Speculation: Mike Babcock fired by the Leafs, should we take him back?

Should we take Babcock back?

• Yes - fire Blashill and bring Babcock back at this season, if Babcock gets fired

Votes: 33 11.7%
  • Yes - keep Blashill for rest of the contract and bring Babcock back later, starting at 2021

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • No - keep Blashill for rest of the contract, and make coaching change at 2021

Votes: 118 41.7%
  • No - fire Blashill and bring in some other coach.

Votes: 118 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Another argument for not accepting Babcock and keeping Blashill is that if you squint, you can pretend Blashill is really the short-haired version of Paul Maurice, wearing slightly different glasses. You can't do that with Babcock.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
This may be old news but Eliot clarifies some statments in his article:

"3. Chris Chelios’s Spittin’ Chiclets interview about Babcock had some confusing timelines, because when the Johan Franzen incident occurred (as Nashville eliminated Detroit in Game 5 of the 2012 first round), Chelios was no longer on the Red Wings. He referenced a meeting Ken Holland had with the players, where the GM defended his coach. I think this has to do with Marty McSorley. McSorley worked on San Jose Sharks broadcasts, and once said none of the Red Wings liked playing for Babcock. Word got back to Detroit reporters, who asked Holland about it. (The current Edmonton GM declined to discuss this, but did speak to the Detroit Free Press’s Helene St. James about the Franzen incident.)
What I heard is Holland didn’t like how players gave McSorley that information, and told them that if they wanted to say anything to him (or be traded), they could meet him privately in his office and he would keep those conversations secret. I don’t believe anyone asked out. McSorley left his Sharks’ TV role following the 2006-07 season. Anyway, just some clarity on that situation."

31 Thoughts: A 'Code of Conduct' is coming to the NHL - Sportsnet.ca

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I wonder if Babcock would be willing to come in on an interim basis (remainder of '19-20) if Yzerman ends up firing Blashill.

He could take the remaining ~3.5 months to assess the team and install a real system. It would give him a chance to show his worth/rehab his image a bit before next season. It would give the Wings a good look at what they've got under a proven coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I wonder if Babcock would be willing to come in on an interim basis (remainder of '19-20) if Yzerman ends up firing Blashill.

He could take the remaining ~3.5 months to assess the team and install a real system. It would give him a chance to show his worth/rehab his image a bit before next season.

If I'm Babcock, I'm waiting for Cooper to get fired and taking over down in Tampa, and beating Toronto in the playoffs.
Until I find that perfect place, I just keep collecting my check from Toronto.

Besides, I personally don't think I could stomach Babcock returning.

Reactions: Ricelund

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

He could take the remaining ~3.5 months to assess the team and install a real system. It would give him a chance to show his worth/rehab his image a bit before next season. It would give the Wings a good look at what they've got under a proven coach.

I'd be all for it at this point.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

In these troubling times, I'd prefer a Player's first coach.

This season is already hard mentally for the players, a guy like Babcock may destroy whatever confidence they have left. If Bruce Boudreau is let go, I'd love him. Yeah, he never gets it done in his playoffs, but he has noted success with younger players and in the regular season. Ride him for 2-3 years and then boot him for a Babcockish coach when we're entering our window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad