Prospect Info: Mikael Granlund V

Status
Not open for further replies.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I don't think Coyle is dramatically faster than Koivu. I don't think he's got the hands of Koivu and to be seen about the hockey IQ but he's already got a better shot. He'd be very similar at the center position, which given what we've seen from Koivu, not sure is what we want.

Koivu ~ 15-20 goals 65-70 points
Coyle ~ 20-25 goals 55-60 points

Or at wing ~ 25-30 goals 50-55 points

I just think though Granlund and Coyle could be a real nice pairing out there.

Maybe something like:

Granlund - Koivu - Coyle
Parise - Cullen - Pominville

Would be superb. Or if GMCF could get Weiss or Filppula to put on the first line. That way you could roll 3 lines that bring scoring threat.

Weiss/Filppula/Granlund-Koivu-Coyle

Parise-Cullen-Pomiville

Zucker-Mitchell/Brodz(?)-Seto(?)

x-Konopka-Rupp

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland

Maybe something like:

Granlund - Koivu - Coyle

This looks... brilliant, actually. Can we email Yeo? Granlund and Coyle have great chemistry, as do Granlund and Koivu. First line would have plenty of physical presence (Coyle & Koivu) along with creative, unpredictable offensive catalyst in Granlund. I really want to see this on the ice now.

edit: This could also leave a third line of Zucker-Mitchell-Setoguchi, which would be a real speed demon line. Put Brodziak on the 4th line and we could really roll four lines this year.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
This looks... brilliant, actually. Can we email Yeo? Granlund and Coyle have great chemistry, as do Granlund and Koivu. First line would have plenty of physical presence (Coyle & Koivu) along with creative, unpredictable offensive catalyst in Granlund. I really want to see this on the ice now.

I wouldn't mind seeing that either. But I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

edit: This could also leave a third line of Zucker-Mitchell-Setoguchi, which would be a real speed demon line. Put Brodziak on the 4th line and we could really roll four lines this year.

agreed. someone find his email

OpRedDawn*

On the lines of

Granlund - Koivu - Coyle

I don't mind the second, but that top line would never score. It doesn't have a shooter. If anything, I'd put Poms on that top line, put Seto back on Cullen's wing, and put Coyle on the third

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
On the lines of

Granlund - Koivu - Coyle

I don't mind the second, but that top line would never score. It doesn't have a shooter. If anything, I'd put Poms on that top line, put Seto back on Cullen's wing, and put Coyle on the third

It doesn't have a pure shooter type, true, but both Granlund and Coyle can finish around the net. Low number of shots could become a problem, but I've found Granlund to be more aggressive and initiative on the wing so he could step up as a goal scorer too. He has done that before (20 goals in 45 games in his last SM-liiga season).

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
In his last 9 AHL games, he had 1 goal and that was when the goalie was pulled and we had an extra attacker.
He played big minutes in those games and 1st power play.

Not sure why people STILL want to promote him as a 1st line player at the NHL level, next year.

He like other young players needs more seasoning, other young players are trending up as the year progressed, Granlund was trending downward.

He needs more seasoning at the minor pro level, pure and simple.

Dont blame Yeo, Fletcher or Torch--he simply has to get better. Its up to him, time to man-up.

I have confidence he will Q!

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
I have a feeling Yeo will start the season with Brodziak on the first line cause they are such butt buddies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I don't think Coyle is dramatically faster than Koivu. I don't think he's got the hands of Koivu and to be seen about the hockey IQ but he's already got a better shot. He'd be very similar at the center position, which given what we've seen from Koivu, not sure is what we want.

Koivu ~ 15-20 goals 65-70 points
Coyle ~ 20-25 goals 55-60 points

Or at wing ~ 25-30 goals 50-55 points

Maybe something like:

Granlund - Koivu - Coyle

This is like one of those lightbulb moments you see in cartoons.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
There another hidden plus (which someone else already mentioned):

Zucker - Mitchell - Seto

Not only the fact that everyone on that line is a god damn rocket, but Mitch and Seto are well known BFF, and both can play physical if required. Zucker will add even more speed and goal scoring on that line.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Granlund will play his first game of '13 WHC against Latvia tonight at 8:15 PM EET (12:15 PM CST) if anyone is interested.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Granlund just scored with a nice wrister on the PP. He seemed surprised nobody came at him like in the NHL :laugh:

He seems stronger and faster than he did in Finland - you really see it when he's playing on the big ice. He's played well so far.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Honestly, as some posters have already said, I think Granlund is faster than people think. Thing is that he needs to keep moving his feet.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
In his last 9 AHL games, he had 1 goal and that was when the goalie was pulled and we had an extra attacker.
He played big minutes in those games and 1st power play.

Not sure why people STILL want to promote him as a 1st line player at the NHL level, next year.

He like other young players needs more seasoning, other young players are trending up as the year progressed, Granlund was trending downward.

He needs more seasoning at the minor pro level, pure and simple.

Dont blame Yeo, Fletcher or Torch--he simply has to get better. Its up to him, time to man-up.

I have confidence he will Q!

I'm actually not convinced it's just a matter of more seasoning. He's got the talent, he's putting on size and speed, and he's already 21. In fact IIRC he looked like he was playing head-and-shoulders above the AHL level during the lockout, and his struggles really only showed up after his injury. I'd be more worried about rebuilding his confidence than seasoning, and I think some time at the NHL level––and none of this healthy scratch/fourth line garbage that Yeo threw at him––might be a better plan, particularly now that he can get a full NHL training camp in to really solidify those lines.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Granlund was chosen best player of the game for Finland.

Some more Granlund stats from the game:

TOI 16:46
4 SOG
62.5% FO (10W/6L)
Successful passes 20/26

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Granlund was also switched to the 2nd line during the game, didn't notice exactly when but at least he played in the 3rd between Korpikoski and Salminen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad