Mikael Backlund guarantees Game 6 win

May 23, 2007
Calgary
The Canucks should be using something else for motivation.

You know, like the fact that they are one loss away from hitting the golf course. What Backlund said is Ferelavant.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Well the Dome is guarantee'd to be electric. Moreso than games 3/4. It definitely won't be easy for the Nucks to pull this off.

I don't know why you think the Dome will be more electric than in games 3 and 4. The Pressure is on Calgary now. Calgary is expected to dominate, while the Canucks are expected to suck.

Liloldadyo*

I don't know why you think the Dome will be more electric than in games 3 and 4. The Pressure is on Calgary now. Calgary is expected to dominate, while the Canucks are expected to suck.

Because there is the chance to kill the Canucks?

I personally guarantee the Dome will break the previous decibel record of this series of 121.5 dB. The pressure is on Calgary and that is why. The team will feed of the crowd and the crowd is 100% aware of that and they will turn it up. We've seen it before.

I don't know why on earth you think it would be less electric than games 3/4? Calgary is not Vancouver.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
There's no way we're losing at home =/= guaranteeing a game 6 win

I get that he's basically saying the same thing, but it doesn't have the same meaning as someone saying, "I personally guarantee a game 6 win."

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
This is the classic "let the result drive headline" sports narrative. If Backlund has no distinguishing effect on the rest of the series (for better or worse) the story will be:

"Backlund a clutch playoff warrior gaurenteeing victory" if Calgary happens to win

"Backlund a Thornton-esque choker, crumbles under the pressure" if Calgary loses

I just don't care for it much, I much rather see who proves it on the ice.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Good for him, now he has to follow through with it.

It's no big deal, Doughty said stuff like this all the time during the playoffs.

gtwyc

FlyingHeadButts4All
Jun 5, 2011
los angeles, ca
This is the classic "let the result drive headline" sports narrative. If Backlund has no distinguishing effect on the rest of the series (for better or worse) the story will be:

"Backlund a clutch playoff warrior gaurenteeing victory" if Calgary happens to win

"Backlund a Thornton-esque choker, crumbles under the pressure" if Calgary loses

I just don't care for it much, I much rather see who proves it on the ice.

this.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Do you really think one team is going to play better and with more desire in the playoffs because someone on the other team said "we r going to win". If it takes that to fire up a team, then that team likely never made the playoffs anyway.

MilanKraft*

The Canucks should be using something else for motivation.

You know, like the fact that they are one loss away from hitting the golf course. What Backlund said is Ferelavant.

And calgary is two losses away from the golf course lol

Either way, both teams are just easy meat for anaheim.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I really don't see what's so bad about what he said. That crap gets said all the time.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Before this comment, I don't think the Canucks were going to try very hard in game 6 but now they'll likely be playing with fire.

They're facing elimination, this has no bearing on anything.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Why not guarantee a cup, Backlund? This lightweight optimism is for losers! Guarantee a dynasty! Guarantee a 75 goal season next year!

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
JFC Vancouver's media is as bad as Toronto.

No kittens stuck in trees to report on? What about the local Sewing Bee?

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Also I realize it's Eric Francis, but every here already knows he's a massive joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad