Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

ncdoc

Oct 10, 2015
EV GF% is only fancy if you failed first grade math.

Mika has been on the ice for 3 EV goals against? Brayden Point has been on the ice for 24 against. That seems like something that matters.

I’ll definitely concede that from his first shift last night he was looking rusty with his touches but that doesn’t mean he’s floating and not giving effort.

Yes! Been a great defensive first line! I think he will turn it around soon!! Give him some time!

Reactions: kovazub94

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ

Mika has been on the ice for 3 EV goals against? Brayden Point has been on the ice for 24 against. That seems like something that matters.

I’ll definitely concede that from his first shift last night he was looking rusty with his touches but that doesn’t mean he’s floating and not giving effort.
Brayden Point has 23 points in 18 games this season. Second on his team only to Kucheron who is a future Hall of Famer. Point has 13 EV points.

Point scored 51 goals last year, he scored 40+ another time. He won two Stanley Cups as a major contributor.

On no planet is Zibanejad better than Point. Only being able to cherry pick one stat proves my point further.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Brayden Point has 23 points in 18 games this season. 13 EV points.

Point scored 51 goals last year, he scored 40+ another time. He won two Stanley Cups as a major contributor.

On no planet is Zibanejad better than Point. Only being able to cherry pick one stat proves my point further.
points schmoints (no sarcasm). The objective isn't to score it's to outscore. Who's been more successful this season at that?

Reactions: McRanger92 and zlev

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
This is why fancy stats are a complete joke sometimes. Zibanejad has been absolutely invisible, a shell of his best self, he has no drive, no motor, he's floating and aloof. Every one can see it. It's getting to the end of November and the guy has 3 EV points, 1 EV goal. Jimmy Vesey scored more EV goals last night than Zibanejad has in 2 months of the season. Jimmy Vesey has more EV points. Zibanejad has one point in the last 6 games (a PP assist).
he actually has 0 even strength goals.

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023

He is giving effort. But he doesn’t have an extra gear. I don’t see him as a top tier guy thats going to winnus many playoff games. He is a good secondary guy. He doesn’t have a fire- anyone who has played sports gets it.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He needs a puck carrier and someone who can enter the zone with possession. Someone who will aggressively forecheck too

Reactions: romba

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
He is giving effort. But he doesn’t have an extra gear. I don’t see him as a top tier guy thats going to winnus many playoff games. He is a good secondary guy. He doesn’t have a fire- anyone who has played sports gets it.
Never played...just a high major DOBO.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Over the prior 5 regular seasons spanning over 360 games under 3 (!!!) different coaches Zibanejad has been a PPG player. Yeah, I’m going to freak out over 15 games sample.

Reactions: TheBPA

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
He had a similarly slow start over the covid shortened season. He's just a streaky player at this point and will never hit the same pre-covid elite level. I love the player, and he's still a guy we could win with, but that line is incomplete without someone to help him at this point.

It used to be that if a player was struggling, you just put him with Zib and that player would wake up. Now it's kind of the opposite.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Over the prior 5 regular seasons spanning over 360 games under 3 (!!!) different coaches Zibanejad has been a PPG player. Yeah, I’m going to freak out over 15 games sample.
In which he’s top 10 in EV GF%. We would be butt cised for his play to continue. Please let it happen.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Lack of sleep is just as bad/worse than being buzzed. We had drunk Igor last year, now we have drunk Mika. Explains why his one timer is hitting the glass every time.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
If the puck ever comes to him along the left halfboards on the PP and there's a semblance of pressure he turns it over. For the most part though, he's not harming the PP too much and his teamate's comfort with him on the unit definitely counts for something, but he's really net neutral at best on PP1. As long as we're clicking at 30%+ keep him there and hope he figures it out soon.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Looks like we have the usual bad takes when the puck isn't going in (5v5)

Mika has points on 20% of goals when he's on the ice. He's generally 75-80%.

Mika has goals on 0% of his shots. Normally he's around 10-11%.

At 5v4 he's only hit the net on 44% of his shot attempts. That's worse than his usual numbers. It's also completely common over 16 game stretches. He had 10 instances of a rolling 16 game average under 45% last year (obviously some overlap) He ended at 58%.

He obviously hasn't been great but these stupid comments like "Oh, look, he's tied with 8 goalies in scoring" is just total nonsense trying to drive a narrative.

He's also hardly the only good forward who has 1 primary 5v5 point so far. Oshie, Johansen, Zegras, Rakell, Palat also have 1. Hayes, Perron, Caufield, Kuznetsov, our hero Buchnevich all have 2. Huberdeau, Lindholm, Wilson, Schmaltz, Gaudreau, Norris, Beniers, Cooley, Leo Carlsson have 3. Some of these guys numbers are propped up by secondary assists (i.e. by not having points on 20% of their teams goals when on the ice).

Kind of funny too how people love to misuse ES points instead of 5v5 points but because Mika has 3 ES points they immediately shift to using 5v5 points (as they always should) because it fits the story better.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
How does one figure shooting percentage?
Does it only includes shots on goal ?
What about shots that miss the goal?
What about shots that are blocked?

Sorry for the stupid question but but I’m not clear on the formula.
Goals divided by Shots on goal. Move the decimal point over two spaces. Very simple

2 goals / 44 shots = 0.0454545, 4.6% = Mika

He needs to hit the net more. A lot more. He leads the team with 33 missed shots. Seems inaccurate too, should be more.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad