Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I dont think many people had Zibanejad pinned as a 70+ point 1C at the time. The trade seemed to be considered a win at the time based on age, but not many thought it was going to be as lopsided as it is today.
I LOVED Brasssard but I did understand why they did the trade back then, so I wasn't really upset about it. I didn't know anything about him except what you guys on this board said, that he had tremendous potential. He's certainly living up to it. One of the best trades in our history.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Oh the upside was definitely there. 51 points as a 21- 22 year old the season before he was traded. He came here and started pretty hot, but then he had that (essentially) season ending injury. Didnt look the same after. Probably came back a little too soon, because he didnt look 100% the season after either. I think those events led to him being a bit underrated and you know how it is around here with the "what have you shown me lately" attitude that this website has.

Yes, hence the running gag about Zibanejad being a "20 ft. player".

Reactions: Rongomania

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Zibanejad is as good or better then the guy taken right after him in his draft, Mark Schifele, who was also sort of a late bloomer. With Panarin on his wing, his numbers are going up big time this year.

Ironically, the guy taken after Schiefele, Coutourier, was also a late bloomer. Always a solid defensive center but didn’t break out offensively until 2018

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Zibanejad is as good or better then the guy taken right after him in his draft, Mark Schifele, who was also sort of a late bloomer. With Panarin on his wing, his numbers are going up big time this year.

Ironically, the guy taken after Schiefele, Coutourier, was also a late bloomer. Always a solid defensive center but didn’t break out offensively until 2018

Why is that ironic?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Its funny because he IS a 200 ft player so I'm trying to figure out which 20 feet theyre even joking about.

When he came here, some people on here claimed he could never possibly reach this potential most of us knew he had in him (and now, then some). Some thought he'd be in perpetual 'what could have been 50ish point player' territory forever.

He's all about crushing that 200

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So ridiculous he doesn't have the C.

Stop worrying about Kreider's feelings and give him the C already.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
the C is more important to fans than players...he doesn't need the C to be the leader

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
the last few guys that were given the C it ended up being a 4 ton piano on their backs and they were never the same players again...mika is still young and just not emerging as a top line center. he doesn't need extra pressure
You just said it's not that important to the players?

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
You just said it's not that important to the players?

Surely isn't terribly important to the players as far as who has the ability to speak up and rally teammates in game/in the locker room. I don't think any of them look at Lundqvist and say "Well he doesn't have a letter, I'm not going to listen to him." The confidence or expectation that the FO has in a player to perform/the perception that the captain is supposed to lead by example can weigh on the individual.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'll bring it up.... Looking ahead...

There's a slight chance Zibs wont be a part of the long-term future, as crazy as it sounds. Will Gorton commit to a long-term deal when he's 29? 7-8 years? $80-100M? If he's true to his past, he wont. Does 'contending' change things? Being a 1C?

Bittersweet ending.. He's the piece that brings McDavid to the Garden.

ok, send me your hate and/or your snarky comments.

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL

There's a slight chance Zibs wont be a part of the long-term future, as crazy as it sounds. Will Gorton commit to a long-term deal when he's 29? 7-8 years? $80-100M? If he's true to his past, he wont. Does 'contending' change things? Being a 1C?

The thought that the Rangers won't commit to Mika until age 36 is not "out there" at all.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

I don't necessarily disagree. Gorton seems to prefer to pay for future than pay for what someone has done. I'd be all for a 2-3 year extension on top of what he has.
I think alot of it will depend on what we get from this draft, how chytil and andersson seem to shake out in the next few years.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

I don't think Gorton's history tells us that at all. he during a rebuild hasn't committed to aging good players but the only elite player he's gotten his hands on is panarin and commit to him till 34 with no problem...so if we are talking about mika being an elite #1 than history tells us gorton will take care of him

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Oh, and "20 ft. player"...:laugh:

Har ha har.. Well, you really showed me.

This dopey response is what...9 years (and 2 games into a brand new season) in the making now? :laugh:

You're the very reason why dumb shit gets beaten to death with no just cause around here.
Enough already ffs.

Fact is.. At the time when I posted that, he earned every bit of criticism I gave him and I stand by it.

That said.. He's looking really good now and obviously turned a corner so hopefully he keeps it up and sets the example moving fwd.

I'm certainly not rooting against him..

MrZ123

Sep 11, 2008
Not to sidetrack, but I was just reading an article about the captaincy and it was all about Zibanejad.

While he, as of 2 games, is our star player, does that really make for a Captain?

In my opinion, and career in athletics, the captain should really be the leader of the team. This has little to nothing to do with goals or assists or points.

All too often in pro sports, the "best" player on a team is given the C, but is that player the actual leader?

I know it's not the best example, but look at Mike Eruzione or Russel Crowe in Mystery Alaska.

These guys were the hearts of the team, butfl far from the superstars.

As fans, we really have zero idea who the leader is off and on the ice.

Reactions: akmuo33

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

Do we know when the next CBA kicks in? And is it expected that there will be further limits on contracts agreed? I wonder if they stick with 7 and 8 year maximum deals. For example.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Do we know when the next CBA kicks in? And is it expected that there will be further limits on contracts agreed? I wonder if they stick with 7 and 8 year maximum deals. For example.

The current CBA expires in 2022.

Regarding maximum deals, I would love to see the NHL limit the term for UFAs to emphasize building through the draft a bit more which benefits small market teams. Something like this:

- RFA/under contract: 7 year max
- UFA: 5 year max

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad