Confirmed with Link: Mike Babcock resigns as head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Kind of an odd analogy. My family went to the same dentist for almost 50 years until he retired in his 80's. (You would have never guessed he was that old honestly)

The first time I went to a new dentist was my first experience where the hygienist does all the work and then the dentist walks in, only inspects the cleaning and then sends you a bill. I was blown away this is how dentistry functioned and I was over 40.
The quote was about the equipment used, not just the dentist...Babs has never updated his equipment, and it showed...

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Question to you all: Is this a common perception? It's not at all what I have been thinking (i.e. that the issue had much if anything to do with what was actually on the players' phones). I've been under the assumption the main problem was whatever Babcock did with the phones, not the content of the phones.

Also, re: the vetting process - there seems to be a lot of managers or directors here, and while it's easy to believe the CBJ front office messed up the hiring and vetting process originally, I don't know if it's quite as simple as it seems with hindsight. I assume a lot of you have had to deal with disgruntled ex-employees at some point, and they are not exactly a reliable source when speaking about the employer. If there's bad blood, there's usually two sides of the story and then the truth somewhere in there, hidden deep. It takes quite a bit of detective work to figure out what really happened, especially if more impartial parties are not involved or willing to talk, and if some time has passed, it becomes even more difficult...

I'm also curious how much discussion a GM of a team (or other person) can have with an active player playing for another team. I imagine there's some complicating factors involved. Less so with retired players though, but I guess that's where the "maybe he's changed" part came in.

On July 1 (and I believe in all interviews afterwards) they never mentioned Babcock's baggage...and there were plenty of well-reported incidents. They danced around the issue, which was well known, and that's that Babcock abuses his power against people who are on the fringes - rookies,.veterans at the end of their careers, concession workers.

The only people they were willing to say they spoke to on the record were Hitchcock, Dave King, and Rick Nash gave an endorsement. That's it. Did they try talking to anyone who was in Toronto when the Marner thing happened? Or Detroit with Franzen and Chelios? Did they bother to speak to anyone who's interacted with Babcock in the last 3.5 years when he supposedly changed?

Sounds like a big fat no to all of those, which is not how you do your "due diligence." It also doesn't seem like during this past week that they were willing to acknowledge *how* they messed up during their background check on Babcock.

I have no faith in them whatsoever to run this organization competently.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I think my approach would be

1) Try to find the real story about past transgressions.

2) Bring in a couple of Psychology PhDs that are established experts on when and how people can make significant changes in their life.

3) Call people who have spent a lot of time with Babcock over the last 4 years and ask them about him

4) Sit down with Babcock and ask him about past mistakes and how he has grown

5) Sit down with critics like Mike Commodore and have a serious discussion about Babcock.

That may seem like time consuming work, but remember the Jackets took their time with this hire.

It seems like the team took the simpler “call some guys you know” approach rather than taking a deeper dive into Mike Babcock‘s capacity to change.
That sounds like a lot of work, more suitable for a company that has a lot of employees and brings in revenue in the millions, and pays their people a competitive salary in the six or seven figures, and really needs to get the hire right, we're talking about a hockey team here!

:D

Reactions: Stringer Bell

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Maybe your family dentist upgraded his equipment during those years.
I'm sure he did but isn't a tooth scraper still a tooth scraper and a drill still a drill?

My point is that my dentist ran his office in an old school way. I didn't have an issue with it. I didn't know any better because it was the only experience I had at a dentist.

Also, new is not always better. I feel like because he ran his office in such an old school way that he wasn't running it like an assembly line. I never felt like he was making things up with my teeth to just make money off of me.

My personal experience only but an example of how upgrades are not always better. Brushing and flossing teeth is still brushing and flossing teeth no matter how fancy or powerful your electric toothbrush is.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
That sounds like a lot of work, more suitable for a company that has a lot of employees and brings in revenue in the millions, and pays their people a competitive salary in the six or seven figures, and really needs to get the hire right, we're talking about a hockey team here!

:D

If the Vincent hire doesn’t work out, the Jackets really should consider bringing in an executive search firm to help them with the hiring process. If Worthington Industries needed a new COO or something, I wonder what process they would follow.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
My personal experience only but an example of how upgrades are not always better. Brushing and flossing teeth is still brushing and flossing teeth no matter how fancy or powerful your electric toothbrush is.

I had an old school dentist I loved. He did all the work himself. He read articles on dentistry and kept himself current on the science of dentistry. I have had a few since him. They have fancier machines, but most of the work is done by hygienists who seem to turn over quicker than I have appointments. I felt like I had better care from my old guy. Plus the old guy had cool Woody Hayes stories.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If the Vincent hire doesn’t work out, the Jackets really should consider bringing in an executive search firm to help them with the hiring process. If Worthington Industries needed a new COO or something, I wonder what process they would follow.

Probably already should have consulted this group given the dysfunction in the organization.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
if Vincent doesn't work out you fire the guys who select the coach. That is part of their job.

Reactions: We Want Ten

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
so, this is exactly what the chicago bears did a couple years ago. they included bill polian (former colts GM) in that committee. the committee ended up deciding on matt eberflus, who was the defensive coordinator for… the indianapolis colts.

their search committee was still swayed by the 'old boys club' stuff, led to a hire based on familiarity, and ended up being an abject disaster (eberflus is 3-16 and on a 12-game losing streak).

there's nothing inherently wrong with having the GM determine who the coach is – the issue here is that they wanted to hit a home run and ended up swinging out of their shoes.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I now can see why Torts would want to leave.

Give control to the players (of a LAST place team) and the “fake news”.

I sure miss those mediocre playoff berths.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I wouldn't be at all surprised if an outside firm has already been retained. But not for the coach. For the Team Prez/GM replacements.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
if Vincent doesn't work out you fire the guys who select the coach. That is part of their job.
Larsen didn't work out. The most recent guy-can't recall his name-didn't either.

They've fully punched their "selecting my coach" card. It's time for JD and Jarmo to go. Short leash is ridiculous for guys who have their horse manure stats with the CBJ. If McConnell gives one crap about winning, these guys should be gone within a month or however long it takes to find suitable replacements.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I now can see why Torts would want to leave.

Give control to the players (of a LAST place team) and the “fake news”.

I sure miss those mediocre playoff berths.

Well he's the coach of Philadelphia Flyers and I'm sure they'd have you too! You know, the Broad Street Bullies. You'd fit right in!

Didn't think we'd see anyone defending Babcock's psycho behavior that has spanned multiple decades, but here we are.

This is beyond a terrible take, bus.

What else could you possibly expect from him?

Reactions: WhataKnight

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Babcock had 2nd thoughts, wanted out. All that crap would have followed him around even if he won the cup and he knew it. He had to see that since his July hire. CBJ probably didn't want to accommodate so Babcock took care of it himself. He knew what'd get the trigger pulled. He doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks of him. He's rich and going to his farm.

Sounds perfectly feasible...

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Babcock had 2nd thoughts, wanted out. All that crap would have followed him around even if he won the cup and he knew it. He had to see that since his July hire. CBJ probably didn't want to accommodate so Babcock took care of it himself. He knew what'd get the trigger pulled. He doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks of him. He's rich and going to his farm.

Sounds perfectly feasible...
My favorite line: "even if he won the Cup." ;)

Reactions: We Want Ten

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

i think it’s pretty clear that Babcock had to be nearly perfect in order for drama not to happen. I don’t think he was sabotaged, because he’s earned that, but if he made mistakes it had to be on the ice and not in the locker room.

The Jackets were lucky this all happened before the season or else something would have happened during the season and the circus would have followed the team.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
i think it’s pretty clear that Babcock had to be nearly perfect in order for drama not to happen. I don’t think he was sabotaged, because he’s earned that, but if he made mistakes it had to be on the ice and not in the locker room.

The Jackets were lucky this all happened before the season or else something would have happened during the season and the circus would have followed the team.

Especially if that player group included CBJ players who'd met him, then I'm very down with this being true.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think this thread should be locked forever, honestly.

he’s no longer a part of the org.

we’re happy to have pascal lead us. time to look forward.

dude doesn’t deserved to be discussed.
I appreciate the recommendation, and I have considered closing it, but people should be allowed to discuss this if necessary. It’s still pretty fresh. And while I have moved on (and it seems most, if not all, have too) some things could turn to light at some point in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad