Prospect Info: Mikael Granlund V

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Granlund has never scored more than 20 goals playing in the minors, remember this guys. He is a very talented player but he looks like he is going to turn into Bouchard 2.0 and not a 1C. Of course I want him to excel but he's a gamble..

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Granlund has never scored more than 20 goals playing in the minors, remember this guys.

Out of all the arguments you could've chosen, that's... something. At SM-liiga level 20 goals in 45 games is elite pace and a lot more than you can expect from a player with an extreme pass-first mentality. Hell, even in AHL he was on pace for 26 goals while adjusting to NA hockey. Is he small? Yes. Is he a mediocre skater for his size? Yes. Has he had problems adjusting to NHL? Yes. Is he surefire NHL star or even player? No. But is his goal scoring at lower levels any kind of sign of his future success/lack of it? No.

I wish people showed some patience before all the "Granlund will never be a center in the NHL" talks. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but one injury riddled season without training camp is not enough to make conclusions one way or another.

Billy Mays Here*

I don't even expect him to produce much at the NHL level next season. Give him lots of playing time in Iowa (feels weird saying that instead of Houston) and hope he progresses. I have no problem with Cullen as the 2nd line center again if he can play anywhere close to the way he did this season when he was healthy. Yet again I will use the Kadri comparison. Kadri wasn't great right off the bat, it took him a couple years to get the hang of it. I don't think Toronto is regretting having been patient with him based on the way he played this season.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Out of all the arguments you could've chosen, that's... something. At SM-liiga level 20 goals in 45 games is elite pace and a lot more than you can expect from a player with an extreme pass-first mentality. Hell, even in AHL he was on pace for 26 goals while adjusting to NA hockey. Is he small? Yes. Is he a mediocre skater for his size? Yes. Has he had problems adjusting to NHL? Yes. Is he surefire NHL star or even player? No. But is his goal scoring at lower levels any kind of sign of his future success/lack of it? No.

I wish people showed some patience before all the "Granlund will never be a center in the NHL" talks. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but one injury riddled season without training camp is not enough to make conclusions one way or another.

Of course I want him to be successful, and I do understand that he played less games over there. Hes just a gamble. He can be a very good NHL player, or the complete opposite. That's what you get with prospects.

Anyways, I still think Seto needs to go. We could improve so much with moving him, he's still got a good trade value.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Comparing Kadri and FBJ should make people start thinking positive again..

Give the dude time!

We havent given up on Granlund.

He was in North America this winter,,,we know what he is know and what he isnt.

Just let him play and train would be my advice to some finnish posters who cant seem to not help themselves and continue to try and promote/sell him.

Always best to undersell and overperform then oversell and underperform.

We will see him in the fall, until then shhhhhhh, lol !

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I don't understand why people keep thinking we have given up on Granlund.

I think three things worked against him this year

1: Pimping ain't easy, I think when GMCF and Yeo and EVERYONE was pegging him to be a number 2 center day one was unfair, I think what should have been said all along SPECIALLY given the lockout was "Spot #2 up for grabs"

2: The line he played on wasn't really catered to shelter him and ease him into the role of #2 center on a team facing the pressure (OWNER), you had Streaky Seto, he didn't have a steady vet to ground him.

3: Slow start by the whole damn team which lead to him playing musical chairs.

He'll be fine, people need to back off on him, if he spends next year in Iowa, then plays 10-14 years of top 6 NHL play that will be a success.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
As I've said before, I'd be a little surprised if he wasn't sent down after training camp this fall, but I'm not counting him out for good.

I still think everyone here should be proud of what he's bringing to a very marginally talented Team Finland right now. The level of competition in the tournament is low this year, much lower than last year for example, but when a 21-year-old is one of the few guys on the team that shows accountability, pride and professionalism during a game when everyone else (including everyone with a letter) is practically mailing it in, there's a reason to feel good.

bear1

Mar 3, 2011
The Wild put a lot of pressure on this kid with all the hype I don't think many could have lived up to it was a stupid move. I would hope the pressure is off and the kid and he can find his way its too early to call him a bust.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Shouldn't we be more worried about the guy who was drafted 30 spots after MG, ie Mr. Bulmer? 9 points in 49 AHL games over 2 seasons?

Granlund has at least shown flashes, and it's not like he was was over-hyped until AFTER the Wild picked him. He wasn't a top 5 pick either.

Butch leaves this off-season, and has been a useful player for his career. His replacement comes in at a much lower salary, and perhaps a higher upside.

What is the problem here?

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Granlund is reminding me a lot of a guy named Christian Matte. A Stud at lower levels, a Dud in the NHL. Small and slow isn't a good resume for success in the NHL

The WC's are a joke compared to the NHL; a tournament for some guys from loser teams who haven't had enough hockey who want to keep playing...

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's...odd that the kid can have such great success at anything outside of playing for Yeo.

Sorry Jarick I think you had a spelling error there, I fixed it for you

I agree. Yeo screwed up by playing MiG in the #2 Center spot WAY too long early in the year instead of keeping him on the bench until the ticket to Houston came through. All Yeo's fault!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad