Value of: Mikael Sergachev

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
With what cap space will you sign Rantanen after that trade?

AVs barely made the minimum Cap Space and used the available space to sign some UFAs or add cheaper assets in trades. Next season they will have more than $32M+ available.

For example, AVs traded for WAS - Grubs + Orpik (bought out) for a 2nd round pick. A possible cap circumvention, Orpik had a $5.5M Cap Hit. AVs absorbed the contract in a buyout to allow a return to the Caps for $1.5M.

TB could include Cap Dumps in exchange for a lower price on players the AVs want.

Reactions: Meeqs

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Would do Brodin + 2nd. Brodin would give you an absolute Lockdown top 4 defensmen that you’d play on the 3rd pair. There would be no way to match up with your defense.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
IF he is on the market I believe the Jets will be interested in a Trouba deal if they can’t sign him long term. Probably a few picks get added in to even it up. In looking at your cap situation you would have to get the scalpel out to make it work though.
Sounds like Trouba wants either 7 x 7.5 or 7 x 8 Tampa can't afford Trouba right now. Not without moving some expensive pieces here.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
I don’t hate the Juulsen + 2nd for Sergachev + Callahan. For me, it’s a yes

I wouldn’t do it Callahan will have a year left next season and would either be brought out or traded on he’s own. While I like Juulsen I feel like a lot of teams could offer better.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I wouldn’t do it Callahan will have a year left next season and would either be brought out or traded on he’s own. While I like Juulsen I feel like a lot of teams could offer better.

That’s fair. I personally don’t think he can be traded unless a great incentive is attached to him. Also, is buying him out the best option? I’m sure Tampa will need that 2.66M next year and the 1.56M the year after. I would attach a first or a very good prospect along with callahan just to free up that cap space. 2.66M can literally be the difference between keeping or trading Point.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i just dont see it.
TBL likely losing Stralman, Girardi, Coburn as UFAs. Rutta can walk too.
That's a lot of turnover for a contender's D corps

Sergachaev is still really young (not yet 21), has these couple years of experience, and has shown he can contribute.

They have Foote and Spencer in the prospect queue on the Right side,
and can easily add a depth defender or 2, as they added Rutta this year, for reasonable cost

Reactions: Meeqs

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
My bold prediction of the summer is he gets dealt. Coaching staff is not playing him on the right side and he is buried on the left. He does not make sense on the roster

TBL is losing half of their defense and will be pretty tight with the Cap. I don't see any chance they are moving a guy who will be top 4 for them next year when it would just create a hole they would need to fill anyways.

Like I totally see TBL making some changes but this isn't one of them.

Reactions: Tripod

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Kinda funny how both players have been disappointments this season

Dmen usually take a lot of time to truly develop. The average age for them to really hit their stride is usually 24. Its not like TBL is a normal defense either, they could afford to be patient with him. There is a big difference between a young developing Dman on a stacked team and a guy who disappeared for the last 20 games of the year and cost his team a playoff run.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
My bold prediction of the summer is he gets dealt. Coaching staff is not playing him on the right side and he is buried on the left. He does not make sense on the roster

I think the same thing. He hasn't taken much of a step forward, it's a chance for them to sell high on him if they don't think he will progress close to his potential.

What I think we will see is something like Sergachev+Callahan for a high 2nd and a future 2nd. Similar to CHI dealing Teravainen and Bickell to CAR for a discount of picks.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
TBL is losing half of their defense and will be pretty tight with the Cap. I don't see any chance they are moving a guy who will be top 4 for them next year when it would just create a hole they would need to fill anyways.

Like I totally see TBL making some changes but this isn't one of them.

You would think that is the case, but when the chips were on the table in the playoffs and the team needed help on the right side, the coaching staff went with Rutta and not Sergachev. Rutta is a fringe NHLer for those who don't know.

I don't agree with how the coaching staff overvalues handedness, but it's an inescapable fact that it continues to dominate how they evaluate the roster.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I've been high on him since his draft and wanted him for the AVs. TB is more likely to package him in a deal due to their cap problems and suspect JT Miller could be part of a larger deal to clear Cap Space. A salary dump could be included as well.

AVs might be interested and need another LHD. It'll depend on the 2019 Draft and if Byram is selected.

Sergachev
Miller
Callahan (cap dump)

For

2020-1st
2019-2nd (47th)
Kerfoot
Kamenev
Bowers

So the Avs gut their center depth which is the biggest area of need to add onto a dcore that is already their biggest strength. I don't see it.

I could see the Avs taking Miller for cheap should TBL want to lose some cap and I actually could see them maybe being interested in Serg (as they have been in the past) however outside of Barrie idk what TBL is really looking for atm (as I don't think anyone really does). Until we have a pretty solid idea of what TBL wants to do though I don't see much of a starting point to have an actual discussion as the Avs are pretty set holding put with the great position they are in.

This trade though seems more like a random assortment of vaccum value proposals rather than taking into account each teams needs.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
You would think that is the case, but when the chips were on the table in the playoffs and the team needed help on the right side, the coaching staff went with Rutta and not Sergachev. Rutta is a fringe NHLer for those who don't know.

I don't agree with how the coaching staff overvalues handedness, but it's an inescapable fact that it continues to dominate how they evaluate the roster.

Idk man, I think most coaches now adays correctly values keeping players on their proper side as the game is really far too fast now adays to play guys on their offside. I think a few years ago that may have been a discussion but now its a pretty big deal.

Especially with how much TBL struggled with CBJs forecheck already moving guys to their non dominant hand would likely only make that worse.

Maybe if there was a team with a top 4 dman that they would swap for Serg a deal could be had there should they feel they wont be able to resign him that could make sense. However I feel like some other issues need to be sorted out first.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
That’s fair. I personally don’t think he can be traded unless a great incentive is attached to him. Also, is buying him out the best option? I’m sure Tampa will need that 2.66M next year and the 1.56M the year after. I would attach a first or a very good prospect along with callahan just to free up that cap space. 2.66M can literally be the difference between keeping or trading Point.

I don’t think whatever happens during the off season is going to affect point getting hes deal. Even Callahan can stay and we would still be ok for the year. I think it would be more of a insurance than anything. Sergachev still has a High ceiling would be stupid to lower the return just for one year of Callahan.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
So the Avs gut their center depth which is the biggest area of need to add onto a dcore that is already their biggest strength. I don't see it.

I could see the Avs taking Miller for cheap should TBL want to lose some cap and I actually could see them maybe being interested in Serg (as they have been in the past) however outside of Barrie idk what TBL is really looking for atm (as I don't think anyone really does). Until we have a pretty solid idea of what TBL wants to do though I don't see much of a starting point to have an actual discussion as the Avs are pretty set holding put with the great position they are in.

This trade though seems more like a random assortment of vaccum value proposals rather than taking into account each teams needs.

TB biggest need is Cap Space. Proposal of young cheap contracts with potential + picks + cap dumps helps them more than offering someone like Barrie.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I don’t think whatever happens during the off season is going to affect point getting hes deal. Even Callahan can stay and we would still be ok for the year. I think it would be more of a insurance than anything. Sergachev still has a High ceiling would be stupid to lower the return just for one year of Callahan.
Not sure about that... someone will have to go. You have 4 defenseman signed for next year, so you need an extra 3. You need to sign Paquette, Erne & Point. You have 73 M$ already committed. Point will get 8+ M$ minimum. Salary cap is expected to be 83 M, that would leave (best case scenario) 2M$ for 5 players. Even buying Callahan's contract only gives you 3.2M relief for this season which isn't bad, but then you have another 1.6M for him the following year when Vasilievski, Cernak, Sergachev, Cirelli and Joseph are RFAs...

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
TB biggest need is Cap Space. Proposal of young cheap contracts with potential + picks + cap dumps helps them more than offering someone like Barrie.

While TBL does need to dump cap, its much more than that. They will need to evaluate where they go from here to improve and that goes further than just finding the money to resign their pending RFAs. Outside of Cernak their entire RHD side is gone via UFA and they could really use a player like Barrie, especially with the Avs being able to retain. He would not only fill a massive need for a elite RHD but would also really help them with their transition game and limit opposing forechecks which CBJ murdered them with, all for possibly only 2.75 AAV.

TBL already has good young forward prospects and picks aren't as useful as they are trying to win now and those assets wouldn't be ready for 2-3 years from now.

Its one reason why its so difficult to find a starting point because TBL will have to figure out what areas of their hockey club they will need to improve and move on from and until we get a better idea on that its difficult to progress. Their need for Dmen and especially RHD is pretty easy to identify but up front its still an unknown which forwards they see as core players and solidified roster spots and where they are looking to improve.

Then you have the Avs side, where they could be interest in Serg, however only if the team has decided to move on from and/or expose him in the ED and Serg would take the 4th dman protection slot. Also if that is the case then will they be using the final forward spot on Miller? If not then how much is it worth acquiring a guy you could very easily lose for nothing in a few years? On top of that the Avs are giving up center prospects and picks they desperately need without filling any major holes which makes no sense, nor does the overall value of the deal.

While I totally get the main idea you went with of giving TBL cap space, it goes much much deeper than that. Hence why I said it seemed more random and vacuum type of deal as there are a lot of issues with it.

That said I think there could be a deal between the two teams as the Avs do have cap space they could leverage should the deal be right.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Stupid thread. Sergachev has been great and isn't going to be traded. Can't believe we got him for ****ing Drouin.

When does Sergachev turn into the top 4D guy he is suppose to be? I have faith in him but seems to me Hedman and McDonagh are signed long term and Sergachev has to play RD which you tried several times this year and kept moving him back to bottom pairing LD.

Might be smart move to package him with Callahan and get a young equal age on a cheap ELC at RD. Addresses two issues. Cap space and you get RD piece you need.

I don't believe Tampa is going to trade Sergachev just to get rid of him. That I agree is stupid. But they could trade him to address a bigger need which is RD. Unless you think he can play a top 4 RD position down the road?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad