News Article: Mike Babcock Pretty Much Confirms Melnyk Involved In MacLean Firing

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I want to see someone come out and say Melnyk had MacLean fired so Cameron could coach. All this dancing around seems like speculation and assumptions.

Like the "forensic evidence" that Karlsson`s injury was done on purpose. Where did that discussion evaporate to.

Of course he has his hands all over the team. It`s his toy. Like Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Like the "forensic evidence" that Karlsson`s injury was done on purpose. Where did that discussion evaporate to.

Of course he has his hands all over the team. It`s his toy. Like Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.

So does this mean when we finally win the Cup that Melnyk will say he called the play on the Cup winning goal and was secretly coaching the special teams?

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Questions?????? ☺☻☺

A few questions??????

How long does former coach Paul MacLean's contract have on it?

What does the team have a fired coach do for the organization as he is still under contract. Or does he just sit home and take it easy?????

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Nothing wrong with ownership being involved with the team. Especially with a critical decision of who coaches your team.

There is no question in my mind this has only Brian Murray's fingerprints on it. He was quite vocal at the end of last year that Paul Maclean was on notice, stating that the players wanted the "Old Paul" back, and that the coach had to do a better job.

A few weeks ago, he labeled the defensive zone play as "disturbing". You gotta know that **** bothers Murray, big time, because defensive zone coverage can be taught, no something you are born with. Pretty ****ing easy to do , actually, as we have seen over the course of history. The Devils teach it, Julien teaches it, even plugs can be very effective at it. Jacques Martin taught it, etc...

So, yeah, Murray had enough as Maclean just wasn't fixing what ails this team. I back Murray on this and while I enjoyed the success and quotes of Maclean, the timing is right.

The fact that Maclean gets two years and 1/2 paid salary clearly tells me that Ottawa does not care about the salary. The fact that Cameron is chosen may be a way to mitigate some of that. If they were in such dire straits moneywise they would keep Maclean at least until the end of the season while the team continues to flounder. Fact is the management is trying to win and I appreciate that as a STH.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Hockey decisions should be left to people that have hockey knowledge and experience making these decisions.

Its like a mom making decisions for her kids WoW character because she pays for the subscription.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

I think his influence outside money is wayyyyy exaggerated. I dont think he makes player decisions at all.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Cameron is going to have a very long leash in Ottawa, I have a hard time ever seeing him get fired as long as Melnyk owns the team. Eugene has employed the guy for 15 years. Cameron will probably break Martin's record for games coached with the team.

Maybe Cameron has learned a few things over the past 3+ years assisting MacLean, and working with Mark Reeds, who completely outcoached him in the 2011 OHL finals, because his last experience head coaching in professional hockey was horrible with Bingo.

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
Hockey decisions should be left to people that have hockey knowledge and experience making these decisions.

Its like a mom making decisions for her kids WoW character because she pays for the subscription.

If WoW put money in Mom's pocket then you bet she would help with character decisions.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

If mom watched him play every time he gamed, I bet she would try to make some decisions.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Jerry Jones on welfare, doesn't get any worse than that. At least Jerry spends.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
A few questions??????

How long does former coach Paul MacLean's contract have on it?

What does the team have a fired coach do for the organization as he is still under contract. Or does he just sit home and take it easy?????

He has another 2 years left on the contract.
Based on my understanding from other coaches getting fired, they get paid until either their contract runs out or they accept another coaching job with another team.

Could be very different from coach to coach since they are contracts and all. But that is my understanding of the situation.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
He has another 2 years left on the contract.
Based on my understanding from other coaches getting fired, they get paid until either their contract runs out or they accept another coaching job with another team.

Could be very different from coach to coach since they are contracts and all. But that is my understanding of the situation.

"Qward":

Well thank you on the contract information......

I was also wondering if they could make him a scout or unoffical coach in Evansville and or Binghamton......

Seems like a waste of an asset who is being paid not to be involved somehow in scouting or coaching elsewhere in the Ottawa system.....

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
While I don't agree with firing him - it's not like he was doing an amazing job.

Other coaches have done more with less. It's not like Paul MacLean was breaking new ground and overachieving.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While I don't agree with firing him - it's not like he was doing an amazing job.

Other coaches have done more with less. It's not like Paul MacLean was breaking new ground and overachieving.[/QUOTE]

Maclean won coach of the yr last yr & was runner up the yr before because he specifically did more with less. Remember the injuries to the team's highest paid players Karlsson & Spezza & the team still made the playoffs & beat the higher seeded Montreal Canadians. Most thought he did over achieve with the group he had which is why he was so highly regarded.

It was this yr when the players got tired of being publicly criticized that he seemed to lose the room. This team & the leadership of this team has been suspect for yrs for being too comfortable & not working hard enough as what is required to be successful in the NHL. It's interesting to see that Cameron has them skating much harder in practise this week. Personally, Methot being injured all yr hurt Maclean & a number of players not just under performing but making so many dumb crucial mistakes (Karlsson) that were constantly costing them games also cost him his job.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
"Qward":

Well thank you on the contract information......

I was also wondering if they could make him a scout or unoffical coach in Evansville and or Binghamton......

Seems like a waste of an asset who is being paid not to be involved somehow in scouting or coaching elsewhere in the Ottawa system.....

Don't think it would work that way Zeke. He was abruptly dismissed from a high profile position. Even if he wanted to be involved, doubt the organization would want him. They'll probably just eat it for now.

Other coaches have done more with less. It's not like Paul MacLean was breaking new ground and overachieving.

True enough.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Don't think it would work that way Zeke. He was abruptly dismissed from a high profile position. Even if he wanted to be involved, doubt the organization would want him. They'll probably just eat it for now.

"Quo":

OK Quo thanks for the reply to my question...

Just seems like a waste of an asset to me but I can see how it could be an awkward situation........

I just hate to see an asset going to waste & not being used at all......

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
"Quo":

OK Quo thanks for the reply to my question...

Just seems like a waste of an asset to me but I can see how it could be an awkward situation........

I just hate to see an asset going to waste & not being used at all......

For sure Zeke, "awkward" would be the word. I doubt Eugene is very happy with it either, no matter that "his guy" gets a promotion as a consequence. No one likes betting on the wrong horse, wasting assets. IMO, just something they felt they had to do now. People can disagree but that's how I see it.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

Maclean won coach of the yr last yr & was runner up the yr before because he specifically did more with less. Remember the injuries to the team's highest paid players Karlsson & Spezza & the team still made the playoffs & beat the higher seeded Montreal Canadians. Most thought he did over achieve with the group he had which is why he was so highly regarded.

It was this yr when the players got tired of being publicly criticized that he seemed to lose the room. This team & the leadership of this team has been suspect for yrs for being too comfortable & not working hard enough as what is required to be successful in the NHL. It's interesting to see that Cameron has them skating much harder in practise this week. Personally, Methot being injured all yr hurt Maclean & a number of players not just under performing but making so many dumb crucial mistakes (Karlsson) that were constantly costing them games also cost him his job.

That was a 48 game season.... nothing from that season counts. Toronto made the playoffs. That says it all.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Cameron is going to have a very long leash in Ottawa, I have a hard time ever seeing him get fired as long as Melnyk owns the team. Eugene has employed the guy for 15 years. Cameron will probably break Martin's record for games coached with the team.

Maybe Cameron has learned a few things over the past 3+ years assisting MacLean, and working with Mark Reeds, who completely outcoached him in the 2011 OHL finals, because his last experience head coaching in professional hockey was horrible with Bingo.

I am afraid you are right. I think were in for some hard years.

It is Melnyks toy but having such a low payroll and all the meddling and installing the coach of his junior team as head coach...Melnyk is morphing into Wang.Except that Wang was not as stingy.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
That was a 48 game season.... nothing from that season counts. Toronto made the playoffs. That says it all.

That does not say it all .The year before every hockey publication predicted the Sens to come in last in the Conference and Maclean took them to the payoffs and nearly got by the Rangers.He was runner up for the Jack Adams. The next year he won it and the payoffs with Montreal were great.
He was a good coach and wanted to do great things with this team but they starved the team for money and good players, They lost Alfie.
Maclean was a scapegoat which is a shame as he was our first good coach in a long time and it may be a long time before they have another one

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
This should effectively snuff out the pipe dream that Ottawa had a chance at Babcock.

It should also show you how coaches around the league view the circus that is the Ottawa Senators. Only coaches this team will ever see are retreads no one else wants or promotions of our AHL coaches. But seeing as even Richardson isn't that interested in this job, we might be able to scratch that out too.

Go Euge!

Every coach in the league was a retread at some point in time.

Even Mike ****ing Babcock.

1. Who ever said there was a chance of that? if Maclean wasnt working then Babcock sure as hell wouldnt.

2. I don't think it does, at all. I think this is you projecting your own negativity.

3. Anyone who is even slightly informed on the situation (i.e, not you) knows that Richardson is staying in Binghampton until his daughter, who plays div 1 hockey nearby, graduates. He had a traumatic event in his life, I'm not sure if you know or care, but some people have priorities beyond being an NHL coach.

4. HE OWNS THE TEAM (this means, he pays for everything in the organization (some people dont seem to know this)). OWNERS HELP MAKE DECISIONS.

Great post.

I think many of us are still shocked over some facet of the firing or another. MacLean seems like a real likeable guy, and has a Jack Adams, to boot.

But it's made some people voluntarily forget things. Cameron was rumoured for the head coaching gig years ago. Many were relieved that it didn't happen then, with the memory of the WJC debacle still fresh in our minds. But undoubtedly the connection between Melnyk and Cameron was reinforced by his hiring as assistant. Not a bad move if you actually hope the guy succeeds, rather than thrust him into the role right away.

Let him learn it.

Maybe a pro team could hold a 3-0 lead if they're playing Cameron's system?

But maybe this is just Druncle Euge sticking his nose where it doesn't belong? You know? Like the NHL franchise he owns?

MacLean didn't have the players he needed for his system to be effective. He wasn't going to get them here any time soon. I didn't mind his decisions that drove some fans crazy, but when you're sandwiched between Buffalo and Colorado for shots against per game, you're not giving yourself a very good chance to win.

I hope we did MacLean a favour by letting him go.

But I also hope that Cameron sees something that MacLean didn't- even if he did have the unfair advantage of having an "in" with the owner. I'm not ready to damn him for that just yet.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
well that's two coaches in a row that "lost the room" and were ran out of town by the players, I hope it isn't a group thing where they should never be called out, or told what to do. that would sure suck, whaaa the coach help me responsible for my actions fire him. We will have a bunch of know it all Jason Spezza's on the team

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
well that's two coaches in a row that "lost the room" and were ran out of town by the players, I hope it isn't a group thing where they should never be called out, or told what to do. that would sure suck, whaaa the coach help me responsible for my actions fire him. We will have a bunch of know it all Jason Spezza's on the team

why is this still happening

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad