Speculation: Mike Babcock fired by the Leafs, should we take him back?

Should we take Babcock back?

• Yes - fire Blashill and bring Babcock back at this season, if Babcock gets fired

Votes: 33 11.7%
  • Yes - keep Blashill for rest of the contract and bring Babcock back later, starting at 2021

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • No - keep Blashill for rest of the contract, and make coaching change at 2021

Votes: 118 41.7%
  • No - fire Blashill and bring in some other coach.

Votes: 118 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The Marlies now have an opening, maybe Blashill and Babcock can go coach them together.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Do not want to see Babcock back, those last several seasons of him were brutal especially Cleary and Abby ice time. I don't want to see another Real Gud team. I want to see a youthful skillful puck possession team.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would love to see this but it aint gonna happen with the coach we have now either.

Frankly it aint going to happen with the team we have either. It's going to be a while and I don't think Blash will be part of the team if and when it gets there.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I voted for Fire Blashill and bring in a new coach.

Not sure Babcock is the guy for a upstart rebuild. Let Yzerman bring some new blood in with fresh ideas. Over some time now the Red Wings have been pretty good at going and getting good coaches... I think the exceptions imo are Blashill and Dave Lewis the past 30 years...

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'm surprised Blash outlasted Babs, but I guess the pressure cooker of TML vs. rebuild on the fly Wings is the big factor. He deserved better, but was Dubas' scapegoat,however I don't want him back here. Now it's literally on the Leafs players to get it done. (they won't) unless they play hard-nosed playoff hockey & solid team defense, which they're not built for. Leafs should trade a Kapanen or Johnsson for a solid Stay at home #3D.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Babcock did him pretty dirty twice. He should probably shut up about it now, but there are plenty of people that dislike Babcock out there, just not as consistently belligerent about it.
Yeah I'm not going to say that Babcock was a shining star of coaching, but at this point the obsession is increasingly pathetic. Move on with your life, man.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah I'm not going to say that Babcock was a shining star of coaching, but at this point the obsession is increasingly pathetic. Move on with your life, man.

He thinks he ended his career and cost him a great deal of money at two different points.

I don't really understand Babcock pretending to want him the second time when he came here, that was strange. I am sure Ken Holland doesn't really appreciate him mentioning it but when they GM trades you and tells you it is because he feels bad for you and your relationship with the coach... Welp that ain't good.:laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ya think?

Franzen and Flip are a couple that we know are not fans either...

Curious when Matthews opens up on their relationship if he does, because that is ultimately what cost Babs his job. Well that and Dubas doesn't understand that eventually you need to defend at some point, a little...

On a side note, especially considering how terrible the health stories are, I am amazed at how awesome Franzen is on social media. Dude is generally hilarious.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Babcock did him pretty dirty twice. He should probably shut up about it now, but there are plenty of people that dislike Babcock out there, just not as consistently belligerent about it.
Commodore thinks Babcock did him dirty twice.

Forget it's Babcock for a second. A former player has been obsessively trashing a coach for 7 years now for fairly minor incidents. Saying things like ""If I could legitimately hurt him and get away with it, I would consider doing it."

He's still bitter Babcock said to the papers in 2002 that Commie showed up to camp out of shape.
And it's not just Babcock. Commodore believes he was thrown off the team in Columbus because coach Scott Arniel was jealous of Commodore "because he was single and made a lot of money."
He's still pissed he didn't play more for Babcock in Detroit 7 friggin years ago! (He washed out of the NHL the next season)

Babcock hilariously just got shitcanned from the Maple Leafs, but Mike Commodore is unhinged, delusional and frankly pathetic.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He thinks he ended his career and cost him a great deal of money at two different points.

I don't really understand Babcock pretending to want him the second time when he came here, that was strange. I am sure Ken Holland doesn't really appreciate him mentioning it but when they GM trades you and tells you it is because he feels bad for you and your relationship with the coach... Welp that ain't good.:laugh:
Why are you taking Commodore's words as fact?

Whether or not Babcock wanted Commie in Detroit, it was pretty clear Commodore was no longer an NHL caliber defenseman.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Commodore thinks Babcock did him dirty twice.

Forget it's Babcock for a second. A former player has been obsessively trashing a coach for 7 years now. Saying things like ""If I could legitimately hurt him and get away with it, I would consider doing it."

He's still bitter Babcock said to the papers in 2002 that Commie showed up to camp out of shape.
Commodore believes he was thrown off the team in Columbus because coach Scott Arniel was jealous of Commodore "because he was single and made a lot of money."
He's still pissed he didn't play more for Babcock in Detroit 7 friggin years ago! He washed out of the NHL the next season.

Babcock hilariously just got ****canned from the Maple Leafs, but Mike Commodore is unhinged, delusional and pretty pathetic.

On the second go round Holland traded him and told him he wasn't getting a fair shake. You can believe him on that one or not.

Really not here to debate if it was pathetic. I was surprised he signed, it wasn't smart. Players don't really exit Babcock's doghouse that I remember, he has a similar narrow focus from watching him over the years. Like I said I am not championing how Commodore goes about it, far from it. But, there is a personal relationship there and a lot of history that a bunch of folks don't know a ton about.

Why is it that the ex-teammates and Spittin Chicklets don't slap him down on this either???

I think he should move on, it is pathetic. But Babs should probably start treating his players a little better too, that seems to be a theme throughout his career even if Commodore behaves like an absolute idiot about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad