Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Just remarkable how much he's grown as a hockey player in two years. We're watching a player put it all together, and for the Rangers.

giphy.webp

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Serious question how did Mika Zibanejad not make the NHL ALL-STAR GAME last season? He got snubbed last year in my opinion.

Mika will be at the NHL ALL-STAR GAME this year in my opinion.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Serious question how did Mika Zibanejad not make the NHL ALL-STAR GAME last season? He got snubbed last year in my opinion.

Mika will be at the NHL ALL-STAR GAME this year in my opinion.

I am almost feeling sorry for the Ottawa Senators. :D Mika loved it there, then they dumped him, congrats to New York Rangers.

Mika Z,
Silfverberg
Lehner
oh I forgot about Erik Karlsson
Hoffman
Stone

ok....

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Has this been posted yet? 3 language interview with Zibanejad, starting with English, a little Finnish, and ending with Swedish.

Only missing Farsi (Persian language). ;-) Mika seem to be such a genuine nice guy, a role model out there, it's cool bridging between different cultures and languages as well. I will never forget him scoring the winning goal in the WJC finals for Sweden, you could clearly see his huge talent already then. (It was before the Senators decided to dump him.)

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

The deal was strange to me at the time.

Granted I felt it was a matter of trading the better player at the time for the better player in the future. However, even at the time of the trade I didn’t feel like there was that wide of a gap to begin with.

Then it seemed right after the gate, they were essentially even and it wasn’t long before Zibanejad became the better “current” player - to say nothing about the future. And that gap just kept growing and growing.

The funny thing is that Zibanejad is still two years younger that Brassard was when he was traded.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Granted I felt it was a matter of trading the better player at the time for the better player in the future. However, even at the time of the trade I didn’t feel like there was that wide of a gap to begin with.

Then it seemed right after the gate, they were essentially even and it wasn’t long before Zibanejad became the better “current” player - to say nothing about the future. And that gap just kept growing and growing.

The funny thing is that Zibanejad is still two years younger that Brassard was when he was traded.

The deal was all about money though. Ottawa adding a 2nd rounder for the Rangers paying Brassard's signing bonus and the trade happening after July 1st, is another indicator of that.

It was a bad deal from a competitive standpoint, but financially it made sense. Melnyk has ruined hockey in Ottawa

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The deal was all about money though. Ottawa adding a 2nd rounder for the Rangers paying Brassard's signing bonus and the trade happening after July 1st, is another indicator of that.

It was a bad deal from a competitive standpoint, but financially it made sense. Melnyk has ruined hockey in Ottawa

Even from a financial standpoint, I find it hard to believe that’s the best they’ve could’ve done. Financials aside, Brassard was clearly a player they targeted.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Even from a financial standpoint, I find it hard to believe that’s the best they’ve could’ve done. Financials aside, Brassard was clearly a player they targeted.

They did, and part of that was his contract, which was front loaded. The final years they paid him less than the actual cap hit. This is why I was surprised Gorton didn't do the same with Namestnikov or Spooner last year when we re-signed them

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Ottawa management was obsessed with finding a left handed center, and Brassard was widely regarded around the league given his playoff success. Mix in Ottawa's impatience with Zibanejad and the Rangers window effectively being closed, and you got the "today for tomorrow" deal. I don't think many expected Brassard to fall off the cliff like he did.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

It seemed like honestly, a classic 'Slats' type of move. Delusional Ott thought the 'playoff monster' Brass would show up and bring that cup to french Canada.

Completely delusional, we SMOKED that trade and I've just never been happier.

*that Mika - Lias two on one was just gorgeous. If Mika opted to pass Lias more than likely bangs that one in. Watch out powerplays of the NHL. The powerkill is back.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Ottawa management was obsessed with finding a left handed center, and Brassard was widely regarded around the league given his playoff success. Mix in Ottawa's impatience with Zibanejad and the Rangers window effectively being closed, and you got the "today for tomorrow" deal. I don't think many expected Brassard to fall off the cliff like he did.

Brassard is a player he seemed to get old quickly. Coupled with the fact that he was an ideal system match for the Rangers and the deal couldn’t have been timed better.

And remember, we also ended up with a second round in that deal that ended up being in the early 30s. What we bought with that pick is another matter, but we got Zibanejad and what would become the 33rd pick in the 2018 draft.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

Mamas Mustard

Sponsor
Nov 21, 2013
bergen co
I dont think many people had Zibanejad pinned as a 70+ point 1C at the time. The trade seemed to be considered a win at the time based on age, but not many thought it was going to be as lopsided as it is today.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

Mamas Mustard

Sponsor
Nov 21, 2013
bergen co
At least two posters on this board did - @MahomesIsGod and I both saw that as his upside at the time of the trade.
Oh the upside was definitely there. 51 points as a 21- 22 year old the season before he was traded. He came here and started pretty hot, but then he had that (essentially) season ending injury. Didnt look the same after. Probably came back a little too soon, because he didnt look 100% the season after either. I think those events led to him being a bit underrated and you know how it is around here with the "what have you shown me lately" attitude that this website has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad