News Article: Mike Babcock Pretty Much Confirms Melnyk Involved In MacLean Firing

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Because we've been hearing the same **** over and over for the past two days now. Babcock kind of hinted that this was Melnyk's decision, so it must be right! Maybe it really wasn't Melynk's decision, but just as everyone on this board has done, Maclean jumped to conclusions and ranted to Babcock about how he totally didn't deserve to be fired and it's all a conspiracy to make Cameron the head coach. People need to move on, the way Cameron has been talked about on this board and on the radio is disgusting, it happened, time to give the guy a chance. He's definitely qualified and he seems like a good guy, let's see what happens.

Is he? He's got experience in junior, and in AHL but there are questions that need to be asked when the guy who was the assistant is more qualified to coach the team than the previous head coach. Especially one that has no NHL experience and, in all the time he's been here in the NHL, has never interviewed for another HC position in the league.

There in lies the issue and why many in media, across the league, and fans of this very team are having. The optics of this look wrong. And it's compounded with getting the complete vote of confidence that came with not applying the "interim" tag to his position. Is the "interim" thing just semantics? Probably. But personally, I'd feel a lot better if Murray said: "For the interim, Dave Cameron will be coaching this team and we will evaluate at the end of this season." But not saying that, and combining it with the fact that the coach is a close, personal friend of the owner, worries us that regardless of his performance, he's going to be here next year.

Remember, the owner has already excused Cameron's shortcomings at the Memorial Cup and World Juniors with: "Just bad luck".

I can't speak for everyone but that's why I'm concerned. I'm concerned that the last few years has painted the picture of an owner who fancies himself a GM.

The best teams in the league don't have their owners involved in who coaches the team. How often do you see the owner of the Kings, or Rocky Wirtz, making public comments on the coaching or direction of the team? Only the dysfunctional ones like Charles Wang, Daryl Katz, etc. seem to love microphones and micromanaging.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Wow ownership had some input on one of the most important brass positions on the team?

Gosh you don't say?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think the concern has more to do with the fact that it was made largely because of the friendship between Melnyk and Cameron.

If Melnyk was really the insane dictator people think he is, he could have given Cameron the job whenever he wanted.

The way people vilify the owner around here is getting out of hand.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Babcock's opinion matters simply because if other NHL executives and Coaches are speaking up about the ownership in Ottawa interfeing in Hockey Decisions then that sends an alarm out across the league that things in Ottawa are a mess.

Two Captains gone in 2 seasons, 5 coaches in 8 years and pretty much the most powerful non player in Hockey calling out the Sens owner - it matters whether you want to believe it or not.

Let's not forget Babcock coached Alfie and would have the inside info on why he left and I'm sure Alfie told Babcock all about Melnyck's meddling.

That's where you're wrong. Babcock's opinion does not matter because Babcock doesn't have any affiliation to this team. Babcock's position is with the Red Wings and his only tie to this organization is when he's standing behind the visitor bench at CTC. And you know what? If the owner in Ottawa wants to be involved with some of the hockey decisions, then that's his right. He signs the cheques for everyone. He alone is responsible financially for the entire Senators sports organization. He has the right to be involved. And if you think Melnyk is the only owner in the NHL who likes to be involved in some of the day-to-day operations of their team, then you're naive beyond belief. So again, Babcock should mind his business and shut the **** up.

I always find it funny that whenever someone in the media or the NHL itself says something negative about the Senators, there's always a contingent of fans who attack the messenger instead of the message itself. You can debate what he said about the situation but suddenly, one of the winningest coaches in the NHL, with 3 Cup appearances, one Cup, two Olympic gold medals and a playoff streak since he started coaching in the NHL, is now "OVERRATED!"

No it's called standing up for your team and not allowing people who don't have any business making comments to dump on your team.

But if Babcock came out and said: "You know what, the Senators are the best organization in the league." that quote would be brought any time an outsider disparaged the Senators.

If Babcock came out and said that he'd still be a ****ing idiot. Maybe if the day comes when this team is a dynasty then that kind of line might be of merit. But I guess when you have to use hyperbole to make a point, then the point you're trying to make isn't that strong to begin with.

Like it or not, the NHL is a very connected network. Guys like Babcock clearly know more about what's happening behind the scenes of teams in the league than we do because everyone talks. If Bryan Murray talks to Ken Holland at the GM meetings in Florida, Mike Babcock is going to know about. Considering that it's not outside the realm of possibility that the two of them still have a strong relationship (considering it was Murray that gave Babcock his first NHL job), he may have also heard straight from Bryan whose decision it was.

And whether you like it or not, everything you're saying there is speculation. Why would Murray call Mike Babcock after he fires MacLean to tell him that it was Melnyk's decision? Or why would Babcock call Murray after the firing? What could those two possibly have to talk about in that regard? We're talking about an organization that likes to keep it's affairs internally and suddenly Murray is going to start running around to other coaches and executives to whine about Melnyk's influence?

Thank you, someone needed to say this, and you all need to believe and accept that this is what's happening.

No we don't. People can and should have different points of view. But if you want to blindly believe things then that's totally up to you.

I understand what you're saying, but it's not like Melnyk came in at first and started all this mess. This is more in recent years, since he took a financial hit. Why? I don't know. Alfie didn't leave for a chance to win a cup in Detroit, come on. Everyone who believes that must think he's an imbecile. Melnyk tried to nickle and dime him and he left. Didn't you hear the tone of Murrays voice when he announced it?

Happy to see that both of them were tight enough to end his career properly in Ottawa, but if it was just Melnyk, I'm pretty sure Alfie would've hung up the phone.

Yeah, here we go again. Pure speculation and not even that strong a speculation at that. Most people have come to accept that Alfredsson decided to leave and that money had very little to do with it. But I guess he got nickle and dimed in Ottawa and went to Detroit to sign a $3.5 million contract with bonuses...that makes a lot of sense. And then after he decided to retire, he was with the team within a week to have a ceremony honoring his retirement. As what? A favor to Melnyk who asked for a little good PR?

Because we've been hearing the same **** over and over for the past two days now. Babcock kind of hinted that this was Melnyk's decision, so it must be right! Maybe it really wasn't Melynk's decision, but just as everyone on this board has done, Maclean jumped to conclusions and ranted to Babcock about how he totally didn't deserve to be fired and it's all a conspiracy to make Cameron the head coach. People need to move on, the way Cameron has been talked about on this board and on the radio is disgusting, it happened, time to give the guy a chance. He's definitely qualified and he seems like a good guy, let's see what happens.

No, it's just super en vogue to spin every story to make Melnyk look like an evil tyrant. The more likely story that MacLean wasn't getting results for 120+ games, that the team wasn't seeing improvement defensively and that he was almost fired at the end of last year only to be given one more chance to start this year just doesn't play as well with the hipster Melnyk hater crowd.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Who cares. Stop living in the past. We have a new coach now.

Well we certainly should care considering this moron is once again running one of his businesses into the ground. He has really took a hard line at this team eh, first the face of the franchise now the coach. He should just sell it before he depreciates its value even more. He runs the team like bad Jr. B owner. Drunk at the games irrational decisions, good riddance.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No, it's just super en vogue to spin every story to make Melnyk look like an evil tyrant. The more likely story that MacLean wasn't getting results for 120+ games, that the team wasn't seeing improvement defensively and that he was almost fired at the end of last year only to be given one more chance to start this year just doesn't play as well with the hipster Melnyk hater crowd.

There is nothing to suggest out there that he hasn't destroyed this franchise. From going down to the room to letting Alfie walk, cutting payrole, involved in situations like signing various players like Kovalev. Its not hipster its fact. This move screems of his involvement just like many of the others. This organization isn't going anywhere until he sells the team.

Yeah Maclean hasn't got results but he also hasn't got support from ownership to retain all its players and add to what was a strong core.

Look at this D core how can you expect to win? Seriously, Ceci a rookie has come in and been the most consistent D man on the team.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Babcock wasn't the only one saying Melnyk was involved in the firing.

http://the6thsens.com/2014-articles...three-to-four-years-ago-by-eugene-melnyk.html

I guess Cameron will be coach for life.
Maybe if Melnyk really did orchestrate this whole thing he will loosen his purse strings to help his boy win a few games.
But what I really wish is that Melnyk would sell.

And I agree with Doug Maclean the piling on Paul Maclean by the organization is ugly and unnecessary. But its nothing new, whenever there was a move against a popular player that might bring blowback there was always a flurry of nasty leaks and comments with the object of making the player look bad and letting management off the hook. It has been the same as long as Murray has been here and was the same with Muckler too.I hate it and I Hope that is one thing that changes whenever we get new management.

Of course if ownership doesn't change that is questionable I guess management always has to try and make ownership look better or at least not as bad as they really are.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I did not know we had a slitwrist thread on this board

Again, how about we see how Cameron does before falling to our knees and begging for divine intervention to fix our "problems"?

In regards to OP: I'm shocked that the big boss had a say in a personel matter, this is unacceptable, I want a full refund.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'm lost.

Why is anyone surprised that Melnyk had a role in MacLean's firing? Melnyk believes this team is a contender and it is not playing like one. The guy who replaced Mac is a Melnyk flunky, and he got in to a permanent position without any due diligence. Not even a quick interview.

I started with the assumption that Melnyk was heavily involved in the decision to turf MacLean, or made the decision himself. That's how we roll around here.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
What I don't get is, why would Murray allow himself to be in that position? He's what, 75 years old? He's always said he doesn't really need this job, if he can't be allowed to actually manage the team, I would be like "I'm too old for this ****, I'm out." Danny Glover style.

Who is going to give a GM job to a 60+ year old guy that needs to surround himself with his family and friends and created a lot of drama? Not any winning org, that's for sure. Ottawa is the only place Murray will be able to play GM with impunity, the media are all morons outside of Ian Mendes, Graham Creech, James Gordon (no longer in sports) and maybe J.R. and Lee Versage.

That's where you're wrong. Babcock's opinion does not matter because Babcock doesn't have any affiliation to this team. Babcock's position is with the Red Wings and his only tie to this organization is when he's standing behind the visitor bench at CTC. And you know what? If the owner in Ottawa wants to be involved with some of the hockey decisions, then that's his right. He signs the cheques for everyone. He alone is responsible financially for the entire Senators sports organization. He has the right to be involved. And if you think Melnyk is the only owner in the NHL who likes to be involved in some of the day-to-day operations of their team, then you're naive beyond belief. So again, Babcock should mind his business and shut the **** up.

Actually, Babcock's opinion does matter because he is one of the most respected voices in the league. When he speaks, people listen and it resonates not just within the Red Wings environment but also with other players, GMs, coaches, the media...everywhere. He's basically the Bob MacKenzie of coaches, he's been around and has massive credibility. This isn't me, a guy that works at a government office killing time with opinions on HF.

Melnyk is too involved in this team, period. There's a reason a team like the Wings are always in the mix, Illitches are never seen or heard. Holland is rarely heard.
Don't hear Mario Lemieux pulling any strings, he just hangs out and takes photo ops.

This is bush league stuff from our owner. Melnyk is the one that needs to "shut the **** up" as you say because he has been a complete embarrassment to this franchise with his crazy comments and all asscoiated behaviours.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I understand what you're saying, but it's not like Melnyk came in at first and started all this mess. This is more in recent years, since he took a financial hit. Why? I don't know. Alfie didn't leave for a chance to win a cup in Detroit, come on. Everyone who believes that must think he's an imbecile. Melnyk tried to nickle and dime him and he left. Didn't you hear the tone of Murrays voice when he announced it?

Happy to see that both of them were tight enough to end his career properly in Ottawa, but if it was just Melnyk, I'm pretty sure Alfie would've hung up the phone.
Murray mentioned a PR guy Brian Morris or something like that as being the one who pushed Murray and Melnyk to bring Alfie back for the retirement ceremony. He seems like a back room facilitator who is doing good things for the Sens while all hell breaks lose around him.

Anyway much as I love Alfie I dont think he should come to work for the gong show we have going on here. He should join the Detroit organization and learn the ropes and maybe we'll get a new owner and new management. Right now its dysfunctional with the GM meddling in coaching decisions and the owner meddling with everything.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Melnyk went with Bryan in getting Maclean and, for a lot of different reasons, it didn't work out

There's nothing wrong with the owner telling the GM "well we tried your guy, now we try mine" and Cameron has put together some very good regular seasons, he's not some scrub

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
There's nothing wrong with the owner telling the GM "well we tried your guy, now we try mine"

Yes, there is. At least in my opinion there is.

Ownership meddling in on-ice (or on-field) issues in sports almost never works out. There is a wide, massive, huge sample size of teams with meddling ownership who are not successful.

Name me a single team in the last 20 years whose owner got to choose the coach who has had any success. In any of the 4 major N.A. sports. Just a single team.

You pay people who know how to run a hockey team to run a hockey team. Stay out of it. You didn't make your billions with your "extensive" hockey strategy knowledge.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I've always found these comments interesting.

He is a hockey fan, and the owner, and he wants results. People expect him to just be a piggy bank? Of course he is going to have influence on the decisions.

You see it around the league as well, it was Geoff Molson (Montreals owner) who overstepped Bergevin and told him to meet Subbans demands and sign him.

Depends on how much influence an owner has.

If I'm the landlord of a building with a medical practice, I'm pretty sure the patients won't want me giving the doctors instructions how to handle their patients or what medications to give out.

An owner can be the biggest fan in the world, but there comes a time when you need to trust in the people you hire and let the experts make the decisions.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Yes, there is. At least in my opinion there is.

Ownership meddling in on-ice (or on-field) issues in sports almost never works out. There is a wide, massive, huge sample size of teams with meddling ownership who are not successful.

Name me a single team in the last 20 years whose owner got to choose the coach who has had any success. In any of the 4 major N.A. sports. Just a single team.

I agree with your premise, but Mark Cuban is pretty heavily involved with the Mavs, and they won and Championship.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I agree with your premise, but Mark Cuban is pretty heavily involved with the Mavs, and they won and Championship.

Cuban doesn't choose the coach. Don Nelson is one of the most respected GM's in the NBA.

Cuban is successful BECAUSE he hires great basketball people and lets them do their job. He does lots for the Mavs, but he stays out of the basketball decisions.

AND, every time Cuban has tried to do more, the team has suffered as a result. The post-2011 team that was absolutely ordinary after a championship was because Cuban came in and decided to put his fingerprints all over everything.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad