Prospect Info: Mikael Granlund V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
The video of Granlund's shootout goal is on Mtv3's site right now.. Didn't take them too long :D

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't really think we'll see Granlund on Parise and Koivu's wing because Yeo doesn't like to play left hand shots on the right wing.

Think of the line combos we've had...

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Cullen-Granlund-Setoguchi
Bouchard-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell
Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Zucker-Cullen-Setoguchi
Bouchard-Cullen-Setoguchi
Heatley-Brodziak-Clutterbuck

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
I don't really think we'll see Granlund on Parise and Koivu's wing because Yeo doesn't like to play left hand shots on the right wing.

I questioned MiG on RW as a left hand shot but other posters said that he played it frequently in Finn.

Coyle being a right hand shot was given as a reason for Coyle getting that spot and not Larrson.

But Yeo will go with left shooting RW's - Heatley's a LH shot, I believe.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Man that was a filthy little goal! The goalie even played him pretty well too...

I do look forward to the day when MIG will find his home on our team. I still believe he will be a very good player for us, and just needs the right opportunity.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I don't advocate it at all due to the shortened season, our fragile place atop the NW, the fact that the lines are clicking now, etc, but it would be interesting to see if Granlund could be productively slotted in on the Second with Cully and Seto...those two have had success with two other players with different skillsets now that they're synced up and I have a feeling anyone with an appropriate level of skill could benefit from playing there.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Next year seeing Granlund with Seto & Cullen could be interesting.

I would really like to see Granlund given a shot at wing for a bit. I know he's supposed to be our next great center and all that crap, but maybe for the first year wean him into the NHL on wing and just go from there.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Butch is a UFA to be and will most likely be traded or not re-signed.

In Granlund you have a kid that can do most of what Butch did, but who has captained his national junior team, and had some international success. which Butch never did, granted we are talking 5 million vs. 33 million population of their respective countries.

I don't want to question Butch's heart, because he has been through the grinder, but i think Granlund has qualities that will allow him to more than amply fill Bouchard's role on the team.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Next year should be Zucker-Granlund-Setoguchi.

Granlund will only come back up if Koivu/Cullen/Brodziak are injured.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Here's an interesting interview/article of Granlund. (Finnish)

I can translate it roughly and briefly:

"- Time to time it was hard (for me) as I was send up and down and I never knew where I was gonna play. A big learning experience and it surely will help heading next season.

- Lots of new information. There's many new in game situations, less room to make plays. The NHL is the best league in the world, plenty of learning to do. Now I know what I must train during the summer.

- It's not an easy task to be put in different teams and lines. You've always got to be ready for next game.

- I knew it wasn't going to be a ride in the park and there were many new things (for me). I'm sure I can prepare myself better for upcoming season. I didn't expect the game to be so different.

- There's much to improve what comes to physique. Battling there is a big thing. Got to be more prepared for it if I want to play there."

Other Finns, feel free to add in/correct if you want to.

Made me feel a bit more at ease about his development but last season showed still he's got lots of learning to do, like he mentioned. He didn't mention is anything about his skating, that worries me. I think that's his biggest issue.

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The only way he can have success without improving his skating is if he gets REALLY good at reading plays and can manage to always put himself in the best positions anticipating where the puck will be vs reacting to it.

Really, this is a make or break summer for Granlund. He's old and experienced enough he should be having success now, but for some reason he didn't. If he can't show anything next year, he'll be an extremely long shot to be a top six forward in the NHL.

P10p

May 15, 2012
When he was on and feeling the game, which was rarely last year, his skating wasn't much of a problem. He just doesn't seem to realize you have to ALWAYS keep your feet moving.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Honestly from what I saw of MiG and I could be very wrong here, his skating isn't an issue, what I think was an issue is he'd stop moving his feet and glide. I think if he just keeps taking his strides he'll be fine. No he won't have that extra gear or acceleration like Zucker of that Awe inducing stride Brodin has, but its not like he'll be Bruno.

Maybe in training camp to explore every option our amazing coach can try Coyle at center.

With another Right shot player we can have a L C R line for top 6

Parise Koivu Seto

MiG Coyle PomPom (Pominville brings the experience and stabilization to this line, he's a more complete player then Seto and it gives Coyle and MiG some room to make mistakes.

3rd/4th lines what ever.

This way MiG can be tried at Wing, if he doesn't work at Center.

And honestly tell me that Coyle isn't built to be an excellent NHL center, he's big, he stakes so well, he's strong and he has hands. He'd be a great top 6 center to groom. Basically the way i see Coyle is a better Mikko Koivu (he's got all the tools Koivu does but is stronger, and skates about 3 times faster while still being strong on skates)

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Honestly from what I saw of MiG and I could be very wrong here, his skating isn't an issue, what I think was an issue is he'd stop moving his feet and glide. I think if he just keeps taking his strides he'll be fine. No he won't have that extra gear or acceleration like Zucker of that Awe inducing stride Brodin has, but its not like he'll be Bruno.

Maybe in training camp to explore every option our amazing coach can try Coyle at center.

With another Right shot player we can have a L C R line for top 6

Parise Koivu Seto

MiG Coyle PomPom (Pominville brings the experience and stabilization to this line, he's a more complete player then Seto and it gives Coyle and MiG some room to make mistakes.

3rd/4th lines what ever.

This way MiG can be tried at Wing, if he doesn't work at Center.

And honestly tell me that Coyle isn't built to be an excellent NHL center, he's big, he stakes so well, he's strong and he has hands. He'd be a great top 6 center to groom. Basically the way i see Coyle is a better Mikko Koivu (he's got all the tools Koivu does but is stronger, and skates about 3 times faster while still being strong on skates)

I agree. He could be a great 2nd line center. Something like a Ryan Kesler. Great defensively but also strong and able to chip in offensively. I would love to see that but it seems management want him on the wing. Who knows what happens this summer, we might just see them put him there next year when Cullen leaves.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't think Coyle is dramatically faster than Koivu. I don't think he's got the hands of Koivu and to be seen about the hockey IQ but he's already got a better shot. He'd be very similar at the center position, which given what we've seen from Koivu, not sure is what we want.

Koivu ~ 15-20 goals 65-70 points
Coyle ~ 20-25 goals 55-60 points

Or at wing ~ 25-30 goals 50-55 points

I just think though Granlund and Coyle could be a real nice pairing out there.

Maybe something like:

Granlund - Koivu - Coyle
Parise - Cullen - Pominville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad