Mike Babcock discussion part 3.

Will Babcock be fired if the Leafs/Pens game is a shutout loss?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yes Toronto sports guy..

Seriously, can you stop with the posting of irrelevant twitter garbage. There should be a rule against it.

I mean it’s not really an opinion is it? Apparently One coach adapts the other reacts. Babcock is incredibly reactive as a coach line matching to a fault etc.

I don’t follow the raptors or nba so I’m going to have to assume that’s true of nurse but it’s a fact of babs he never sis challenging to other teams to adapt to us

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes Toronto sports guy..

Seriously, can you stop with the posting of irrelevant twitter garbage. There should be a rule against it.
Yeah, that was a seriously stupid one. I guess the bar has been reset.
Only thing basketball and hockey have in common is they play in arenas.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I honestly don't know how much blame Babcock deserves for the issues of this team. What I do know is that this version of the Leafs (if you look at the season and not two periods tonight) is just the absolute opposite of my preference, system-wise:

- I prefer controlled, creative breakouts. I'll buy the extra turnovers for significantly more controlled zone exits. We're a bit better there, but nowhere near where we (should) be.
- I think a team like ours should be designed around getting the carry-in, rather than the dump-in. Our entire team is specialized towards it, yet we dump it in more than most teams.
- I like offense created from switching positions, playing close to each other and working east-west to get good looks from the slot. The majority of our offense so far has consisted of winning the dump-in, getting the puck up high, and crowd the net. Almost no teams shots as much from the blue line as we do.
- I like a quick, intense forecheck intended to force mistake. We are very quick to abandon it and settle back in the neutral zone.
- I want the team to focus defensively on constant pressure and keeping guys out of shooting lanes, even if that means no blocks. Shots from far out with clear sightlines are routine saves. Let the goalie make them.
- I like teams that care for the puck. As a Swede, it boggles my mind how willing NA teams is to just hand the puck over before line changes or on breakouts. Manage the puck. Don't just hand the opposition possession.

Not going into special teams because that's a whole different area. PK isn't a strong point for me and I quite like our aggressive play and the way we hunt for chances when possible. PP though....

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I mean it’s not really an opinion is it? Apparently One coach adapts the other reacts. Babcock is incredibly reactive as a coach line matching to a fault etc.

I don’t follow the raptors or nba so I’m going to have to assume that’s true of nurse but it’s a fact of babs he never sis challenging to other teams to adapt to us

Can't really compare the 2 sports TBH. You could also argue that Nurse plays his starters too much, even though the bench always looks good. Lets blame Nurse for getting Lowry and Ibaka hurt because they were playing too much.

Reactions: MyBudJT and rubous

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Can't really compare the 2 sports TBH. You could also argue that Nurse plays his starters too much, even though the bench always looks good. Lets blame Nurse for getting Lowry and Ibaka hurt because they were playing too much.

Is it confirmed that their injuries were due to playing too many minutes?

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
I'm actually thinking we should keep Babcock just to ensure ourselves a lottery pick this year.... Then fire his butt after the season.

Might as well make the best of the cards we've been drawn....

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
playing your best player 21:56 is not “too much” IMO. Especially considering the 4 point, dominant performance.

Sure it is. These aren't robots... More minutes = higher chance of injury.

Babcock said Matthews played great... I don't think he thinks more minutes = less competent. He's thinking more minutes = higher risk of injury.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
playing your best player 21:56 is not “too much” IMO. Especially considering the 4 point, dominant performance.
I think they are hoping to avoid burn out by playing a couple minutes less.
I don't get the outrage.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I think they are hoping to avoid burn out by playing a couple minutes less.
I don't get the outrage.

who is outraged?

the Kid played almost 22 mins in a game where we were behind the 8 ball the entire time. This is why we have star caliber players like Matthews. You play this guy when you need production.

nothing is guaranteed. We are not guaranteed playoffs. We need to actually get there. To live and die on the backs of your best players is not a bad thing.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Sure it is. These aren't robots... More minutes = higher chance of injury.

Babcock said Matthews played great... I don't think he thinks more minutes = less competent. He's thinking more minutes = higher risk of injury.

Would you buy a Lamborghini to only drive it in 1st? “Hey it’s a lambo! I don’t wanna scratch it!”

Reactions: Tlo1

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Would you buy a Lamborghini to only drive it in 1st? “Hey it’s a lambo! I don’t wanna scratch it!”

I would treat it as well as I could to make sure that it would last 20 years...

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
who is outraged?

the Kid played almost 22 mins in a game where we were behind the 8 ball the entire time. This is why we have star caliber players like Matthews. You play this guy when you need production.

nothing is guaranteed. We are not guaranteed playoffs. We need to actually get there. To live and die on the backs of your best players is not a bad thing.
Yes, they were down and he played more.
I don't see the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad