Mike Babcock discussion part 3.

Will Babcock be fired if the Leafs/Pens game is a shutout loss?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Babs thinks he played too much, 22 mins seems in line for average top line minutes IMO
Yeah they probably have some optimal number set and prefer not to go over that.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
upload_2019-11-11_9-50-5.jpeg

Incoming

Mike Babcock

is a good person
Very good human , father , husband
Good professional
Inspiring philosopher
Good coach ( not great coach )
Was excellent in setting up the rebuild
Just not the right coach for us today , with our roster and makeup and age and skill set and era and trend happening in hockey Moving forward .

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
does that not sound ridiculous to you? A professional athlete cant play an extra minute or 2 in a game where his team needs production?
I think he prefers to keep them under a certain number and mentioned that they went over it.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I think he prefers to keep them under a certain number and mentioned that they went over it.
He’s trying to do the right thing in his mind and experience in attempting to make this group of young stars we have to be complete hockey players in the way he deems fit .
The problem is that these young players coming up today for the most part are just not going to follow this program no matter what and with them making the kind of money they do and the importance of who they are as “ stars “ for the organization and team and fan base and themselves . They know they are staying put
They want to play a style that differs from what he wants
He is stubborn and maybe rightfully so , but it doesn’t take away the fact that they are not going to follow
It’s over with him
Shelf life is over ...

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He’s trying to do the right thing in his mind and experience in attempting to make this group of young stars we have to be complete hockey players in the way he deems fit .
The problem is that these young players coming up today for the most part are just not going to follow this program no matter what and with them making the kind of money they do and the importance of who they are as “ stars “ for the organization and team and fan base and themselves . They know they are staying put
They want to play a style that differs from what he wants
He is stubborn and maybe rightfully so , but it didn’t take away the fact that they are not going to follow
It’s over with him
Shelf life is over ...
Yep, agreed.
Never really liked him as Coach, I doubt he has any supporters left.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'm actually thinking we should keep Babcock just to ensure ourselves a lottery pick this year.... Then fire his butt after the season.

Might as well make the best of the cards we've been drawn....
That would be a very nice thing to do for Carolina

Bust

Jul 28, 2016

Yes you mentioned that.
My question to you was does that not sound silly? that a young, professional isn't capable of an extra shift or 2, regardless if those shifts take him above some arbitrary number of minutes? By Babs own admission he mentioned that he played too much, Matthews got 4 points. does that not kibosh his argument for excessive minute management?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yes you mentioned that.
My question to you was does that not sound silly? that a young, professional isn't capable of an extra shift or 2, regardless if those shifts take him above some arbitrary number of minutes? By Babs own admission he mentioned that he played too much, Matthews got 4 points. does that not kibosh his argument for excessive minute management?
I think it's more of an accumulative thing. Playing extra minutes every night over the course of the season is probably said to have some negative affect.
If it were up to me Matthews line and Tavares line would play a ton.

Reactions: supermann_98

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I think it's more of an accumulative thing. Playing extra minutes every night over the course of the season is probably said to have some negative affect.
If it were up to me Matthews line and Tavares line would play a ton.

Yeah, probably.

Reactions: ToMaLe

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
I honestly don't know how much blame Babcock deserves for the issues of this team. What I do know is that this version of the Leafs (if you look at the season and not two periods tonight) is just the absolute opposite of my preference, system-wise:

- I prefer controlled, creative breakouts. I'll buy the extra turnovers for significantly more controlled zone exits. We're a bit better there, but nowhere near where we (should) be.
- I think a team like ours should be designed around getting the carry-in, rather than the dump-in. Our entire team is specialized towards it, yet we dump it in more than most teams.
- I like offense created from switching positions, playing close to each other and working east-west to get good looks from the slot. The majority of our offense so far has consisted of winning the dump-in, getting the puck up high, and crowd the net. Almost no teams shots as much from the blue line as we do.
- I like a quick, intense forecheck intended to force mistake. We are very quick to abandon it and settle back in the neutral zone.
- I want the team to focus defensively on constant pressure and keeping guys out of shooting lanes, even if that means no blocks. Shots from far out with clear sightlines are routine saves. Let the goalie make them.
- I like teams that care for the puck. As a Swede, it boggles my mind how willing NA teams is to just hand the puck over before line changes or on breakouts. Manage the puck. Don't just hand the opposition possession.

Not going into special teams because that's a whole different area. PK isn't a strong point for me and I quite like our aggressive play and the way we hunt for chances when possible. PP though....
I was struck by how wedded we are to dump in's when last night I watched Moore carry the puck with speed over the opposition blue line. He had a lane to keep going, but he hesitated, then stopped, remembering (I imagine) that dump in's are mandatory, and then dumped it in, resulting in the puck coming back up the other way.

Reluctantly, I'm thinking a change is needed behind the bench.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I was struck by how wedded we are to dump in's when last night I watched Moore carry the puck with speed over the opposition blue line. He had a lane to keep going, but he hesitated, then stopped, remembering (I imagine) that dump in's are mandatory, and then dumped it in, resulting in the puck coming back up the other way.

Reluctantly, I'm thinking a change is needed behind the bench.

My favorite part about it is that the dump-in is supposed to be a safe reliable play, but the way we run it through the stretch pass makes it dangerous against us from the amount of icings we take.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Babs is full of you know what. he never hesitates to play his favorites as much as he wants Mo Riels, Cici, Z, Hainsey get 15 plus minutes a night but no forward gets an extra minute or two. Nice double edge sword there. He contradicts himself a lot when it meets his agenda. The Leafs will get what they deserve sticking to this coach and this unbalanced team construction.
you will get the odd good games but definitely not a winning formula. That's as clear as day.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
"More" in this case is just "average" for other star players. I don't know how Babcock's only takeaway from the game being that he played Matthews too much isn't concerning.
Too much? Him and Nylander were flying out there! He's mad that Matthews got 4 assists or something?

This old Saskatchewan goofball should be fired no doubt. This team never starts on time, is always chasing the lead, and is treading water against lottery teams.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
We only have our lambo on a 5 year rental. nothing further is promised.
Seriously, Arizona is gonna get a low mileage supercar in 5 years while we restock with Lada's.

Hopefully McDavid still has a soft spot for Toronto and comes back when his contract ends, but that's a supercar that will have a shit-ton of mileage on it and will be even more expensive

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I honestly don't know how much blame Babcock deserves for the issues of this team. What I do know is that this version of the Leafs (if you look at the season and not two periods tonight) is just the absolute opposite of my preference, system-wise:

- I prefer controlled, creative breakouts. I'll buy the extra turnovers for significantly more controlled zone exits. We're a bit better there, but nowhere near where we (should) be.
- I think a team like ours should be designed around getting the carry-in, rather than the dump-in. Our entire team is specialized towards it, yet we dump it in more than most teams.
- I like offense created from switching positions, playing close to each other and working east-west to get good looks from the slot. The majority of our offense so far has consisted of winning the dump-in, getting the puck up high, and crowd the net. Almost no teams shots as much from the blue line as we do.
- I like a quick, intense forecheck intended to force mistake. We are very quick to abandon it and settle back in the neutral zone.
- I want the team to focus defensively on constant pressure and keeping guys out of shooting lanes, even if that means no blocks. Shots from far out with clear sightlines are routine saves. Let the goalie make them.
- I like teams that care for the puck. As a Swede, it boggles my mind how willing NA teams is to just hand the puck over before line changes or on breakouts. Manage the puck. Don't just hand the opposition possession.

Not going into special teams because that's a whole different area. PK isn't a strong point for me and I quite like our aggressive play and the way we hunt for chances when possible. PP though....
The blame stems from the fact that he is in control.Therefore ,whatever problems arise are his to solve. He isn't /hasn't been Pro-active in that regard ...at all!

Reactions: Nithoniniel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad