Confirmed with Link: Mike Green to Detroit 3 years/6m per

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I feel like Green is exactly the type of defenseman we needed. Gives us a much better transition game and huge PP threat. I love it so much. :handclap:

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
We now have 3 of the bottom 20 D who 'led' in minus turnovers.

Don't care about the shiny offensive numbers - we just got worse.

So, you'd be pissed if we landed PK Suban and Doughty (i.e. #1 and #2 worst on that list)? It seems to me that list might be irrelevant when they, along with Karlsson, Kronwall, Yandle, Elder, Burns, Greene, Niskanen are all "bottom 20". (And it was Matt Greene, not Mike Green that was in the bottom 20.)

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-turnover-plus-minus/2014/

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
You will love him on the PP. Dont expect him to be a top 4 D every night though. He was #5 on the Caps.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Not a Green-fan but at 3 years I like the signing. As a #4-5+PP guy he should make us better.

Kronner-E
DD-Green
Quincey-Smith
XO/Marchy

Looks good.

135327537354.gif

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Green for 3 years is amazing. He wasn't a super long term solution but he is an ideal fit right now. We need a RH dman that could put up points and that is exactly what we got. If he can put up 40-50 pts, I don't care if hes on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pair.

Right now I'd run:

Kronner-Smith
Dekeyser-Green
E/Q-Marchenko

I think this means Q is getting traded. One of the kids needs a spot and we can't get rid of E with his contract and NTC (I think?). It makes no sense to have a 8mil 3rd pair, when we can have kids that are equally as good. If we can trade Kindl, maybe they'll hold onto both but one of the 3 has to be moved. Q is probably the only one with value, as he has a year left, and is coming off a really solid deal.

TouringReg

Sep 27, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Hopefully this also means we can stop using forwards on the point on the PP. I'd rather Kronwall, Green, Smith and DeKeyser back there than giving up a ton of SH chances/breakaways as we have the past couple seasons.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Waive Kindl and\or trade Quincey for a pick, field a D group of Kronwall-Green, Smith-Dekeyser, Marchenko-Ericsson. Marchenko and Ouelette rotate in and out of last spot.

Slotting green into the top-4 moves everyone down where they belong.

Washington also had 3 defenseman who would've been top-pair on our team.

edit: Looking at their roster, any one of their defenseman would've automatically slotted into our top-4. So there is that. In Detroit Green will be playing behind a forward group that is one of the most defensively responsible in the NHL. Rafalski wasn't that sharp on defense either.

He cannot play hard minutes. That's the point. He wasnt anywhere near able to do so this past year. Look, they needed a guy on the PP for sure and maybe there's some desperation to the signing but there's no arguing how bad he has been over the last year against the oppositions bottom 6..

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Green for 3 years is amazing. He wasn't a super long term solution but he is an ideal fit right now. We need a RH dman that could put up points and that is exactly what we got. If he can put up 40-50 pts, I don't care if hes on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pair.

Right now I'd run:

Kronner-Smith
Dekeyser-Green
E/Q-Marchenko

I think this means Q is getting traded. One of the kids needs a spot and we can't get rid of E with his contract and NTC (I think?). It makes no sense to have a 8mil 3rd pair, when we can have kids that are equally as good. If we can trade Kindl, maybe they'll hold onto both but one of the 3 has to be moved. Q is probably the only one with value, as he has a year left, and is coming off a really solid deal.

Same. If Holland moves either Quincey or Ericsson I can pour out the rest of my haterade.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Can't they just waive Kindl? Even if we can't trade him, isn't the problem a roster spot and not cap room? Just waive the guy.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Egh.

I don't like this. I don't like the way Green plays. It's like having a more expensive Smith, and he's definitely not scoring 30 goals these days.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
5% chance! $7M!

Knew he wouldn't cost the moon. Also thought we had a really good chance of signing him. He just doesn't have the luster anymore.

Love the deal.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm so happy and surprised this actually happened. Read somewhere we tried to trade for him six times? Crazy. But this is a huge signing, especially if it ends up working out. We got alot better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad