News Article: Mike Babcock Pretty Much Confirms Melnyk Involved In MacLean Firing

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
So much spin on such a harmless quote.

All owners meddle. Some a little more than others. I don't doubt that Melnyk had a hand in Cameron's hiring and promotion, and I don't doubt he pushed Murray to make some changes to get the team to win. It's the nature of pro sports; billionaires who are used to running the show and managing their investments aren't often comfortable taking a back seat when they don't like their organization's performance or direction.

I'm not even a fan of Melnyk, and I happen to believe he meddles too much. At some point, though, we have to look at other teams and realize Melnyk isn't a Pocklington or a Ballard.

I'm sure most here would meddle if they were billionaire owner. You just hire the GM to do the day to day work. Nothing significant goes through without owner approval

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'm sure most here would meddle if they were billionaire owner. You just hire the GM to do the day to day work. Nothing significant goes through without owner approval

Yep. Melnyk is justa passionate guy, and more open about it than most owners.

That being said, I really he wish he would just shut his mouth and stay out of it as much as he can. That and to sell the team to a richer man ;)

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
The reaction on here to the firing has been just bizarre

It's like he is the first coach ever to be fired in nhl history

h2

Mar 26, 2002
The reaction on here to the firing has been just bizarre

It's like he is the first coach ever to be fired in nhl history

Fans have a right to react however they want. Nothing wrong with that. Given the optics of the whole situation, it's even justified.

However, as I mentioned earlier, I will give Cameron a fair shake and hope things work out. If he sucks tho, he better get fired regardless of his connection with Melnyk.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Do you guys really think an experienced GM like Murray would act like the owners puppet? I'm sure Melnyk had some input on Cameron getting the job but I'm not sure he said to Bryan " I want Paul gone and Dave in" and Murray just obliged.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This team is Bryan Murray's legacy project I have to think

Better to acquiese to the owner on the coach than to quit on principle

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Melnyk is too skinny to be Skeletor.

If anything, he's Sly Sludge from Captain Planet:

char_3210.jpg

Seriously though, I get your points. I just wanted to reset the arguments in the pro & anti-Melnyk camps. Emotions can get high, sometimes it's good to step away for a second and try and bring the debate back to reasonable talking points.

That picture is frighteningly accurate.

:laugh::laugh:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Title is misleading. Sounds like Babcock is just making assumptions. Wheres the "pretty much confirmation". I think MacLean was fired because the team has been giving up tons of chances for years and saw no improvement to start the season plus we just had a 4 game losing streak. I think 100 percent that Cameron was only hired because Melnyk though.

Karlsson2Turris*

Apparantly Melnyk wanted Maclean gone since Februrary 2014 (the Boston blowout loss).

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Wait, why does anyone give a **** what Babcock says??

Why is this even a thread? Obviously Melnyk was involved.

I don't want some former NHL coach to coach this team. Its ridiculous the recycling of coaches. Some posters here even suggested Jack Martin to come back..lol insane.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Like the 1st or 2nd page in this thread and it was the Montreal game. We collapsed to like 5 goals against in 5mins.

http://the6thsens.com/2014-articles...three-to-four-years-ago-by-eugene-melnyk.html

this? It seems like Murray really wanted to fire him. My undrstanding of that was that it was really hard for murray to keep faith in MacLean. As for ownership involved from Babcock it could just mean that Melnyk was sick of losing and wanted to see progress and that put pressure on Murray to fire MacLean. IDK I honestly think dont think Melnyk went to Murray and said fire MacLean because hes a bad coach.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I want to see someone come out and say Melnyk had MacLean fired so Cameron could coach. All this dancing around seems like speculation and assumptions.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
This is ridiculous. Why are we making mountains out of molehills?

Babcock said that ownership was involved? Obviously ownership was involved. The owner has to deal with the cost of continuing to pay the coach's salary. So yes, I'm sure Melnyk was involved when Murray decided he was going to fire Maclean and have Melnyk fork out a couple million for the guy to stay away.

How is this surprising to anyone?

balaclava brian

Dec 25, 2011
Just throwing this out there, but am I the only one who remembers this board lambasting MacLean for his horrible coaching decisions?

Remember? The juggling of lines that had great chemistry. Playing certain veteran players too much, while not playing more talented players enough? The horrible shooter choices in shoot-outs?

Not to mention no one seems to be debating that MacLean was fired because he lost the room - that he no longer communicated with the players and the players felt they were not being listened to.

Seems as if more people are upset Melnyk (the guy who saved this team from financial ruin, but admittedly seems awfully involved in hockey ops) MAY have had a hand in the firing on the guy.

Yeah, let's forget about the poor decisions MacLean made and how he lost the room but instead focus on that this was somehow all orchestrated by Melnyk.

It's obvious the hate for Melnyk not only out-weighs but also covers up the real reasons why MacLean was fired.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just throwing this out there, but am I the only one who remembers this board lambasting MacLean for his horrible coaching decisions?

Remember? The juggling of lines that had great chemistry. Playing certain veteran players too much, while not playing more talented players enough? The horrible shooter choices in shoot-outs?

Not to mention no one seems to be debating that MacLean was fired because he lost the room - that he no longer communicated with the players and the players felt they were not being listened to.

Seems as if more people are upset Melnyk (the guy who saved this team from financial ruin, but admittedly seems awfully involved in hockey ops) MAY have had a hand in the firing on the guy.

Yeah, let's forget about the poor decisions MacLean made and how he lost the room but instead focus on that this was somehow all orchestrated by Melnyk.

It's obvious the hate for Melnyk not only out-weighs but also covers up the real reasons why MacLean was fired.

Iirc, Maclean wasn't the one who picked the guys for the shootout.

balaclava brian

Dec 25, 2011
Iirc, Maclean wasn't the one who picked the guys for the shootout.

It's quotes in articles like this that lead me to believe otherwise.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/12/09/coach-paul-maclean-confident-in-shootout-choices

However, even if he wasn't the one choosing, as the Head Coach he has to take responsibility for the (abysmal) results of the team's shootout record during his tenure. I admit though, the team (and choices) have seemed better as of late (Lehner becoming better?) - however, there were still a few head scratchers recently..

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site
I want to see someone come out and say Melnyk had MacLean fired so Cameron could coach
Because it wouldn't be true

Melnyk was complaining to Murray about team performance, paying millions to some players who were doing little, ticket revenue less than projections, the Canadian $, and possible team dissension. Murray talked to the leaders of the room and determined there was a problem. First choice was Luke.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
So to be clear...
Murry tells Melnyk it is time to rebuild and Melynk takes this opportunity to strip the budget to league minimum.
They hire MacLean and he somehow gets us into the playoffs where Melnyk himself said is the only time the team makes money.
Year two, lock out, MacLean gets us into the playoffs despite half the team being on IR, gets to second round and wins Jack Adams, while the team is STILL in the bottom payroll.
We lose Alfie (probably because of Melynk) and the team drops a big stinker and we just barely miss out on the playoffs despite being at the bottom of the league in the payroll and Melynk's reaction is to fire him so he can get his puppet of a head coach in?

Every time I get mad at Murray, Melnyk magically rears his head and shows he is the cause.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad