Mike Augello Grades Our Centres...

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Bolland at age 28 soon fits in better with the Leafs long-term resigned core group 27-31 of Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul and Clarkson.

I personally would prefer after all these years of non playoff bottom 10 finishes to be setting up our core group < 25.

However if Bolland is resigned and Kadri forced out in trade then its clear that I would prefer is not what is actually transpiring.

There aren't enough sad faces to display my feelings towards a core of Bolland,Kessel,Lupul,Clarkson,Phaneuf.
Glad we're not tanking I'd hate to miss the playoffs for another 5 years.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Bolland at age 28 soon fits in better with the Leafs long-term resigned core group 27-31 of Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul and Clarkson.

I personally would prefer after all these years of non playoff bottom 10 finishes to be setting up our core group < 25.

However if Bolland is resigned and Kadri forced out in trade then its clear that I would prefer is not what is actually transpiring. All these years of fan suffering and bottoming out results to ice a Leafs team core of 25-30 and at top cap $ instead of cheaper ELC and early contracts of drafted and developed young players is opposite to the norm of expectability, but that is the road this current rebuild has taken us.

But why do you assume that Kadri isn't traded for a similar aged player that (hopefully) fills a need.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Because a smarter / more defensive player like Bolland is available.

Some of us don't believe this negative hype (created by an agent and the news media) about Bolland's contract demands. They were saying the same things about Bozak and his contract last year.

Also

Bolland is a really good player.

But a less skilled more injured prone. And a much older player.

Bolland is a fine player. One that has a career high of 47 points achieved 5 years ago and hasn't went over the 40 point mark since then.

But yes, let's trade one of our more skilled centers and one that just finished his first full 82 game season to keep the guy that can't stay healthy.

Oh good golly this is fun.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Because a smarter / more defensive player like Bolland is available.

Some of us don't believe this negative hype (created by an agent and the news media) about Bolland's contract demands. They were saying the same things about Bozak and his contract last year.

Also

Bolland is a really good player.

Bolland is a perfect 3rd line center if Healthy, something he has not been....Bolland's agent made that demand and it is not something made up by the media but real. He will not be signing for anything less than 4M per and sorry but I'm not interested in paying a 3rd line center 4m plus who has not played a full season in 5 years. Then to trade Kadri to keep Bolland is nothing short of flawed thinking.

We need a #1 Center and have Kadri continue as our number 2 with some wingers who can drive possession. Then we need a center who can play against the other teams best players while remaining healthy. I would give Holland the opportunity. I would be looking to trade Bozak and sign or trade for a #1 and go from there.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Bolland is a perfect 3rd line center if Healthy, something he has not been....Bolland's agent made that demand and it is not something made up by the media but real. He will not be signing for anything less than 4M per and sorry but I'm not interested in paying a 3rd line center 4m plus who has not played a full season in 5 years. Then to trade Kadri to keep Bolland is nothing short of flawed thinking.

We need a #1 Center and have Kadri continue as our number 2 with some wingers who can drive possession. Then we need a center who can play against the other teams best players while remaining healthy. I would give Holland the opportunity. I would be looking to trade Bozak and sign or trade for a #1 and go from there.

Its funny, because Kadri is the weak spot in our top6 C's. Not Bozak.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
2 LW ($5.000m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($3.000m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.800m) / Peter Holland ($0.851m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Jerry D'Amigo ($0.851m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Carter Ashton ($0.851m)
DEFENSEMEN
Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m) / Dion Phaneuf ($7.000m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.500m) / D (for Kadri) ($2.500m)
Tim Gleason ($4.000m) / Morgan Rielly ($0.894m)
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
Backup (UFA) ($1.000m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Komisarek ($0.000m)
Mikhail Grabovski ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,095,667; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $6,004,333

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Yes, in Kadri's sophomore year, Tyler Bozak did outplay him in the 58 games he played this year. I would bet against that happening for the majority of their careers though..

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Yes, in Kadri's sophomore year, Tyler Bozak did outplay him in the 58 games he played this year. I would bet against that happening for the majority of their careers though..

I don't think that's quite true.

Bozak is just all-round a more trustworthy player on the ice. I don't see this going away with age/experience; and I don't think Kadri will suddenly turn into a 2-way force. He might improve on his offensive consistency; but I think he's always going to be the kind of player that coaches are weary about putting on the ice in certain situations.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If The Leafs had:

Robby Fabbri
Tyler Bozak
Fred Gauthier
Sam Carrick

as our top 4 C's one day. All homegrown talents, this team will be a major force one day.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Kadri is a young player who just completed his first full NHL season is our weak spot and Bozak who just had his best season after putting up less then impressive numbers for the previous seasons and has never put up 50 points in any season is not, while playing on our number 1 line high scoring line for most of his time here.

Our weak spot in our top 6....is heart ....we were far to soft and easy to play against and that does not describe Kadri, but it describes Bozak, Kessel,and Raymond.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I don't think that's quite true.

Bozak is just all-round a more trustworthy player on the ice. I don't see this going away with age/experience; and I don't think Kadri will suddenly turn into a 2-way force. He might improve on his offensive consistency; but I think he's always going to be the kind of player that coaches are weary about putting on the ice in certain situations.

I agree with you in that Kadri will never turn into a 2-way force, it just isn't Kadri's game, and I also agree that you'll never see Kadri in the last minute of a game trying to protect the lead, just like you won't see a Phil Kessel for example, out their in the dire minutes of a game. That doesn't mean that Nazem Kadri won't be an important player for whichever team he plays for. If Kadri can improve his offensive consistency like you insist, while playing his phyiscal pesty game, and also being at the top of the league in drawing penalties, he will be a valuable commodity to this team.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think he will improve on his 2-way game though, maturity, experience, and good coaching will definitely help him in that regard.

Tyler Bozak will most likely always be superior defensively, but I doubt he'd sniff 50 points without playing with Phil Kessel, and being gifted first unit powerplay time. Kadri hit 50 in an obvious down season, while playing with Lupul who was also had an awful year, and players like Kulemin, Raymond, and Clarkson.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If The Leafs had:

Robby Fabbri
Tyler Bozak
Fred Gauthier
Sam Carrick

as our top 4 C's one day. All homegrown talents, this team will be a major force one day.

Robby Fabbri will never be a #1 center as he is far to small.....

We would have 2 small centers playing on our top 2 lines....and Carrick has played more time on the wing than at center for the Marlies this year at least the games that I have watched.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
But WOW, do opinions change ever so quickly, anyone remember what the majority of the board thought of Tyler Bozak this time last year?

It rhymed with pit.

edbrubaker*

Bolland has been my favorite player in the league for years, was elated when Nonis traded for him but even I, with my bias wouldn't despise trading Kadri to over pay Bolland. Bolland is great in the three spot, Leafs have to deal with the top two first.

ForSpareParts*

Kadri is a young player who just completed his first full NHL season is our weak spot and Bozak who just had his best season after putting up less then impressive numbers for the previous seasons and has never put up 50 points in any season is not, while playing on our number 1 line high scoring line for most of his time here.

Our weak spot in our top 6....is heart ....we were far to soft and easy to play against and that does not describe Kadri, but it describes Bozak, Kessel,and Raymond.

No. It describes Kadri too.

ForSpareParts*

Kadri fanatics,

What should the leafs do with Holland next season and in the future? Can he and Kadri co-exist?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Kadri fanatics,

What should the leafs do with Holland next season and in the future? Can he and Kadri co-exist?

Let's merge them into 1 super being.
Kolland.
Then:
Kessel/Clarkson merge. He's fast, will score, hit and cycle but falls down a lot.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Kadri played tougher minutes than Holland and it's not like Bolland was seeing much tougher minutes either. Interestingly, he was possession positive and was hardly offensively utilised in terms of Ozone starts. This ignores the fact that he produced 50 points this season as well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Robby Fabbri will never be a #1 center as he is far to small.....

We would have 2 small centers playing on our top 2 lines....and Carrick has played more time on the wing than at center for the Marlies this year at least the games that I have watched.

I don't look at size as negative if that player plays big and is strong enough to handle NHL play.

Plenty of examples of NHL players like Doug Gilmour or even more recently Mike Richards, playing bigger than what they are.

Fabbri has the hockey IQ, skill and desire to be an impact player, he is currently 5'10 and 1/4, 170 lbs, he will top off at 5'11, 180-185 lbs. This is sufficient size to play in the NHL.

Gauthier is 6'5 220 lbs
Sam Carrick is 6'0 207lbs
Tyler Bozak is 6'1 195lbs

There is a good blend of size and skill in this group. I agree that having too small a Center group would not be advantageous, however, there is quite alot of diversity of size and talent in this group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad