Prospect Info: Mikael Granlund V

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Thank you! Wondering if I was crazy. At this point he looks like PMB's smaller, weaker, less skilled, brother. A boy amongst men at this point. OTOH, Brodin looks like the Wild's best D man.

How can the evaluators get it this wrong? I was led to believe that Granlund was something special, and that Brodin might not be a top four D man.

Are you serious right now? Did you watch the game? :laugh:

Jesus. Two nights ago he was able to go one on four and bring it into the offensive zone and give a great pass up to Suter, who managed to fumble with it but got the shot off. Did you miss that?

Or did you miss MiG going deep into the corner last night and get the puck out from one of the 'Nucks defenders and give Seto a great pass that allowed him to get that top cheddar goal?

Or did you somehow not see him hit Edler on the backcheck, separate him from the puck, and get a shot in while being the only Wild player in the offensive zone while everyone else was going for a change?

Or how about the fact that he was 9 out of 12 in the faceoff dot? He was fantastic last night and I cannot honestly see how anyone could see that in a different way?

Unless you're one of our many Finnish brethren who overhyped him(sorry guys, but some of you really did) by saying he'd get 50-60 points in the NHL this year, I honestly do not see how anyone can be disappointed with his play the last few games. He is a rookie in the National Hockey League. I don't care who they are, rookies take time to adjust.

:shakehead

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
He was fantastic last night and I cannot honestly see how anyone could see that in a different way?

Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying he was fantastic (I've actually seen him play much better) but he's been solid for the past 3 games including the game he played wing. I'd still rather see him playing wing because that'd raise his offensive production on another level (at least I firmly believe it would) but if Yeo feels he has to be 2nd line center...

Anyway, MiG's play has been encouraging in many ways. He's made spot on adjustments with his skating and body use, other stuff will come around later.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I think Granny hates Heatley and has been purposely sandbagging it and pretending to fall over when touched just so there is no chance his line can score. Gotta have a good game every now and then, though, or get traded immediately.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Just watched the game. This game was solid, but not as good as the two games before it, thought physically this was the best game. Overall process looks good and promising. Would've deserved 3-6 points in last three games but was very unlucky with no one finding the net, now having 1 point. More points are coming if he continues this way or better.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Or did you miss MiG going deep into the corner last night and get the puck out from one of the 'Nucks defenders and give Seto a great pass that allowed him to get that top cheddar goal?

The play went more like this:

-Granlund has the puck and tries to gain the zone, but he turns it over as he got squeezed hard into the boards. Instead of maintaining puck control by eluding the checker, or being able to rim it around the boards to play keep away, it's a dribbling puck into the corner where Garrison has a great opportunity to clear. This is where Granlund physical limitations should have cost us the opportunity.

-Granny doesn't give up though and checks a hesitant Garrison as he tries to clear.

-Garrison fails to move the puck, and since Granlund separated him from the puck, Cullen picks it up and deals to Setoguchi, who makes a pretty move to score.

Bottom line: Granlund had effort, but Garrison's poor play did more to make that goal that Granlund's good play did.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010

-Granlund has the puck and tries to gain the zone, but he turns it over as he got squeezed hard into the boards. Instead of maintaining puck control by eluding the checker, or being able to rim it around the boards to play keep away, it's a dribbling puck into the corner where Garrison has a great opportunity to clear. This is where Granlund physical limitations should have cost us the opportunity.

-Granny doesn't give up though and checks a hesitant Garrison as he tries to clear.

-Garrison fails to move the puck, and since Granlund separated him from the puck, Cullen picks it up and deals to Setoguchi, who makes a pretty move to score.

Bottom line: Granlund had effort, but Garrison's poor play did more to make that goal that Granlund's good play did.

The play went even more like this:

-Granlund get checked and loses the puck as he was going close to full speed and it's not uncommon for a player to lose the puck.

-Granlund's determination got him to Garrison, cause Garrison to panic.

-Granlund's use of the body forces the puck away from Garrison allowing it to go to Cullen and the rest is history.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
The play went even more like this:

-Granlund get checked and loses the puck as he was going close to full speed and it's not uncommon for a player to lose the puck.

-Granlund's determination got him to Garrison, cause Garrison to panic.

-Granlund's use of the body forces the puck away from Garrison allowing it to go to Cullen and the rest is history.

I agree it went something like that. Garrison saw number 64 storming at him and he immediately shat his pants.. the rest is history.

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
Are you serious right now? Did you watch the game? :laugh:

Jesus. Two nights ago he was able to go one on four and bring it into the offensive zone and give a great pass up to Suter, who managed to fumble with it but got the shot off. Did you miss that?

Or did you somehow not see him hit Edler on the backcheck, separate him from the puck, and get a shot in while being the only Wild player in the offensive zone while everyone else was going for a change?

Or how about the fact that he was 9 out of 12 in the faceoff dot? He was fantastic last night and I cannot honestly see how anyone could see that in a different way?

Unless you're one of our many Finnish brethren who overhyped him(sorry guys, but some of you really did) by saying he'd get 50-60 points in the NHL this year, I honestly do not see how anyone can be disappointed with his play the last few games. He is a rookie in the National Hockey League. I don't care who they are, rookies take time to adjust.

:shakehead

Great post! Agreed 100%.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Or to paraphrase:

"Must... resist... saying... anything... good... about... Wild... player..."

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

:handclap:

Because Garrison thought "you know what, I've been doing good plays recently, lets switch things up a little, just to see what happens!"

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Me too.

Granlund has shown to be good on the wing, I can't believe it hasn't even been tried yet.

Koivu and Granlund have already played together in the WC's, why the hell are they not given a chance at least?

because theyre tanking, it's obvious

Ville231

Dec 7, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Its almost funny to see how different emotions this kid creates. :D

Granlund has been improving, but I think the final breakthrough will come next year. He's going to be a star.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I never knew he had such a big impact on our peewee hockey players. I knew he was big in Finland overall but oh boy is he big in for hockey players aged from 6 to 12. I work as an assitant teacher and I see these kids everyday and I always ask them who's their favorite player and stuff; Granlund is in every single one's top3. These guys actually watch these games too, LIVE(!). On weekends they go extra early to bed and wake up at 3-5 am. He's a really great role model for these kids. There was nothing like this when I was at their age.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I never knew he had such a big impact on our peewee hockey players. I knew he was big in Finland overall but oh boy is he big in for hockey players aged from 6 to 12. I work as an assitant teacher and I see these kids everyday and I always ask them who's their favorite player and stuff; Granlund is in every single one's top3. These guys actually watch these games too, LIVE(!). On weekends they go extra early to bed and wake up at 3-5 am. He's a really great role model for these kids. There was nothing like this when I was at their age.
Talking about role models.. Wäynö Waynö.. offis bakom kassen, it must be waynö

Anyway, when I was kid..... The biggest favourite ofc: Tea MooooOo! Yeah.. nuf said.. those were the days.. wait.. they days are still going on! Tea moo!! On fire again! :nod:

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
ESPN.com: NHL [Print without images]

Monday, February 11, 2013
Updated: February 12, 10:41 AM ET
Rookie Rankings: Conacher on top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Grant Sonier
ESPN Insider

The 2013 NHL Calder Trophy race continues to be a hotly debated topic in the NHL, but statistically speaking, the top rookie of the year candidates have finally slowed down. Out of the gates, forwards such as Tampa Bay's Cory Conacher and St. Louis' Vladimir Tarasenko took the league by storm, but even they have slowed (in terms of scoring), as opposing teams are increasingly paying attention to this season's top rookies.

Here's the Calder Trophy race update as of Tuesday, Feb. 12, based on my own viewing of their performances, as well as my talking with contacts within the game.

1. Cory Conacher, forward, Tampa Bay Lightning
Previous rank: No. 1

Following Sunday's game against the New York Rangers in which the Lightning lost 5-1, Tampa Bay has lost four in a row and this year's Calder Trophy race leader was quiet like most of his teammates. Conacher's offensive numbers are still impressive, as he leads all rookies with 12 points in 11 games, including two game-winning goals. One Western Conference Scout who was at the Lighting-Rangers game said Conacher's play is the least of Tampa's problems, and that overall the team is playing flat. The 5-foot-8 forward continues to play with high-end energy, something the entire roster better start doing as losing streaks in a shortened season could prove deadly.

2. Vladimir Tarasenko, forward, St. Louis Blues
Previous rank: No. 2

The Blues found themselves on the end of coach Ken Hitchcock's latest rant after back-to-back poor performances, and you have to wonder how young players respond to such a public tongue lashing. The Blues have now lost five straight, with only one of those coming in a shootout. Like many of the top rookies, the Russian winger has cooled offensively after a torrid start to the season, but his dynamic skills and one-on-one play always make him dangerous.

3. Justin Schultz, defenseman, Edmonton Oilers
Previous rank: No. 3

Averaging more than 23 minutes a game and anchoring an NHL power play as a rookie is a tall order, but that is what this smooth-skating offensive D-man continues to do for the Oilers. He has played in 12 games with a total of four goals and three assists, with all four goals coming on the power play. He leads all rookies in shots with 32. ESPN's Craig Custance recently had a chance to talk with teammate Devan Dubnyk about the young rookie. "He gets the puck and can move it up so quickly," Dubnyk said. "That ability to move the puck and to jump up, I think, has an effect on the entire ice."

4. Dougie Hamilton, defenseman, Boston Bruins
Previous rank: No. 4

Quietly going about his business as if he has played in the NHL for the past 10 season seems to be the norm for the big blueliner. Hamilton continues to play the game with intelligence and ease, while displaying great range, skating and decision-making. It's only a matter of time before he scores his first NHL goal. He is currently stuck at four assists after 10 games played, but the Bruins have no concerns offensively while he continues to eat minutes (18:46 ATOI).

5. Nail Yakupov, forward, Edmonton Oilers
Previous rank: No. 5

Tied for the most goals scored by a rookie (5), Yakupov continues with his usual flare for the dramatic. In a recent game against the Detroit Red Wings, he was assessed his first unsportsmanlike minor, which led to veteran teammate Ryan Smyth coming to his aid and receiving a 10-minute misconduct on the same stoppage. Playing on a line with former No. 1 overall pick Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle, Yakupov and his linemates are exciting fans around the league with creativity and skillful play. "[Yakupov's] explosiveness with and without the puck makes things happen for Edmonton, and defenders are often lost in body position, which is very impressive," said a high-ranking executive who recently watched Edmonton play.

6. Alex Galchenyuk, forward, Montreal Canadiens
Previous rank: No. 6

Last week was not one the Habs will want to dwell on after letting a game slip away against Buffalo (which they led 4-2) and suffering a 6-0 loss to Toronto. With no points to show for his efforts, the highly skilled center is still making plays. "He is so skilled and so capable of making the big play, it is exciting to watch him," said a member of the Canadiens' staff. The team continues to manage his playing time, limiting him to about 12 minutes per game, but as time moves on in the season, I can see him getting more and more responsibility.

7. Marcus Foligno, forward, Buffalo Sabres
Previous rank: No. 7

Foligno's 16:53 ATOI leads all rookie forwards, and the big, scrappy winger continues to bang his way around the ice for the Sabres. Tied for fourth overall in rookie scoring with one goal and six assists, the son of former NHLer Mike Foligno continues to have the confidence of his coach. He has impressed others around the league, as well: "[Foligno] is heavy on the puck and is capable of making things happen coming out of the cycle," said an Eastern Conference scout.

8. Brendan Gallagher, forward, Montreal Canadiens
Previous rank: No. 9

As we talked about last week, this small, gritty forward has won the hearts of his teammates and the fans in Montreal because of his willingness to do whatever it takes to make an impact. In the team's 6-0 blowout loss to the Leafs, Gallagher found himself engaged in his first NHL fight, another sign of his drive and determination (though not something the Habs want him doing, in my opinion). He makes a positive impression on me every time I watch him play.

9. Jonas Brodin, defenseman, Minnesota Wild
Previous rank: No. 10

Cracking the top 10 last week was not a fluke, as Brodin excels at puck retrieval and his first pass out of the zone. The Wild have struggled to put up wins, but not due to the play of Brodin, who is now fully recovered from the broken clavicle he suffered while playing in Houston (AHL) during the lockout. "We are watching [Brodin] very closely to make sure he does not lose confidence," said a Wild staff member, "and thus far he has responded like a veteran pro."

10. Mikael Granlund, forward, Minnesota Wild
Previous rank: No. 8

Granlund seems to be falling out of the Calder Trophy race, but as mentioned before, he is the type of player who always finds a way to succeed. After recently being a healthy scratch, he made it back on the playing roster and from all accounts played better. "Had a few great chances and looked to have some needed jump," said a Western Conference scout who attended the game. The Finnish center is stuck on one goal and two assists while playing nearly 15 minutes per game. He stays in the top 10 for now but will need to break through and help his team win some more games if he wants to push forward in this rookie race.

Also considered

Jonathan Huberdeau, forward, Florida Panthers
Previous rank: NR

Huberdeau is creeping back into the top-10 conversation after posting three goals and three assists while averaging more than 15 minutes of ice time in 11 games.

Simon Despres, defenseman, Pittsburgh Penguins
Previous rank: NR

In 11 games, Despres has tallied two goals and three assists in 14:30 of ice time per game. Also, he's tied for second among rookie D-men in scoring and has a plus-4 rating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il

Yes, it's someone's elses fault that we made a number of good plays to get a goal. I'm sure it's Garrison's fault that Seto made that wicked move to put it in the net too.

Give credit where credit is due.

Those three guys earned that goal through good play. We have enough problems, we don't need extra bs on top of it.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
He's picked it up a bit lately but needs more than 3 points in 12 games to keep going. I do think if he's not really going offensively in the next 5 games he should be sent down for Larsson.

I agree with this.

At the very least it might light a fire under him, and this offseason he can hit the weights a little more. Even 10 more lbs of muscle on him would be night and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad