Mikael Backlund guarantees Game 6 win

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Shocked he said this. He just gave the Canucks added incentive to win in Calgary Saturday, and gave them bulletin board material to feed off of.

I'm interested to see what fans think of quotes and guarantees like these. Not a big deal? Big deal? Huge no-no? It's not very often this happens, and the last time I even remember a 'guaranteed win', is Messier doing it. I'm sure there's been times since?

Mods can move this if deemed unnecessary as a stand-alone topic.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It's da playoffs, baby. Tempo's are soaring and guys are young, fruitful and pissed.

It's not that big of a game for this to be huge issue, imo. Canucks have to win next game anyway, whether he says anything or not, lool. If he was down 3-2 and said then then it means more.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think this kind of thing (which happens every year now a days it seems) has any bearing whatsoever on the actual series. What, the Canucks are going to see this quote and all of a sudden play harder next game? They are playing for their playoff lives. Nothing Backlund says is going to change how they play their game. The only impact this quote will have is Backlund will look like a bit of a dummy if they lose game 6.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Shocked he said this. He just gave the Canucks added incentive to win in Calgary Saturday, and gave them bulletin board material to feed off of.
If this gives the Canucks extra incentive to win game six, then they don't have what it takes to win game six at all.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't think this kind of thing (which happens every year now a days it seems) has any bearing whatsoever on the actual series. What, the Canucks are going to see this quote and all of a sudden play harder next game? They are playing for their playoff lives. Nothing Backlund says is going to change how they play their game. The only impact this quote will have is Backlund will look like a bit of a dummy if they lose game 6.

It just adds more incentive, I think. Was wondering what others thought of these kind of situations.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If this gives the Canucks extra incentive to win game six, then they don't have what it takes to win game six at all.

It just adds to an already desperate team, is all. You'd think Calgary would not want to rile up their opponent any further than necessary.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
You're no Messier, Backlund.

For GOD'S sake, keep your mouth shut for two days, Bieksa...

Bulletin board stuff. Need some. Bad karma going the Flamers' way. Need some.

C'mon. Not dead yet.

C'mon...

old time hockey4

Feb 26, 2009
Calgary
I like Drance's tweet about it the best, he was in the scrum as well:

Thomas Drance ‏@ThomasDrance 52m52 minutes ago

Backlund delivered his "guarantee" so casually. Almost under his breath. Most relaxed guaranteed victory of all time. #likeaboss

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Well I prefer that over "I hope we go out there and not lose"

I'd like everyone in the flames to say we are going to win game 6, if there is one thing this flames team has done, it's believe.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Oh man. Nucks shouldn't even show up now. May as well just hand the victory to Calgary. :sarcasm:

Just adds fuel to the fire. Can't wait though!

Dude congrats on becoming a Mod, well deserved!!

(You can now use your Mod powers to delete this unnecessary/off topic post)

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Players should speak in cliches only, it makes us feel so safe and comfortable.

In conformity we trust!

Liloldadyo*

Well the Dome is guarantee'd to be electric. Moreso than games 3/4. It definitely won't be easy for the Nucks to pull this off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad