Mika Zibanejad, Part II : "Zibby Ki-Yay" Die Hard Theme Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
And so? They see him as a future no.1. Who is saying different?

Here we go:

http://the6thsens.com/2014-articles...as-market-trade-scenarios-michalek-offer.html

How is this not indicative of what the organization's view of Zibanejad's ultimate ceiling is?

Could all be smoke up our ***** but I don't think so.

Yeah they knew he wasn't ready that's why at the press conference they snuck in at the end that he would be the 2nd line Center.

He was a project when drafted they know that but he was a 17 year old playing in the sel. He'll get better I think. But it takes time.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No way I'm trading Zibanejad for Eberle. Kid has all the makings of an excellent #2 centerman behind Turris. Kid is only 21 and was drafted as a raw player with all the tools to be a player. It would be impatient and foolish to trade him now before he's a finished product.

Shrewd GMs don't deal players like Zibanejad in deals for players like Eberle. If we're trading for a guy like Eberle, we should be sending a package of lesser players, prospects and picks in return, like we did for Ryan.

Yes, I can agree with that, as an objective.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
I've never seen a player so consistently shoot over the net by a foot or more. Maybe Z-Bad is trying to shoot top corner but he's missing too high so often that it has be something in the curve of his sticks. Z-Bad should seriously look at adjusting the angle of the blade. He has a tremendous shot and gets a number of excellent scoring chances almost every game but what a waste.

WhiteLight*

Its--Raw.jpg

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I've never seen a player so consistently shoot over the net by a foot or more. Maybe Z-Bad is trying to shoot top corner but he's missing too high so often that it has be something in the curve of his sticks. Z-Bad should seriously look at adjusting the angle of the blade. He has a tremendous shot and gets a number of excellent scoring chances almost every game but what a waste.

He rarely shoots with adequate space. Something to consider

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Zibanejad has the most intriguing potential I've ever seen in a forward. Note: intriguing does not mean "best".

Youve ever seen? That's...very strange. It's an ambiguous word to use in this context. Can you explain what you mean? Because he shouldn't have even close to the most *anything* you've ever seen. (Unless you don't watch many prospects)

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Youve ever seen? That's...very strange. It's an ambiguous word to use in this context. Can you explain what you mean? Because he shouldn't have even close to the most *anything* you've ever seen. (Unless you don't watch many prospects)

He has close to the most nationalities I've ever seen crammed into one prospect before.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Sticks and puckwork (passing & shooting accuracy) seem to be a big problem through the lineup.

It almost feels like someone is messing around with all the sticks. I mean, how often does Bobby miss a good sniping chance? Turris is one of the best passers out there and he's had oodles of trouble this year, even when he's wide open. Erik is flubbing up a lot of his shots from the point, that he always had on target before. So bizarre. I dunno....maybe they're not storing the sticks properly and they're losing their flex (are those new non-wood expensive graphite things susceptible to heat/moisture/dampness.etc?).

Something ain't right.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Never seen a blend of such size, shot (wrist shot, slapper AND one timer), stick handling, passing, skating, physicality, defensive awareness... Ability to thrive in high pressure situations.

He has a mix of everything. He doesn't lack anywhere. Some will say intensity and hockey sense, that is highly debatable and remains to be seen.

Haven't seen many players with a blend of all of the things mentioned.

WhiteLight*

Never seen a blend of such size, shot (wrist shot, slapper AND one timer), stick handling, passing, skating, physicality, defensive awareness... Ability to thrive in high pressure situations.

He has a mix of everything. He doesn't lack anywhere. Some will say intensity and hockey sense, that is highly debatable and remains to be seen.

Yeah. Crazy how he's underachieving.

But all those reasons are why I just love watching him play, whether he's playing well or not.

Ovechkin-Kesler-Zetterberg Frankenstein

The guy can do anything he wants if he sets his mind to it

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

That's one of the reasons why he's so raw. There's a lot of different skills to use in a game, and a lot of skills to get to that next level of refinement, and how to put them together effectively.

It's like a lot of other jack-of-all trades guys. It's finding the right mix and having the freedom and development to get the most out of a unique blend of talents. The worst thing you can do is pigeon-hole a guy like that into a specific role. You need to give a guy like this plenty of space and time to find himself.

He has a lot of nice tools, it's making that unique toolbox to display them all.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Doesn't work out for Zib is still a 3rd liner. The question is how much more can he be.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah. Crazy how he's underachieving.

But all those reasons are why I just love watching him play, whether he's playing well or not.

Ovechkin-Kesler-Zetterberg Frankenstein

The guy can do anything he wants if he sets his mind to it

We will see at the end of the season.. whether he is under achieving or not really depends on what your assessment of his coming into the season was.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
21 years old, first full year, and not able to ease into the lineup like the 'kid line'.

The last couple games I have seen something special from him. He is a big strong kid who can skate, has speed, handle the puck, pass, and shoot. He can make plays and seems to like to hit.

He isn't elite at any of it (slapshot aside) yet, but he has improved in ALL areas a little. I can imagine that it may be easier to progress in the single area you're good at, rather than progress all around like he has.

What I like is that he is, like Ryan actually, seeming to focus on adding/building a power forward game. He hits hard, finishes his checks, and grinds in the corner. I'd prefer that he makes that kind of game second nature, and THEN focuses on finesse. Playing like that shows me that he has it in him, maybe even LIKES it. That's the difference between him and Greening for example.

Then you add in the high level shot, the puck skills (not elite, but adequate at speed), passing, and speed and you have a mix that could be special.

In sum, he's a 21 year old playing a key role on the team when it would be idea if he could play further down and be free to focus on development. What he does do, like Cowen, is show periods of dominant play that let you know that if you're careful you can develop him him int that player ALL the time. The mere chance of Zib being consistently the beast he is sometimes is worth holding onto him at all cost.

In my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad