Mike Commodore goes off on Babcock (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
If that Marner story is true, seriously, **** Babcock.

If this is the **** he's been pulling, it's no wonder our players weren't taking discounts to play here.
and here it comes....hahahaha. I knew it! The ole Dubas signing garbage deals is Babcocks fault.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
It validates opinions. Still doesn't explain why it all worked out until last season.

Lots of coaches, especially ones labelled as "old school" are known to come with a shelf life. This isn't the first time a once successful coach has worn out his welcome.

That's not to say anything about Babcock in particular. On the one hand, I wasn't a big fan of some of the tactics he used or his penchant to inconsistently hold people accountable, but on the other hand it's hard to say that he didn't do some good while he was here and perhaps he was the coach the Leafs needed at the time.

Just because Commodore and Fraser acted immaturely and unprofessionally - and IMO they did - it doesn't mean what they said wasn't true. I just wish some of this would have come out beforehand....all of these so called insiders working for TSN/SN etc and this kind of stuff always comes out after the fact. If that's the case, we are just as much insiders as they are lol

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
A comparison of Babcock's 1st year (30th) to 2nd year (15th):

Games played in brackets.

Kadri (76) -----------------------> Matthews (82)
JVR (40) / Lupul (46) ---------> Marner (77)
Komarov (67)/ Hyman (16) ---> Komarov (82)

Bozak (57) /Nylander (22) -----> Kadri (82)
Parenteau (77) ------------------> Nylander (81)
Grabner (80) --------------------> JVR (82)

Holland (65)/ Arcobello (20) ---> Bozak (78)
Winnik (56) / Laich (20) -------> Hyman (82)
Matthias (51)/ Greening (30) --> Brown (82)

Froese (56) / Spaling (35) ------> Smith (36) / Boyle (21) / Gauthier (21)
Boyes (60) / Clune (19) ---------> Martin (82)
Michalek (13) / Smith (16) /
Leivo (12) / Sosh (11) / Kappy (9)
Brown (7) / Goat (7) /
Lindberg (6) / Leipsic (6) -------> Sosh (56) / Leivo (13) / Michalek (5) / Kappy (8) / Holland (8) / etc.

Rielly (82) ------------------------> Rielly (76)
Gardiner (79) --------------------> Gardiner (82)

Phaneuf (51) / Corrado (39) -----> Zaitsev (82)
Hunwick (60) / Carrick (16) -----> Hunwick (72)

Polak (55) / Harrington (15) --- > Polak (75)
Marincin (65) / Valiev (10) /
Loov (4) / Brennan (7) /
Campbell (6) / Percy (3) --------> Carrick (67) / Marincin (25) / Marchenko (11)

Bernier (36) / Reimer (29) ------> Andersen (66)
Sparks (17) -----------------------> McElhinney (10) / Enroth (4) / Bibeau (2)

what a miracle worker!

Reactions: stopclickbait

Jun 27, 2005
Ok. But going into year one with Dubas and now Johnny T we were looking good. Nobody was concerned at all. Agreed?

Some of us were always concerned. I believe that I posted that we would never win the cup with Babcock from day one.

Reactions: ToMaLe

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Lots of coaches, especially ones labelled as "old school" are known to come with a shelf life. This isn't the first time a once successful coach has worn out his welcome.

That's not to say anything about Babcock in particular. On the one hand, I wasn't a big fan of some of the tactics he used or his penchant to inconsistently hold people accountable, but on the other hand it's hard to say that he didn't do some good while he was here and perhaps he was the coach the Leafs needed at the time.

Just because Commodore and Fraser acted immaturely and unprofessionally - and IMO they did - it doesn't mean what they said wasn't true. I just wish some of this would have come out beforehand....all of these so called insiders working for TSN/SN etc and this kind of stuff always comes out after the fact. If that's the case, we are just as much insiders as they are lol
Agreed. It's just people are acting like he suddenly morphed into this guy. We all knew what Babcock was. Nobody was complaining until last year is all I'm saying. Or at least to this extent.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Some of us were always concerned. I believe that I posted that we would never win the cup with Babcock from day one.
That's fine. Odds wise a very smart bet :p

But all was well for the most part. Things were rolling forward. With JT we'd be unstoppable! And we were for like 24 games. Then it switched.

Jun 27, 2005
That's fine. Odds wise a very smart bet :p

But all was well for the most part. Things were rolling forward. With JT we'd be unstoppable! And we were for like 24 games. Then it switched.

Early last season things were good but many people around here were always concerned about the playoffs.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Early last season things were good but many people around here were always concerned about the playoffs.
i was one of them. Thought we really needed to insulate Kadri as the 'tough guy'

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
So again, we're back to Babcock losing games on purpose because of "the plan".
Brad Boyes
Tyler Bozak
Frank Corrado
Byron Froese
Jake Gardiner
Michael Grabner
Peter Holland
Matt Hunwick
Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov
Joffrey Lupul
Shawn Matthias
P.A. Parenteau
Dion Phaneuf
Roman Polak
Morgan Rielly
James van Riemsdyk
Daniel Winnik
Garrett Sparks

Well now that I look at the roster, I see your point. Good thing he's gone if he couldn't win with that line up.

Jun 27, 2005
i was one of them. Thought we really needed to insulate Kadri as the 'tough guy'

And while we're at it, when Kadri was losing his mind last playoffs, I turned to my spouse and said, "If Babcock puts him back on he's going to get suspended and it will be on Babcock not Kadri". A couple of minutes later Kadri was gone and I still blame Babcock because it was obvious that Kadri had lost his cool.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
so on the flip side you're saying a player will ask for less if he likes the coach ?

and the teams performance dictates whether a coach/GM whoever else involved deserves credit/blame

Dubas took over a 105 pt team , the team has performed worse since he took over , he now has his coach and he needs to get better results to get credit for doing a good job .

if you want to hand out gold stars before the team outperforms what it previously accomplished that's your prerogative but don't expect everyone else to also share your view

Why would a player ask for less money. You make no sense whatsoever.

In a negotiation, you explain your side of the argument, then the opposing side explains their side. Very very basic stuff.

If the coach was someone all the players loved, would management use that as an advantage to signing in Toronto ? Absolutely they would.

So when the team was playing well it was because of Babcock, but when they lose or have a bad season it's because of Dubas ? And you say I'm 1 sided ?

The team wins or loses as a team, that's how team sports work. Does Dubas deserve some blame, yes (and he admits it), does Babcock deserve some blame , yes (But he doesn't admit it), do the players deserve some blame, yes (for the most part they admit it).

They had a 100 point season and you make it sound like they missed the play offs. Talk about grasping at straws :laugh:.

The team doesn't have to win a Stanley cup to be able to say the GM made some good moves, in the same way you talk about Babcock like he is god's gift to hockey even though he has won nothing in the NHL in 10 years.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I don't know why were talking about the tank season, I certainly don't hold that against Babcock nor do I take the "he took a last place team to the playoffs" posts seriously, it just shouldn't count, it had absolutely nothing to do with the real team which began the following season, period.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Brad Boyes
Tyler Bozak
Frank Corrado
Byron Froese
Jake Gardiner
Michael Grabner
Peter Holland
Matt Hunwick
Nazem Kadri
Leo Komarov
Joffrey Lupul
Shawn Matthias
P.A. Parenteau
Dion Phaneuf
Roman Polak
Morgan Rielly
James van Riemsdyk
Daniel Winnik
Garrett Sparks

Well now that I look at the roster, I see your point. Good thing he's gone if he couldn't win with that line up.

That roster is a Phil Kessel short of taking Boston to game 7.

But again, if we're playing the roster game then why does Babcock get the credit for making the playoffs when half of that team got massively improved?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
So we got 104 points was it? with the mean coach. And they just started to hate him half way through last season? I'm again not trying to defend Babs here. It just seems there's another variable.

It's obvious Dubes and Babcock were never gonna get along. My biggest issue with the hire among others. Did this begin the pissing match which made Babs a little more spiteful? Feels like it to me. But these rumours go back before that.

My comment had nothing to do with his strategic approach as a coach or how many points we had under his tutelage. That has been discussed ad nauseum on here.

This is about how Babcock related to the players during his tenure, how he communicated with them, and how he tried to motivate them.

Among other things, the story that came out about Marner in particular is a serious indictment of Babcock's character in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia