Speculation: Mike Babcock fired by the Leafs, should we take him back?

Should we take Babcock back?

• Yes - fire Blashill and bring Babcock back at this season, if Babcock gets fired

Votes: 33 11.7%
  • Yes - keep Blashill for rest of the contract and bring Babcock back later, starting at 2021

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • No - keep Blashill for rest of the contract, and make coaching change at 2021

Votes: 118 41.7%
  • No - fire Blashill and bring in some other coach.

Votes: 118 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Your expectations are the guidelines for Blashills success, got it. And they are FACTS to boot!!!

-Hronek took it upon himself after Blashill demoted him to GR to make steps. -1 Blashill
-Bertuzzi was BURIED in the lineup until the last 10 games of the season last year. -2Blashill
-Larkin came out of the Draft and exceeded expectations from day 1, that's on him not Blashill. -3 Blashill
-Mantha is just now doing as well as I expected him to do. -4 Blashill
-AA still wont use his teammates or play a 200ft game -5 Blashill

With the given above facts, it proves Blashill is doing unbelievable things TO our kids. Even Cholo has taken steps back and is starting to ignore Blashill and do it on his own, and Fabbri was a gift to the team from Yzerman that Blashill lucked into and probably saved his job.

Yes, every player Red Wings draft should play their very-first NHL game like the next prime Nick Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk and Steve Yzerman. Clearly your expectations are on another planet in some other universe.

I'm sure you make your mommy proud there, hoss.

Tirekicker

Dec 30, 2017
Babcock is what causes prospects with offensive upside to die. Hard pass.

I want whoever the new coach is to be better at developing players than the last two guys. That's really what we need the most right now.

I don't think the case for "Babcock and Blashill both suck at developing players" is a particularly strong one.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Looks like only 19 people out to lunch that's pretty good most fans get it. We don't want nor do we need Babcock back.

If you don't want Babcock back, thats totally cool, but no need to call people that dont agree with you "out to lunch" or "not getting it".
There is an argument both ways, anyone who thinks bringing Babs back or not is a black and white decision (either way) is most likely thinking emotionally.

Personally I would prefer someone else, but if its Blashill or Babs, I take Babs every day.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If you don't want Babcock back, thats totally cool, but no need to call people that dont agree with you "out to lunch" or "not getting it".
There is an argument both ways, anyone who thinks bringing Babs back or not is a black and white decision (either way) is most likely thinking emotionally.

Personally I would prefer someone else, but if its Blashill or Babs, I take Babs every day.

You don't replace a shitty coach with an equally shitty coach.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Yes, every player Red Wings draft should play their very-first NHL game like the next prime Nick Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk and Steve Yzerman. Clearly your expectations are on another planet in some other universe.

I'm sure you make your mommy proud there, hoss.

Strawman and ad hominem, nice :naughty:
And my Mommy is proud of me :nod:

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
You don't replace a ****ty coach with an equally ****ty coach.

This is just not true.

Its funny, I can remember a few years ago on LGW.com having a debate with Frank Grimes (every LGW.com poster knows who im talking about), and he was selling that Babcock was the best coach in the world by a mile. This was a sentiment that many argued. I argued against it, Babs is good, but he's not the best coach hands down. I didnt think that only a few years later I would having a debate with someone who is trying to sell that Babs is on par with Blashill, and is flat out "shitty". He's just not. You can argue that he alienates players, you can argue that he is stubborn with his line choices, you can definitely argue that he is not worth the contract he has in T.O, but to say he is simply "shitty", its just a hyperbolic statement.

Maybe you have coached at a high level and have a perspective that I dont, but I just don't buy it.

A lot of fans were hurt when Babs chose T.O over us, personally while I didnt like it, it didnt bother me. I was there when he made his return, and like the rest of the arena, I participated in giving him a standing ovation.

All I want is the coach that gives us the highest probability of winning a Stanley Cup, if thats Babs, bring him back. If its someone else, thats cool to. Like I said, I think I would prefer a new guy, but I'm not against bringing Babs back.

Last edited:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
This is just not true.

Its funny, I can remember a few years ago on LGW.com having a debate with Frank Grimes (every LGW.com poster knows who im talking about), and he was selling that Babcock was the best coach in the world by a mile. This was a sentiment that many argued. I argued against it, Babs is good, but he's not the best coach hands down. I didnt think that only a few years later I would having a debate with someone who is trying to sell that Babs is on par with Blashill, and is flat out "****ty". He's just not. You can argue that he alienates players, you can argue that he is stubborn with his line choices, you can definitely argue that he is not worth the contract he has in T.O, but to say he is simply "****ty", its just a hyperbolic statement.

Maybe you have coached at a high level and have a perspective that I dont, but I just don't buy it.

A lot of fans were hurt when Babs chose T.O over us, personally while I didnt like it, it didnt bother me. I was there when he made his return, and like the rest of the arena, I participated in giving him a standing ovation.

All I want is the coach that gives us the highest probability of winning a Stanley Cup, if thats Babs, bring him back. If its someone else, thats cool to. Like I said, I think I would prefer a new guy, but I'm not against bringing Babs back.
Well said, and I must agree here.

Babs is good - he's very good if he has the 'right' type of players that will play to his style which Toronto does not have.

Just like any coach in the NHL - they have a shelf life, and the lads in Tronna have tuned him out since January.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My prediction for Maple Leafs future:

A) Babcock gets fired before july 2020. Leafs mangement will give an option for Dubas to bring his own guy in.
B) Keefe promoted from Marlies.
C) Keefe will get a hot start, but roster has same Dubas-built flaws as Babcock had.
D) Dubas will get fired after 2-3 seasons. Best result will be 2nd round exit.
E) UFA-Matthews bolts to Arizona at summer of 2024 thanks to uncertain situation.
F) New GM in.
G) Keefe fired.
H) New GM will bring his own guy in at 2024-25 season
I) Core already getting old/overpaid at ~2026
J) Mediocre success with old core.
K) Team will go to new rebuild. ~2028.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Well said, and I must agree here.

Babs is good - he's very good if he has the 'right' type of players that will play to his style which Toronto does not have.

Just like any coach in the NHL - they have a shelf life, and the lads in Tronna have tuned him out since January.

having watched a fair amount of Leafs games this season it’s crazy how much they don’t play like a team. Offensively there’s some great chemistry but overall it’s a lot of individual efforts. And they lose so many 50/50 puck battles.

I’m not really a truculence guy but in getting rid of Kadri (who was problematic) they lost one of the only guys who played like he gives a shit.

I don’t know that Babcock is their biggest problem but maybe getting their coach fired will wake these kids up.

especially when their new coach expects them to stop being so soft on the puck too.

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
having watched a fair amount of Leafs games this season it’s crazy how much they don’t play like a team. Offensively there’s some great chemistry but overall it’s a lot of individual efforts. And they lose so many 50/50 puck battles.

I’m not really a truculence guy but in getting rid of Kadri (who was problematic) they lost one of the only guys who played like he gives a ****.

I don’t know that Babcock is their biggest problem but maybe getting their coach fired will wake these kids up.

especially when their new coach expects them to stop being so soft on the puck too.
In an alternate universe Babs would take just about any Red Wing over a Maple Leaf player that he has coached - especially the 'Euro Twins' over Tavares/Matthews.

You're right - the Leafs are mostly 'individuals' who are content with doing their own thing since some have gotten their big pay day without accomplishing much.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Been there, done that.

we’re trying to move forwards not back.
Babcock wouldn't be the 1st - nor do I think he'd be the last guy to get re-hired by a former team.

If Blashill makes it thru the 2020/2021 season - Yzerman will have some big decisions at that time...It'll be interesting.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
My prediction for Maple Leafs future:

A) Babcock gets fired before july 2020. Leafs mangement will give an option for Dubas to bring his own guy in.
B) Keefe promoted from Marlies.
C) Keefe will get a hot start, but roster has same Dubas-built flaws as Babcock had.
D) Dubas will get fired after 2-3 seasons. Best result will be 2nd round exit.
E) UFA-Matthews bolts to Arizona at summer of 2024 thanks to uncertain situation.
F) New GM in.
G) Keefe fired.
H) New GM will bring his own guy in at 2024-25 season
I) Core already getting old/overpaid at ~2026
J) Mediocre success with old core.
K) Team will go to new rebuild. ~2028.
Detroit Red Wings coached by Mike Babcock replace the Boston Bruins as Toronto's 'kryptonite'...

:laugh:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Toronto isn't firing Babcock.

Detroit isn't going to pay Babcock's salary on a roster that won't be competing for a playoff spot for at least three more years.

There is no chance Babcock would want to come back.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Still don't want him back here, now that he has been fired. Clearly isn't able to coach younger players in the NHL. Give him an Olympic Team or a team with a half a dozen hall of famers and he's your guy.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Toronto isn't firing Babcock.

Detroit isn't going to pay Babcock's salary on a roster that won't be competing for a playoff spot for at least three more years.

There is no chance Babcock would want to come back.

Remember when Toronto gave Detroit a pick so they could hire Mike Babcock, give him 50 mil, then fire him because they still suck.he is fired

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
EJ2LWQFWsAYNpzW

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Babcock will take ROS off and probably next year, but I think he takes one more HC gig - probably a southern US team. Get's away from the fishbowl pressure and he can go out on a higher note.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad