Prospect Info: Mikael "FBJ" Granlund VI (Turning saucer passes into wine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If the past two games are any indication, he'll exceed that. He's playing with a lot more confidence and creating chances for himself a lot more. 8 shots in the past 2 games after only 2 shots in the prior 5.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I didn't watch the game yesterday, fell asleep before it started. But damn he looks impressive in setting up that pominville goal. Also, compared to last season, he would not have been at that spot to score the goal last season.

It seems he's finally looking like he used to look when he still played in Finland for my home team IFK. Took maybe a bit longer than expected but hey, its good to see him back!

Took "a little bit" longer than expected from a coach to put him line which actually is capable to produce something. Granlund we are seeing now doesn't differs THAT much one we saw at game one last season. After that he slumped very fast.. Players like Cullen and Seto has no IQ same level with MiG, reason he was slumping over an year is, coach had no idea how to handle him -> Confidence problems. Now with Parise & Pominville he starts to resemble earlier Granlund we used to see because there is someone capable to receive elite level passing, cycle the game, and plays he makes actually produce something. Good to see him back stronger than ever before!

It's like same old Granlund with added speed & grit.

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Took "a little bit" longer than expected from a coach to put him line which actually is capable to produce something. Granlund we are seeing now doesn't differs THAT much one we saw at game one last season. After that he slumped very fast.. Players like Cullen and Seto has no IQ same level with MiG, reason he was slumping over an year is, coach had no idea how to handle him -> Confidence problems. Now with Parise & Pominville he starts to resemble earlier Granlund we used to see because there is someone capable to receive elite level passing, and plays he makes actually produce something. Good to see him back, and he is stronger than ever before!

Granlund wasn't physically ready last season. His skating was average, he was thrown around.

This year, he doesn't get thrown around that much and is actually a pretty good skater. Not Yeo's fault.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Took "a little bit" longer than expected from a coach to put him line which actually is capable to produce something. Granlund we are seeing now doesn't differs THAT much one we saw at game one last season. After that he slumped very fast.. Players like Cullen and Seto has no IQ same level with MiG, reason he was slumping over an year is, coach had no idea how to handle him -> Confidence problems. Now with Parise & Pominville he starts to resemble earlier Granlund we used to see because there is someone capable to receive elite level passing, cycle the game, and plays he makes actually produce something. Good to see him back stronger than ever before!

It's like same old Granlund with added speed & grit.

Eh? Last year, I played a pond hockey game with a friend who can barely skate. Halfway through the game, he tripped and lost both of his gloves, his stick, and the puck. We called it a Granlund. Now, I believed in Granny even after all my friends gave up, but he did NOT have the same ability last year as he does this year. You have to give Granlund credit for that, you can't blame it on the coach, and you can't give him the credit either.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
If Yeo was Granlund´s problem last year how is it that he has improved so much this year still under the same coach? Yeo like´s the kid a lot.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The reason why he is so good this year is, in order

1. Jalkaprässi
2. Kana(salaatti)
3. Etunojapunnerrus

Has nothing to do with Yeo.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Granlund's determination is why Granlund is better this year than he was last year. He KNEW he wasn't good enough last year, and he KNEW what he needed to work on, so he spend all offseason specifically working on what he needed to improve on to be an NHL player THIS year.

With the success he's had, now the confidence is starting to ooze into his game and he looks like the player he was hyped to be.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
If Yeo was Granlund´s problem last year how is it that he has improved so much this year still under the same coach? Yeo like´s the kid a lot.

Answer is simple, he developed at summer a lot and has more suitable linemates at the time were speaking (nothing to do with coaching obviously, but injuries). IF you had put MiG to center that line year a ago he wouldn't slump at all. Of course he is better player now, and after all his slow start on his NA-career could turn to be the key factor to success.

Granlund's determination is why Granlund is better this year than he was last year. He KNEW he wasn't good enough last year, and he KNEW what he needed to work on, so he spend all offseason specifically working on what he needed to improve on to be an NHL player THIS year.

With the success he's had, now the confidence is starting to ooze into his game and he looks like the player he was hyped to be.

He already was the player was hyped to, but slumped a whole year. You see, plays we see now is a very familiar Granlund.

Last edited:

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Better wish for couple of more saucer passes to Parise/Pominville before Koivu returns, because I'm not convinced at all that that Yeo is not going to put Koivu right back to #1. :badidea:

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Answer is simple, he developed at summer a lot and has more suitable linemates at the time were speaking (nothing to do with coaching obviously, but injuries). IF you had put MiG to center that line year a ago he wouldn't slump at all. Of course he is better player now, and after all his slow start on his NA-career could turn to be the key factor to success.

No. The answer is simple Granlund was holding himself back not Yeo.

bear1

Mar 3, 2011
Better wish for couple of more saucer passes to Parise/Pominville before Koivu returns, because I'm not convinced at all that that Yeo is not going to put Koivu right back to #1. :badidea:

Maybe its time to trade Koivu put his name out there and see what we can get for him. If the return is there trade him. I think its time

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
If it makes sense why not?

Just because a young player is playing well doesn't mean you should trade one of the team's most important players.

How exactly does it make sense?

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Just because a young player is playing well doesn't mean you should trade one of the team's most important players.

Yes, you can't count a young player like Granlund to be hot streak like this all the time, there have to be a player and a leader like Koivu to support him on that role and take some pressure off him..

bear1

Mar 3, 2011

That isn't at all why I said maybe its time to trade Koivu. The op was posting that the line FBJ was on would most likely be split up because Koivu was coming back. Now if that's the case then it pretty sad that you have to mess with a line that's going good to please one guy. Now to me being a captain is all about being a team player what ever it takes to win. So if that is the case then yes it does make sense to see what you can get for him if the return is good and it makes the team better then hell yes. We all know CK never pouts or anything so I say shop him.

bear1

Mar 3, 2011
Yes, you can't count a young player like Granlund to be hot streak like this all the time, there have to be a player and a leader like Koivu to support him on that role and take some pressure off him..

That's the thing is Koivu the leader we want.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
That isn't at all why I said maybe its time to trade Koivu. The op was posting that the line FBJ was on would most likely be split up because Koivu was coming back. Now if that's the case then it pretty sad that you have to mess with a line that's going good to please one guy. Now to me being a captain is all about being a team player what ever it takes to win. So if that is the case then yes it does make sense to see what you can get for him if the return is good and it makes the team better then hell yes. We all know CK never pouts or anything so I say shop him.

Why not keep Koivu and put him with, for example, Nino and Coyle? Koivu has the ability to elevate other players' game. Take advantage of that. We'd have two really good lines that are good defensively and offensively. Granlund has been improving well this year, which makes me happy. At the same time, I want Koivu back so we can have some solid depth in our lineup. Having good depth is what makes a good team. To me, a C depth of Granlund, Koivu, Haula, Coyle, Brodziak and so on is really good now and in the future.

Not to mention Koivu's leadership abilities. Sorry, I don't see why it would make sense to trade him.

eme

Oct 22, 2006
Helsinki

Suitable linemates would have benefitted his game last year, no doubt. That being said, he wasn't ready for NHL hockey, and he himself admits that. Don't get me wrong, I would want nothing more than to Granlund to succeed in his NHL career (okay, I'd also love to see Barkov excell), but to say that he was ready last year is just to cheat oneself.

Like I said, he's starting to look as if he still played in the Finnish league, and make no mistake, this is absolutely fantastic.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
He probably shouldn't have played in the NHL last year- although maybe that's untrue and what he learned from last year made him a better and more determined player.

That said, he wasn't a strong enough skater, or strong enough on his edges, and he simply couldn't keep up with the fast physical play of the NHL.

He went home and for four months he trained his butt off. Absolutely kicked his own *** six days a week to become a better athlete.

It worked.

And now that he can withstand the punishment or avoid it altogether, his elite skills can bleed through more.

Yes it helps having good linemates, but c'mon. The kid was a rag doll last season.

Very impressed with him this season, especially the last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna