Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The current CBA expires in 2022.

Regarding maximum deals, I would love to see the NHL limit the term for UFAs to emphasize building through the draft a bit more which benefits small market teams. Something like this:

- RFA/under contract: 7 year max
- UFA: 5 year max
Thank you. So that's after the '21-'22 season, right?
OT: I can't believe it's nearly the year 2020. Bananas.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thank you. So that's after the '21-'22 season, right?
OT: I can't believe it's nearly the year 2020. Bananas.

Yes. They will probably start negotiations before the season is over though.

If it was up to me, I would introduce a "homegrown discount" on cap hits as well but I doubt it'll happen haha. In my proposal, a team gets 5% cap hit discount for every year the player has been on the team, with a max discount of 25%. Only applies to players drafted by the team, and only if they have played for just that one team. It incentivices players to stay with their team as they can get more money for the same cap hit, and it promotes "building through the draft". Oh, it's a nice scenario but it won't happen :laugh:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Maybe ironic was the wrong word. More so ‘strange’ that 3 consecutive high picks like that all took some time to reach their true potentials.

Players need time to develop. 26 is right around the sweet spot where you're seeing exactly what the player's full potential is.

Soemtimes, it seems like fans are expecting prospects to come in with Connor McDavid's momentum out of the gate. It's just not how things go for 99% of talent in the league. Especially at center where the learning curve seems to be pretty high in today's game.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
You have to watch out for LA Kings. There are an incredibly large number of Persians (exile Iranians) in LA (about half a million, many of them wealthy). Mika would probably become a King there. ;-)
Cyrus.jpg

(poor joke department)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know we're only 2 games into the season, but we're now going on close to 3 weeks of action where Kreider has, more often than not, left me wanting.

And that's coming off a 17 game finish to last season where he posted 2 goals and 5 points.

It's sort of the opposite of the Zibanejad having X points in X games statement.

Reactions: NY Lito

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I know we're only 2 games into the season, but we're now going on close to 3 weeks of action where Kreider has, more often than not, left me wanting.

And that's coming off a 17 game finish to last season where he posted 2 goals and 5 points.

It's sort of the opposite of the Zibanejad having X points in X games statement.

He hasn't been nearly as effective in puck retrieval in the offensive zone and winning puck battles along the boards in my eyes. It's still early, though. He has had some rushes but didn't finish. He showed elite finishing ability last season, especially early on.

Reactions: Edge

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don't think Gorton's history tells us that at all. he during a rebuild hasn't committed to aging good players but the only elite player he's gotten his hands on is panarin and commit to him till 34 with no problem...so if we are talking about mika being an elite #1 than history tells us gorton will take care of him
Commiting to Panarin at 27 for 7 years, is not the equivalent to committing to Zibanejad at 29 for 7 years. If Zibs contract was up this off-season, it'd be the equivalent to getting that Panarin extension. Besides the players having different builds and mileage, It's going to be a weird situation

Do we know when the next CBA kicks in? And is it expected that there will be further limits on contracts agreed? I wonder if they stick with 7 and 8 year maximum deals. For example.

5-6 year max ( 5 year UFA max / 6 years for re-signing with your team ) would be interesting. Along with RFA limits...

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
Remember when he was a young gun on the Senators, he showed a lot of potential but the they were so inpatient with him and expected to much to early. God bless the rangers tho for getting him out that team. Its nice to see the support he gets around here.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Remember when he was a young gun on the Senators, he showed a lot of potential but the they were so inpatient with him and expected to much to early.
A lesson fans that some Rangers fans would do well to remember. There are many young players here and the expectations of some are completely unrealistic. You see people state that if Kakko does not net X amount of points, it will be disappointing. Or how could Andersson have only so many or Chytil or...... One would think that people could see the lessons of ZBad an apply them to the current youth.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
A lesson fans that some Rangers fans would do well to remember. There are many young players here and the expectations of some are completely unrealistic. You see people state that if Kakko does not net X amount of points, it will be disappointing. Or how could Andersson have only so many or Chytil or...... One would think that people could see the lessons of ZBad an apply them to the current youth.

Yup, not everyone is tearing it up from the get go but fans around the league have seen guys like Matthews coming in to the NHL scoring like a mad man - thats not the norm. Plenty of young players has taken time to grow in to the NHL and become fine players with time.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Playing devil's advocate for a second, I can see where some of the creeping concern is coming from.

Zibanejad, though not nearly the player he is now, put up 20 points in 42 games as a 19 year old, and was contributing at the NHL level all the way up to a 20 goal/45 point campaign as 22 year old and a 21 goal, 51 point campaign as a 23 year old.

I think people will feel a little calmer if they can see a couple of guys from a group that includes Howden, Andersson or Chytil maybe net 15 goals and 30 points. Additionally, having ADA cement his place, or Lemieux take next steps will go a long way. I don't think anyone has to be a world beater, but this definitely a season where people will be expecting "something" from some of these guys.

I think Chytil being in the AHL has people spooked a little right now, because he's the prime example of someone who was expected to start with the club and at least see some modest gains from last season. Obviously, there is still plenty of time for that and I'm optimistic. But I can see where the current situation doesn't really help ease the tension.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think people will feel a little calmer if they can see a couple of guys from a group that includes Howden, Andersson or Chytil maybe net 15 goals and 30 points. Additionally, having ADA cement his place, or Lemieux take next steps will go a long way. I don't think anyone has to be a world beater, but this definitely a season where people will be expecting "something" from some of these guys.
I do not disagree that progress needs to be made from the group. I just believe that the expectations that some fans placed on these kids was completely unrealistic. You had people with high expectations of playoff plus the kids replacing the production of departing vets. That will inevitably lead to disappointment and beliefs of "failure".

That said, yes, I agree. Progress needs to be made from at least two or three of the group that you name. But people need to be realistic of what that progress is more than likely going to look like.

Reactions: egelband and Edge

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Playing devil's advocate for a second, I can see where some of the creeping concern is coming from.

Zibanejad, though not nearly the player he is now, put up 20 points in 42 games as a 19 year old, and was contributing at the NHL level all the way up to a 20 goal/45 point campaign as 22 year old and a 21 goal, 51 point campaign as a 23 year old.

I think Chytil being in the AHL has people spooked a little right now, because he's the prime example of someone who was expected to start with the club and at least see some modest gains from last season. Obviously, there is still plenty of time for that and I'm optimistic. But I can see where the current situation doesn't really help ease the tension.

Chytil's hockey sense is taking its time developing to NHL level, so that's a little worrisome, his tactical challenges (like body positioning, protecting the puck) notwithstanding.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Chytil's hockey sense is taking its time developing to NHL level, so that's a little worrisome, his tactical challenges (like body positioning, protecting the puck) notwithstanding.

I could be way off base here, but I do get the sense that Chytil is a kid who is going to need to be pushed a bit. Not saying he's lazy, so much as I think he's a fairly laid back kid who is going to need someone to really push him to consistently assert himself and challenge him to be his best.

Reactions: will1066

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I get that, but he also has 85 NHL games experience. That's not nothing
I think that's pretty much nothing. Nobody hits their prime in 85 games. It takes the average NHL player years to hit their prime and develop all their skills.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
A
I think that's pretty much nothing. Nobody hits their prime in 85 games. It takes the average NHL player years to hit their prime and develop all their skills.
Agree to disagree. Looking for signs of improvement and progression is what I suggested and far from demanding that he hit his prime. He seems to still be reacting to the pace at this level, his board work is still underwhelming and he still gets bodied off the puck a lot. Far cry from that stretch last year where he scored in five straight games or something.

Reactions: Krams
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad