Value of: Mikael Sergachev

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
While TBL does need to dump cap, its much more than that. They will need to evaluate where they go from here to improve and that goes further than just finding the money to resign their pending RFAs. Outside of Cernak their entire RHD side is gone via UFA and they could really use a player like Barrie, especially with the Avs being able to retain. He would not only fill a massive need for a elite RHD but would also really help them with their transition game and limit opposing forechecks which CBJ murdered them with, all for possibly only 2.75 AAV.

TBL already has good young forward prospects and picks aren't as useful as they are trying to win now and those assets wouldn't be ready for 2-3 years from now.

Its one reason why its so difficult to find a starting point because TBL will have to figure out what areas of their hockey club they will need to improve and move on from and until we get a better idea on that its difficult to progress. Their need for Dmen and especially RHD is pretty easy to identify but up front its still an unknown which forwards they see as core players and solidified roster spots and where they are looking to improve.

Then you have the Avs side, where they could be interest in Serg, however only if the team has decided to move on from and/or expose him in the ED and Serg would take the 4th dman protection slot. Also if that is the case then will they be using the final forward spot on Miller? If not then how much is it worth acquiring a guy you could very easily lose for nothing in a few years? On top of that the Avs are giving up center prospects and picks they desperately need without filling any major holes which makes no sense, nor does the overall value of the deal.

While I totally get the main idea you went with of giving TBL cap space, it goes much much deeper than that. Hence why I said it seemed more random and vacuum type of deal as there are a lot of issues with it.

That said I think there could be a deal between the two teams as the Avs do have cap space they could leverage should the deal be right.

TB is just a stacked team with little cap space.

Barrie would be a tremendous asset for their RHD, but there is no possibility they can retain him under their cap. Sign and trade with retention might be an option. Maybe dumping a few salaries with Sergachev + Miller + Cap Dump?

I agree the TB situation is complicated on their decision to reload or selloff players to free cap space.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
TB is just a stacked team with little cap space.

Barrie would be a tremendous asset for their RHD, but there is no possibility they can retain him under their cap. Sign and trade with retention might be an option. Maybe dumping a few salaries with Sergachev + Miller + Cap Dump?

I agree the TB situation is complicated on their decision to reload or selloff players to free cap space.

If the are looking to win now, the Avs could retain him for 2.75 AAV. They would never get close to that cost efficiency anywhere else. The main issue I have with this base is that it causes about 5-6ish problems for both teams which makes it complicated to call too realistic as it creates a lot of aftermath for each team to deal with.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
To Tampa
Brodziak
Manning
Lowe

To edm
Serg
Callahan
Foote

I generally don’t know if you are being serious or?!

giphy.gif

Reactions: montreal

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
For the Lightning, Stralman, Coburn, Girardi and Ruuta are all UFAs. I see the belt tightening on defense taking care of itself, and then the Lightning will go out and acquire free-agent defensemen for a reasonable cap hit. Dealing one of their cheaper D this summer is unlikely. Sergachev has another year on his ELC.

There's an abundance of well-compensated players in the TB middle six. They will probably deal players from there to remain cap compliant following the re-signing of their budding superstars. So I'd look at Killorn, Johnson, Miller as candidates. Callahan is a possible cap dump, but I doubt they find a taker for him, so maybe he goes in a buyout.

When teams go about figuring out how to remain under the cap as players get raises, try this: Identify the least interesting and buzz-worthy players on the roster. Start there for your candidates.

Sergachev is a dynamic puck mover and he makes bupkis. So he's not going to be traded until his salary spikes, if even then.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think we keep him one more year and then use his RFA ask as a barometer for whether we give up on him or not. My current feeling is that he's just not a competitor on defense, and I'm not really seeing an improvement year over year. Then again, he's extremely young for his position.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
My bold prediction of the summer is he gets dealt. Coaching staff is not playing him on the right side and he is buried on the left. He does not make sense on the roster

Jets would likely have interest

Reactions: mondo3

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sergachev just needs a coach who will play him to his strengths which Cooper doesn't do. He has defensive issues but he's still young and can fix that, let him roam the ice like Karlsson and he'd be a top 10 point producing for defenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad