Mike Commodore goes off on Babcock (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So.... Modano was benched with 3 games to play in the year and 3 games to get to 1500? Is that right?

Anyways, if that's supposed to be an article that proves Babcock's no good, it doesn't really do that. Has some pro and cons, like anyone does.

Correct. Also leaves out being scratched multiple times in the playoffs, which is a pretty clear indication that it wasn't the ego trip some would make it out to be. The kind of context that helps.

Would actually be interesting for an interviewer to ask those contextual questions but you'll never get that because it might make it more difficult to paint the picture they want to.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Mike Modano was a game away or two from a big milestone in his career as he finished his playing years with the Red Wings and Babcock wouldn’t dress him. To this day, Modano says that really hurt.

Spezza was not allowed in the opening lineup last week against Ottawa. It would have been a big moment as he took a big pay cut to join the Leafs and play in his home town,?plus it would have been against the team he played so many years for. Babcock gave some idiotic reason for not letting him enjoy a special moment

That is not true.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
2007-2008
  • NHL Stanley Cup Champion (HC)

:help:

We're in 2019....

It sure does say something when th top players from the team he coached the most all hate him. Not sure how a fan who sits at home posting on a message board can overlook that. I mean, it's not like Babcock hides the fact that he's a POS. We see it everyday in the way he handles situations with the Leafs.

I am shocked he hasn't been fired yet. The guy hadn't done anything substantial with great team in ages. It's not like this guy was coaching bottom feeders.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
We're in 2019....

And...?

The post I responded to claimed that Babs had never won anything, so...

It sure does say something when th top players from the team he coached the most all hate him.

Yup, and what this team needs is a friend to all living things behind the bench. Perhaps we should hire Snow White to coach this team? Everyone's guaranteed to like her, yeah? :help:

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
And...?

The post I responded to claimed that Babs had never won anything, so...

Yup, and what this team needs is a friend to all living things behind the bench. Perhaps we should hire Snow White to coach this team? Everyone's guaranteed to like her, yeah? :help:

Yeah, let's talk in hyperboles...

Maybe Snow White can actually do something with all this talent because the current coach is wasting it away. This team is talented enough where they could probably achieve more by removing this narcissist who is more interested in doing the exact opposite of anyone who goes against his style than actually trying to adjust to the times.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Its doesn’t prove anything.

This is a website for hockey discussion.
Tonight’s debacle against Tampa Bay reminded me that nothing has changed since December of 2018-no defensive structure, leaving their goaltender out to dry in a shooting gallery, so many close in chances by opponents.

Babcock has had all kinds of time to fix this.

At this point I am left wondering if I am blaming the wrong guy (Is it Dumas with his penchant for smurfs with speed that handicaps Babcock from having any kind of Hope of playing tough defenders). Or is it Babcock for the many reasons we have discussed.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You have to tailor your coaching to your players, not try to tailor your players to your coaching. I think Babs would be a great coach for a team of underdogs. I don't think he's suited for a team of incredibly skilled players though.

Then again... Marner (Paul), Matthews (captain underpants), Nylander (Michael).... may be incredibly entitled brats who think they know better than the coach (see Kessel). Unfortunately for Babcock... maybe these young guys need a new Coach, who gives them the same message "you guys are entitled and need to work harder".

I know we are only a few games in... but this really has been a few years of this sort of yo-yo/no consistency type play and I have never had confidence in this teams team Defense under Babcock.

We will see....

Reactions: gyzmo

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Commodore also failed to mention that he was close to 20% body fat (he blamed the test) and looked absolutely terrible. He got hurt in camp and didn’t get in for a few weeks. Once he finally did, he was terrible. The game was too fast and he couldn’t play. CBJ saw it, Babcock saw it, and the Lighting saw it once he was eventually traded there. He spent the next year in the AHL and was KHL bound after.

Everyone else was wrong except him, I guess.

Commodore is delusional and I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs. That was actually painful to listen to. CTE and nobody cares enough to take him off the air and get him help - they’d prefer to put him on the radio and laugh.

Pretty unfortunate situation. I feel bad for the guy.

Commodore's side of the story definitely had some inaccuracies, but concerning this criticism it would be fair to remember that he had a negative +/- in only one single game out of the 17 he played in Detroit that season. Detroit also won ten of them. So in the limited role he got he was not a liability.

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
"If I could potentially hurt him, but get away with it, I would"

This is more a window into Commodore than it is on Babcock.
Commodore ... I hope we manage to stay away from people like him in life.
But it always seems that we have a "Commodore" pretending to be a friend.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
  • 1996-1997
    • U20 WJC Gold Medal
  • 2003-2004
    • World Championship Gold Medal
  • 2007-2008
    • NHL Stanley Cup Champion (HC)
  • 2009-2010
    • Olympic Gold Medal
    • Triple Gold Club
  • 2013-2014
    • Olympic Gold Medal
  • 2016-2017
    • World Cup Gold Medal
Yup. Babcock definitely doesn't win.

96-97: Who cares I was all of 10 years old
2003-2004: wow a world championship, you don't say...you mean the tournament where most countries send their B teams and we send a C team
2007-2008: Legit...but the Wings were amazing at that time they should have had more than that
2009-2010: Literally a monkey could have stood on that bench and that team still would have won gold...they were head and shoulders above everyone else in that tournament...name one HUGE decision he made to influence it
2013-2014: See 2009-2010
2016-2017: oooo another World Championship

The guy has only one SC win and that IS the hardest trophy to win in sports...I don't care about Worlds or WJC's when it comes to NHL coaches What have they done IN THE LEAGUE is what matters...and using Canad internationally doesn't mean a thing, we can literally ice a lineup of stud's who are first liners on most hockey teams in the world. why do you think it's such a big deal when we lose...oh yeah because we ARE SUPPOSED to win with all the talent in this country hockey wise...

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
He played for him for 17 games. Babs must have beat the guy with a rubber hose :laugh:
He was there for half the season though

His argument is he only played 17 and not double that or so, because Babcock hated him/"is a POS" and that Babs was the reason he was traded from Detroit midseason
Plus Babcock coached him in the AHL 9 years before that, and consistently scratched Commodore then too

I mean, I still think Commodore is being overdramatic/unprofessional but it extends past 17 games together. It extends closer to 100, split over two stints, nine years apart, with Commodore being scratched for about a quarter of them...

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Commodore is a big dummy.
He is pissed because Babcock was at the helm when he realized his hockey career was done.... he went on and played , what 12 games in the NHL after detroit ?

He is a head case that had his own ego hurt because a coach let him know he wasnt good enough for the league anymore. Simply put, he couldn't accept the fact he was done for and trying to find a scapegoat for his own life.

And this is coming from someone who was happy Babcock is gone.. we needed the change. But Commodore is a petty pos that drones on about the same bullshit and has yet to realize that his schtick is terrible. "PACK your shit" "Babcock is a bad human" get over it and off social media, you bum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad