Mike Augello Grades Our Centres...

ForSpareParts*

...and it looks like Kadri got the 2nd poorest mark. The worst grade was McClement. It should be expected though. Talk about a tale of two seasons. Used to be a difference maker. This year not so much.

Best quote:

"Outlook for 2014-15 - Holland may get a legitimate chance at being a third line center for the Leafs but that will depend on the trickle down effect of Bolland re-signing/leaving and Kadri staying or being moved. "

I'd say that if the leafs move in on negotiating a reasonable contract with Bolland, they'll ship Kadri out:

Bozak
Bolland
Holland
McClement

Link

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike-Augello/Leafs-Report-Card--Centers/120/59652

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Bozak
Bolland
Holland

as our top three centres? YUCK.

We should not trade Nazem and hand out a long term contract to Bolland for playing well for 15 games for us, talk about stupid.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
...and it looks like Kadri get the 2nd poorest mark. The worst grade was McClement. It should be expected though. Talk about a tale of two seasons. Used to be a difference maker. This year not so much.

Best quote:

"Outlook for 2014-15 - Holland may get a legitimate chance at being a third line center for the Leafs but that will depend on the trickle down effect of Bolland re-signing/leaving and Kadri staying or being moved. "

I'd say that if the leafs move in on negotiating a reasonable contract with Bolland, they'll ship Kadri out:

Bozak
Bolland
Holland
McClement

Link

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike-Augello/Leafs-Report-Card--Centers/120/59652

They all need to shift down a level: (if Kadri is gone)
No. 1
Bozak
Bolland
Holland
McClement

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
...and it looks like Kadri get the 2nd poorest mark. The worst grade was McClement. It should be expected though. Talk about a tale of two seasons. Used to be a difference maker. This year not so much.

Best quote:

Bozak
Bolland
Holland
McClement

Link

hes MIKE FROM BUFFALO " andy frost created him ......hes the guy that used to call in with scripted post game synopsis's ...nevrer played the game ,i assume ,he repeats news in his columns ,always a day late on breaking news
perfect for eklund,

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Shipping Kadri out to keep Bolland is something the Leafs would do

Ha yep. Let's overpay the older less skilled guy with significant injury history over our youngest and most skilled center who only has two seasons of NHL experience and has a lower cap hit.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ha yep. Let's overpay the older less skilled guy with significant injury history over our youngest and most skilled center who only has two seasons of NHL experience and has a lower cap hit.

Please let Florida pay Bolland 5+ million and not us.
Then retain 2 million on Clarkson and trade him there. Move out Lupul and we've freed up 11 million even with the 2 retained.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I can't even try to understand some of the fans that actually want to keep Bolland over Kadri.

It's just mind boggling the thought process some people go through.

ForSpareParts*

hes MIKE FROM BUFFALO " andy frost created him ......hes the guy that used to call in with scripted post game synopsis's ...nevrer played the game ,i assume ,he repeats news in his columns ,always a day late on breaking news
perfect for eklund,

And so based on this I'm not supposed to read this, discuss hockey, or have my own opinion?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Best quote:

Bozak
Bolland
Holland
McClement

Link

:shakehead

Dear god :facepalm: What kind of an organization are we dealing with?

ForSpareParts*

I can't even try to understand some of the fans that actually want to keep Bolland over Kadri.

It's just mind boggling the thought process some people go through.

Because a smarter / more defensive player like Bolland is available.

Some of us don't believe this negative hype (created by an agent and the news media) about Bolland's contract demands. They were saying the same things about Bozak and his contract last year.

Also

Bolland is a really good player.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Shipping Kadri out to keep Bolland is something the Leafs would do

It would almost be a foregone conclusion.

If Leafs come anywhere near $5 mil asking price for Bolland to resign him, then he will be the highest paid Leaf center. That means his role and responsibility will not be that of a 3rd line checking center. Grabovski was bought out when his contract deemed too high for his role and responsibility in the bottom 6.

So where would Kadri play in the top 6 if both Bozak and Bolland are signed and paid as your top 2 centers?.

If Kadri were traded to help shore up the team defense then the door is wide open for Holland to secure his position as the teams number 3 center.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Not surprised Re: McClement. The guy was used in a completely different fashion than last year when he found so much success.

A workhorse defensively, but shouldn't be playing 20+mins. I would love to have him back, with some coaching changes that see him utilized properly.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place

If Leafs come anywhere near $5 mil asking price for Bolland to resign him, then he will be the highest paid Leaf center. That means his role and responsibility will not be that of a 3rd line checking center. Grabovski was bought out when his contract deemed too high for his role and responsibility in the bottom 6.

So where would Kadri play in the top 6 if both Bozak and Bolland are signed and paid as your top 2 centers?.

If Kadri were traded to help shore up the team defense then the door is wide open for Holland to secure his position as the teams number 3 center.

That's still exactly how I see this playing out. With a new coach (one that isn't strictly top6/bottom6 like RC) Holland could definitely step in.

I'm sure they'll kick the tires on Bolland pre-UFA, but if Statsny still hasn't been resigned, I'd expect them to end up with either Statsny or Bolland on the 1st day of UFA. Statsny as first choice and then Bolland as a "last resort". He's not ideal as a 2C, as he typically hasn't averaged anywhere close to 18mins/gm when successful, but he and Holland could combine to shoulder the load.

Bozak
Bolland/Statsny
Holland
McClem

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

What core would you prefer?
Right now:
Kessel+Phaneuf+Lupul+Clarkson = 25.5 million.
Add in Bolland and that 30. 5 million.
Or
Stastny(7)+Kessel+Phaneuf+Niskanen(5 same deal as MacDonald in Philly) = 27 million.
Trade Clarkson 2 million retained.
Trade Lupul for Korpikopski @ 2.5 million. Big saving better 2-way.
Now 4 skaters make 5 million or more and the rest make 4 or less.
This core eliminates 2 wingers and gives us a center and another D.

ForSpareParts*

Thank you.

Yes. Holland is here to stay people. He might not be as flashy, but he can produce and play a better defensive game. He's just not build for the 4th line.

Ignoring Holland as a non factor in our attempt to build the centre ice position is futile.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I think the biggest issue RC faced this year was: “Who do I put out against their top line?â€

With Bolland hurt for pretty much the whole year, you’re left with Jay McClement and Tyler Bozak as the only 2 guys you can really rely on. As Bozak already needs to be able to play extra minutes alongside PK/JVR, he can’t really be relied upon to also be the shutdown guy all the time.

The result? Jay McClement getting 20mins. You’re forced to play a line that’s a black hole offensively for 20mins. This just doesn’t work. Adding a guy like Statsny to the 2nd line, gives us the option of a defensively responsible line that can play 15-20mins while putting pucks in the net.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
XXX-Statsny-Kulemin
XXX-Holland-XXX
XXX-McClement-XXX

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Because a smarter / more defensive player like Bolland is available.

Some of us don't believe this negative hype (created by an agent and the news media) about Bolland's contract demands. They were saying the same things about Bozak and his contract last year.

Also

Bolland is a really good player.

Oh?

Why would Chicago who is dying for a second line centre, trade him to Toronto for a couple draft picks?

He's an injury prone 3rd line player, he's never topped 50 points in his career, and he just suffered a major laceration to his leg, any team that hands out a long term contract to this guy will be disappointed.

I like Bolland, but in no way should he be centering our second line. If we hand out anything more than 3 years, I will be very disappointed that the Leafs did not learn from Clarkson that you shouldn't be handing out big contracts to 2nd/3rd line tweeners.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Right now:
Or
Stastny(7)+Kessel+Phaneuf+Niskanen(5 same deal as MacDonald in Philly) = 27 million.
Trade Clarkson 2 million retained.
Trade Lupul for Korpikopski @ 2.5 million. Big saving better 2-way.
Now 4 skaters make 5 million or more and the rest make 4 or less.
This core eliminates 2 wingers and gives us a center and another D.

step away from the playstation slowly..

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
step away from the playstation slowly..

Lol even Xbox couldn't fix the salaries of Lupul,Clarkson and soon to be Bolland. Yikes. Add Phaneuf and there's half the cap. Playstation blew up and your account is out of credits.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Right now:

Bolland at age 28 soon fits in better with the Leafs long-term resigned core group 27-31 of Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul and Clarkson.

I personally would prefer after all these years of non playoff bottom 10 finishes to be setting up our core group < 25.

However if Bolland is resigned and Kadri forced out in trade then its clear that I would prefer is not what is actually transpiring. All these years of fan suffering and bottoming out results to ice a Leafs team core of 25-30 and at top cap $ instead of cheaper ELC and early contracts of drafted and developed young players is opposite to the norm of expectability, but that is the road this current rebuild has taken us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad