Prospect Info: Mikael "FBJ" Granlund VI (Turning saucer passes into wine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
trading Koivu makes sense and does not, it all depends how much you're getting back for him. don't wanna see him traded.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
depends on who you can get for him

Which would likely be 2-3 smaller pieces, none of which would likely be a legit top 6 center, which would all of a sudden become the team's most glaring need. Plus, it's all moot because he's not going waive his NMC.

bear1

Mar 3, 2011
That's what I said it would depend on who was offered, small pieces no thanks almost never works out. Look at the Burns trade all that's left is Coyle and Phillips maybe, not looking too good there. Coyle for Burns straight up no way at least not yet if ever. Almost forgot the second from the Seto trade, never know about the NMC

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
Koivu has a good history with lesser players. Keep FBJ with Parise and Pommer and let Koivu work the second line.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Granny
Stastny
Koivu
Haula

That sounds like a great four centers

BTW Koivu averages about 19 goals per 82 games, he does average around 46 assists each season (not bad) every 82 games for 65 points every 82 games. The problem is, he averages 66 games a season (well, around 66 games a season. We don't know how many he'll play this season). So he averages around 52 points for us every season. Hopefully he stays healthy but we know that isn't going to be the case.

Last edited:

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
On his last three games he have more SOG, than he had on his first ten game of this season. I hope he continues shooting more, because that is the only way to score goals, unless you are Broziak.

I don't wanna jinx or hype him too much, but i think he is starting to score more constantly now and end up with ~12g this season.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I love Granlund's creativity. It's refreshing to see someone with the vision to make some of the passes he's making. And hopefully he just keeps getting better...

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
3 goals 13 assists for 16 points in his last 20 games with 31 shots on goal.

Pretty good step up with Mikko out! Hopefully he keeps it up after Mikko comes back.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Wild's emerging Granlund shows he's ready for his close-up

Great read from Russo. Some passages I liked:

Michael Russo said:
To Granlund’s right sits Zach Parise, usually with a half-dozen reporters orbiting him. To Granlund’s left sits Matt Cooke, also popular with the press because he’s a quote machine.

Granlund eyeballs everything, listens to every word, and never gripes that so many are hovering in his personal space.

“He’s learning and taking everything in,†said goalie Niklas Backstrom, who knows Granlund better than most.

---

When Granlund struggled in his first season with the Wild, he took it to heart.

“The one thing with Granny, he’s such a proud guy and he’s highly intelligent,†Wild assistant general manager Brent Flahr said. “This was probably the first time ever he didn’t have immediate success at something.â€

---

“He’s a pretty competitive kid,†Cooke said. “Sometimes he’s so gifted at slowing the game down and opening up ice, you almost underestimate his compete and his battle level and mistake it for not being determined.

“But you watch the way he’s playing in our own end this year, he’s knocking guys off pucks, he’s eliminating guys from plays.â€

---

Parise says Pominville has constantly raved about how much he loves playing with Granlund.

“I didn’t really understand it until I finally played with him [recently],†Parise said. “He jumps into holes and plays with a lot of speed in the neutral zone, which is nice for a winger. When your centerman is driving with speed through the middle, it opens a lot of things up. He makes really good plays with the puck. He’s developing really well.â€

Love that Parise quote. Our Grundelström clearly has a good head on his shoulders. This is not exactly news but he keeps impressing me.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
This could be a really cool redemption moment for Granlund. He seemed to hit kind of a skid after he missed the shootout goal in the WJC. A strong showing in the Olympics could really help his confidence, especially playing so well recently.

eme

Oct 22, 2006
Helsinki
I reckon Granlund will be one of the more important players for team Finland in Sochi, especially if Mikko does not make the trip. The space big ice offers is certainly going to benefit Granny.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
This could be a really cool redemption moment for Granlund. He seemed to hit kind of a skid after he missed the shootout goal in the WJC. A strong showing in the Olympics could really help his confidence, especially playing so well recently.

Well said Jarick - I remember there was a lot of hubbub made of that. OTOH, the humble pie he digested from that experience and his middling rookie season drove him to be better.

I'd like redemption for the kid, but not at the expense of driving himself to be even better, probably a moot point given his character.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Gargamel is finally starting to play respectably, and he is off to the Sochi, were I fear he is going to get another headshot, and miss the rest of the season.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I'm interested to see him on Olympic ice. I wonder if his newfound speed will make him an even bigger threat?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
3 goals 13 assists for 16 points in his last 20 games with 31 shots on goal.

Pretty good step up with Mikko out! Hopefully he keeps it up after Mikko comes back.

That's on pace for a 12 goal season. If Koivu scores 12 in a season everyone criticizes him, but it's just fine when it's Granlund ?

OpRedDawn*

That's on pace for a 12 goal season. If Koivu scores 12 in a season everyone criticizes him, but it's just fine when it's Granlund ?

-____-

He's been injured for a large chunk and this is his first real year...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Definitely want to see Granlund getting more shots on net, but that's a 65-point pace. For a 21 year old who looked completely lost last year, that's great.

The last couple games, Granlund has looked downright FAST. Very impressive.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Granny
Stastny
Koivu
Haula

That sounds like a great four centers

BTW Koivu averages about 19 goals per 82 games, he does average around 46 assists each season (not bad) every 82 games for 65 points every 82 games. The problem is, he averages 66 games a season (well, around 66 games a season. We don't know how many he'll play this season). So he averages around 52 points for us every season. Hopefully he stays healthy but we know that isn't going to be the case.

Posted that before and got stones thrown at me. To be honest if we wen with lines as

Parise-Granlund-Pommers
Nino-Stastny-Zucker
Fontaine-Koivu-Coyle
Cooke-Haula-Mitchell

I would be ecstatic about seeing that. That is 4 lines that play for a mismatch, and you know good and well one, if not 2, are going to get it against teams not named Chicago, LA, or St. Louis.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Posted that before and got stones thrown at me. To be honest if we wen with lines as

Parise-Granlund-Pommers
Nino-Stastny-Zucker
Fontaine-Koivu-Coyle
Cooke-Haula-Mitchell

I would be ecstatic about seeing that. That is 4 lines that play for a mismatch, and you know good and well one, if not 2, are going to get it against teams not named Chicago, LA, or St. Louis.

Because Stastny is not better than Koivu, so why would Stastny beat out Koivu?

Its pretty much that simple.

If you have a workable plan to bring in a better center than Koivu that would knock him down to the third line, i'm all for it.

But even with Koivu as defensively responsible as he is, he still scores at a higher rate than Stastny.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

If you have a workable plan to bring in a better center than Koivu that would knock him down to the third line, i'm all for it.

But even with Koivu as defensively responsible as he is, he still scores at a higher rate than Stastny.

Since 2007-08, they're almost exactly equal in points-per-game, but yeah, not enough to knock Koivu down to 3rd line status.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

Amen. Very good post.

I would welcome Stastny to this team, but he would likely be 3C. That's not a knock on him. Just that he would be the best choice. Koivu is a good 1C (inb4 I get flamed for saying this) and we need Granlund's chemistry with Parise and Pommer.

I think IF we signed Stastny, our lineup would be something like:

Nino-Koivu-Coyle
Parise-Gran-Pom
Zucker-Stastny-Fonz
Cooke-Brodziak-X

Which I would be fine with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad