Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
he has an identity crisis.

problem is, he may think he's playing well. Nothing will change then, especially because we're winning.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
They're not even running the one-timer setpiece anymore. Honestly I don't think he had a bad game. He deferred a lot tonight, like a player with zero confidence

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
15 games in anyone wanna guess the only other first line center without a 5 on 5 goal? Matty Berniers.
I just ran thru each team and only came up with one other guy.

Reactions: Blasds

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
They're not even running the one-timer setpiece anymore. Honestly I don't think he had a bad game. He deferred a lot tonight, like a player with zero confidence
I was so bitter on the 3rd period PP when we didn't get into our setup. Makes no sense.

• Haha
Reactions: will1066

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
The org babies him .

If Johnny G and Huberdeau can be benched for playing like clowns , why can't Zib?
One guy is a +7, one is a -6, and one is a -11. One is a 20 min two way center and the other two are offensive minded wingers.

You do the math.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
They are 100% trying to set him up in the slot. Which I don’t mind. I rather he use his wrist shot but kreider can’t vacate the front just to force that

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Is the point of 5 on 5 play to get schmoints or to outscore the opponent. If it's the latter then he's our best. While getting tough matchups. And while in a slump. #MikaMagic

Edit: Looked it up and he's 7th in the whole league in EV GF%. I wonder if any of the top 6 are getting flack (Tarasenko is #1 and he's nubs so it's quite possible!!!)

Last edited:

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I'm not worried at all.The team is playing well and his line just hasn't buried their chances yet...and they will.He will get hot and next thing you know is he hits 35+ goals again and 75+ points.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Is the point of 5 on 5 play to get schmoints or to outscore the opponent. If it's the latter then he's our best. While getting tough matchups. And while in a slump. #MikaMagic

Edit: Looked it up and he's 7th in the whole league in EV GF%. I wonder if any of the top 6 are getting flack (Tarasenko is #1 and he's nubs so it's quite possible!!!)
This is why fancy stats are a complete joke sometimes. Zibanejad has been absolutely invisible, a shell of his best self, he has no drive, no motor, he's floating and aloof. Every one can see it. It's getting to the end of November and the guy has 3 EV points, 1 EV goal. Jimmy Vesey scored more EV goals last night than Zibanejad has in 2 months of the season. Jimmy Vesey has more EV points. Zibanejad has one point in the last 6 games (a PP assist).

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
This is why fancy stats are a complete joke sometimes. Zibanejad has been absolutely invisible, a shell of his best self, he has no drive, no motor, he's floating and aloof. Every one can see it. It's getting to the end of November and the guy has 3 EV points, 1 EV goal. Jimmy Vesey scored more EV goals last night than Zibanejad has in 2 months of the season. Jimmy Vesey has more EV points. Zibanejad has one point in the last 6 games (a PP assist).

Breadman has as many goals as Zibs has points. Laf already has 1 more point without seeing as much PP time.

The jokes write themselves...just don't say them because "political."

Reactions: Kravtsov420

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
mQOd8sZk.gif

JMan74

Jun 27, 2019
he has an identity crisis.

problem is, he may think he's playing well. Nothing will change then, especially because we're winning.
Help me understand..... this guy is normally a slow starter. Most of us get that. However this start is waaaaay slow.

Is it personal life, is it the system? Some players like different systems better than others. He was one of the few that excelled in GGs system.

Just having an off year? Playing hurt with an undisclosed injury?

Its frustrating because if he plays like we are used to and getting Fox back, this team is pretty loaded as is especially with Laffy and Panny playing the way they are.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Help me understand..... this guy is normally a slow starter. Most of us get that. However this start is waaaaay slow.

Is it personal life, is it the system? Some players like different systems better than others. He was one of the few that excelled in GGs system.

Just having an off year? Playing hurt with an undisclosed injury?

Its frustrating because if he plays like we are used to and getting Fox back, this team is pretty loaded as is especially with Laffy and Panny playing the way they are.
This narrative started over covid. He started real slow in 2020-2021 because he had covid late camp. 2022 was the one stand alone season that he had no 'excuses' for starting slow. So, I don't put much weight into it that narrative. He didn't start slow last year.

He just looks lost. Doesn't know what he wants to do. He became a different player under Gallant. He needs to re-establish an identity. Being a matchup defensive center is not what he's getting paid for.

JMan74

Jun 27, 2019
So many other players are responding to this new system. They need to figure out how to reinvigorate Zibs game. I don't want him becoming essentially what Panarin was in GGs system...which was a totally misutilized player.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
EV GF% is only fancy if you failed first grade math.

Mika has been on the ice for 3 EV goals against? Brayden Point has been on the ice for 24 against. That seems like something that matters.

I’ll definitely concede that from his first shift last night he was looking rusty with his touches but that doesn’t mean he’s floating and not giving effort.

Reactions: zlev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad