well. Maybe the 4th will turn into another AA and we can get 2 seconds down the line ;-)

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Unfortunately being injured 2 deadlines in a row and then having the worst season since he was a rookie production wise cost the wings the trade value they hoped to get. Ah well. Maybe the 4th will turn into another AA and we can get 2 seconds down the line ;-)
I just like this quote so much that I feel a "like" alone doesn't cut it. :laugh:

Reactions: lomekian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad