Speculation: Mike Babcock fired by the Leafs, should we take him back?

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by Henkka, Nov 18, 2019.

1. SIte maintenance will be talking place March 30th between 10PM ET and Tuesday afternoon. It may include downtime.
    Dismiss Notice
?

Should we take Babcock back?

Poll closed Dec 18, 2019.
  1. Yes - fire Blashill and bring Babcock back at this season, if Babcock gets fired

33 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. Yes - keep Blashill for rest of the contract and bring Babcock back later, starting at 2021

14 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. No - keep Blashill for rest of the contract, and make coaching change at 2021

118 vote(s)
    41.7%
  4. No - fire Blashill and bring in some other coach.

118 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Crashes the Crease

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Another argument for not accepting Babcock and keeping Blashill is that if you squint, you can pretend Blashill is really the short-haired version of Paul Maurice, wearing slightly different glasses. You can't do that with Babcock.

2. waltdetroit

waltdetroit Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    This may be old news but Eliot clarifies some statments in his article:

"3. Chris Chelios’s Spittin’ Chiclets interview about Babcock had some confusing timelines, because when the Johan Franzen incident occurred (as Nashville eliminated Detroit in Game 5 of the 2012 first round), Chelios was no longer on the Red Wings. He referenced a meeting Ken Holland had with the players, where the GM defended his coach. I think this has to do with Marty McSorley. McSorley worked on San Jose Sharks broadcasts, and once said none of the Red Wings liked playing for Babcock. Word got back to Detroit reporters, who asked Holland about it. (The current Edmonton GM declined to discuss this, but did speak to the Detroit Free Press’s Helene St. James about the Franzen incident.)
    What I heard is Holland didn’t like how players gave McSorley that information, and told them that if they wanted to say anything to him (or be traded), they could meet him privately in his office and he would keep those conversations secret. I don’t believe anyone asked out. McSorley left his Sharks’ TV role following the 2006-07 season. Anyway, just some clarity on that situation."

31 Thoughts: A 'Code of Conduct' is coming to the NHL - Sportsnet.ca

3. Ricelund

Ricelund ̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶ Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I wonder if Babcock would be willing to come in on an interim basis (remainder of '19-20) if Yzerman ends up firing Blashill.

He could take the remaining ~3.5 months to assess the team and install a real system. It would give him a chance to show his worth/rehab his image a bit before next season. It would give the Wings a good look at what they've got under a proven coach.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    MBH likes this.
  4. MBH

MBH Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    If I'm Babcock, I'm waiting for Cooper to get fired and taking over down in Tampa, and beating Toronto in the playoffs.
    Until I find that perfect place, I just keep collecting my check from Toronto.

Besides, I personally don't think I could stomach Babcock returning.

Ricelund likes this.
  5. Dotter

Dotter life feels like a test I didn’t study for

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Home Page:
    I'd be all for it at this point.

6. Sir Savage the 21st

Sir Savage the 21st Oy Mate, you having a giggle?

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    In these troubling times, I'd prefer a Player's first coach.

This season is already hard mentally for the players, a guy like Babcock may destroy whatever confidence they have left. If Bruce Boudreau is let go, I'd love him. Yeah, he never gets it done in his playoffs, but he has noted success with younger players and in the regular season. Ride him for 2-3 years and then boot him for a Babcockish coach when we're entering our window.