Mika Zibanejad, Part II : "Zibby Ki-Yay" Die Hard Theme Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
He's my wife's favorite sen because "every time I walk by the TV they are saying good things about him"

If I could only bring one thing to a desert island it would be a good knife. If I could only bring two things it would be a knife and a picture of zibby.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
or as Tim Murray said last week on Buffalo radio, Corsi is for people that don't understand the game.

(Maybe I am the one missing the joke here but...)
That comment was either a joke or with some serious context attached to it.

Jim Corsi is a part of Buffalo's coaching staff and I doubt Murray would throw the system he partly invented and gave his name to under the bus like that. That would be quite rude.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Jim Corsi is a part of Buffalo's coaching staff and I doubt Murray would throw the system he partly invented and gave his name to under the bus like that. That would be quite rude.

To contextualise it a bit further: he basically said that Corsi has its uses and is somewhat helpful to understanding puck possession but is too often held up as the be all-end all by people who don't truly understand what "hockey sense" is.

To me it came off as a bit elitist because he didn't bother to explain what he understood as "hockey sense" and it seems to me like one of those clichéd and hazily defined buzzwords that advanced stat advocates can't stand.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
To contextualise it a bit further: he basically said that Corsi has its uses and is somewhat helpful to understanding puck possession but is too often held up as the be all-end all by people who don't truly understand what "hockey sense" is.

To me it came off as a bit elitist because he didn't bother to explain what he understood as "hockey sense" and it seems to me like one of those clichéd and hazily defined buzzwords that advanced stat advocates can't stand.

That makes much more sense, although I still think it is border-line rude against what is basically the legacy of good ol'Jim Corsi.

edit: sorry for going off topic.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think most people understand that Corsi is a complementary statistic to aid in evaluation not replace it.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I think most people understand that Corsi is a complementary statistic to aid in evaluation not replace it.

Depends on which people you are talking about. Although everyone who uses corsi and other types of stats knows and understand their limits to some degree, whenever someone says "this is the best indicator" or "this is the best...(whatever)" it is easy to get the impression that they believe anyone who looks at other factors first, or sees other factors as being more important, is getting it wrong. Although TM is gruff, he is 100% correct in what he said.

Last edited:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Tim was obviously downplaying it a bit.
Corsi is great as long as the players are not playing for it. If they start taking shots whenever possible for the sake of taking a shot, they will end up with bunch of low scoring chances, improved corsi and no goals to show for it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Depends on which people you are talking about. Although everyone who uses corsi and other types of stats knows and understand their limits to some degree, whenever someone says "this is the best indicator" or "this is the best...(whatever)" it is easy to get the impression that they believe anyone who looks at other factors first, or sees other factors as being more important, is getting it wrong. Although TM is gruff, he is 100% correct in what he said.

I agree. Like I said it's a good complementary statistic you can look at that gives you a bit of insight into a player's body of work, but definitely doesn't give you the whole picture.

I definitely wouldn't look down on someone who doesn't look at Corsi at all though and just judges players based on watching them play and their success relative to their team/opponents. Hockey is a very complex sport and not one that can be measured just by numbers (right now) like Baseball.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In my defence, I've never watched Die Hard with the subtitles on, so it's an easy mistake to make.

then you have never truly experienced the series as it was meant to be. I feel bad for you...

I'll be canvasing the office for donations to send a region code 3 version of the dvd out there to you.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad