Mika Zibanejad, Part II : "Zibby Ki-Yay" Die Hard Theme Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Over the whole season thus far, focusing on on-ice play only, Zibanejad has been better than Spezza.

Zibanejad is currently on pace to finish with 3 more points than Spezza already has (if he played 82 games). Even if Zibanejad was the best defensive player in the world (and he's not) it wouldn't make up that kind of gap.

Zibby has been good though.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
Over the whole season thus far, focusing on on-ice play only, Zibanejad has been better than Spezza.

What else would you focus on? I know Zibanejad definitely has the lead in the DJing ability, but Spezza probably leads the somewhat unsettling yet oddly hypnotising smile category.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Zibanejad is currently on pace to finish with 3 more points than Spezza already has (if he played 82 games). Even if Zibanejad was the best defensive player in the world (and he's not) it wouldn't make up that kind of gap.

Zibby has been good though.

Not the who is better thing again :help: Spezza gets points that's what he does. Saying that Spezza has 2 even strength goals in the last 37 games, he's struggling.

Jakub

Resu Deretsiger
Jun 26, 2013
Moonbeam, Ontario
Spezza, although still quick and an elite-level thinker and passer, is without argument a shadow of the player that finished top-5 in points two years back, and its sad to watch injuries affect a player like that. Same goes for Michalek, although he was never as good. I think at this point he would be better suited playing 11-12 minutes, mostly powerplay, and getting a decent matchup on even strength. With the emergence of Turrisas a 1c, the potential of Zibby over the next few years, and an awesome shutdown center in Smith, it would work.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Spezza, although still quick and an elite-level thinker and passer, is without argument a shadow of the player that finished top-5 in points two years back, and its sad to watch injuries affect a player like that. Same goes for Michalek, although he was never as good. I think at this point he would be better suited playing 11-12 minutes, mostly powerplay, and getting a decent matchup on even strength. With the emergence of Turrisas a 1c, the potential of Zibby over the next few years, and an awesome shutdown center in Smith, it would work.

On the other hand MacLean knows what Spezza can bring. If somehow MacLean can get Spezza to play to his full potential could you imagine how good we could be !! I can't argue with the logic of trying to ride you best because we all know what Spezza can do, but this Spezza vs Zibby thing is just silly. Two totally different styles and both guys bring a different element to the game, we need them BOTH for what they can bring to the team. I also get real pissed when some people say Zibby has slowed down the last little bit. It has to do with opportunity and ice time, Zibbys time will come.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Not the who is better thing again :help: Spezza gets points that's what he does. Saying that Spezza has 2 even strength goals in the last 37 games, he's struggling.

Spezza struggling still puts up better offensive numbers and plays against tough competition anytime they are both in the lineup

To think Zibanejad is a better player is kind of crazy he is still so raw and inconsistant

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Spezza struggling still puts up better offensive numbers and plays against tough competition anytime they are both in the lineup

To think Zibanejad is a better player is kind of crazy he is still so raw and inconsistant

Right back to the who is better thing :help: Who cares they are both excellent players.

jasonmackenzie

Aug 23, 2004
Ultimately, what is Zibanejad's role going to be with Ottawa? Unless Spezza or Turris is moved... it is 3rd line. Is he first or second line talent? I understand he is still very young.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Ultimately, what is Zibanejad's role going to be with Ottawa? Unless Spezza or Turris is moved... it is 3rd line. Is he first or second line talent? I understand he is still very young.

Who knows. He possesses 1st line center potential. I'd think eventually he'd be 1a/1b center on this team with Turris.

For now it seems as though he's 3rd line C and tried as a winger until we can get a better read on Spezza's future with the team.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Zibanejad will be a complementary piece with this team moving forward. It's hard to see a future where he's relied upon to be one of the driving forces of the team. I'd think he'll be a 2nd line centre or a top 6 winger depending on how far into the future we're looking and how other prospects develop.

Or he could end up being one of the best 3rd line centres in the league if Spezza regains his form and Turris plays the way he has been. Well, that or he'll be traded in a Ryan type deal.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I really don't see Spezza in an Ottawa uniform in 2 years. We'll probably have a Boston type model with 2 very strong 2Cs in Turris and Zibby.

Zibby is stronger, faster, better defensively and has tons of potential. No way he'll be moved.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i can see us doing what san jose or pens did.

thornton - spezza
couture - turris
Pavelski - Zibby

Zibby can move to wing when need be or fill in the top 2 center spots during injuries

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think it's also still very early to be singing Zibanejad's praises. He's on pace for 39 points and -21 also. He has shown a lot of good things, but there's still a lot he needs to be working on (consistency mostly).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Considering his age and TOI, being on pace for 20 goals and 40 points is fantastic.

Agreed, I just find it funny that +/- is heavily used when bashing a player, but then conveniently not mentioned when defending one. This isn't directed at you specifically. I completely agree his point totals are great considering age and the way hes bounced around the lineup. But he hasn't exactly been the goal preventer ultimate two way player that some fans have made him out to be,.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Would like to see what he can do with 18+ mins and 1st PP time.

That will come in a few years though unfortunately for us.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Would like to see what he can do with 18+ mins and 1st PP time.

That will come in a few years though unfortunately for us.

Why is that unfortunate, Hes only twenty, not exactly and offensive juggernaut. He shouldn't be on the 1st pp unit right now, and he shouldn't be playing huge minutes. you can say he gets points with limited ice time...well hes also -11 on that limited icetime. Which is fine. This is in no way me suggesting hes a bad player. He will be a very good hockey player, everything comes in time. Spezza gets those minutes because he played amazing hockey for almost a decade, and a "so-so" 40 some games doesn't really change his reputation as an elite player in any professionals mind

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Who knows. He possesses 1st line center potential. I'd think eventually he'd be 1a/1b center on this team with Turris.

For now it seems as though he's 3rd line C and tried as a winger until we can get a better read on Spezza's future with the team.

Not sure where you see that. Zibby has really good speed, has a good shot and is tough. So far he has average moves and playmaking skills. He reminds me of Mike Fisher with a little more talent. I see his ceiling as a good number 2 but not a number one.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Zibanejad absolutely has the tools of a first liner.

Go look at first line centers on any cup contenders, I don't think zibanejad becomes a player close to those. I think he can be a good second line center/elite third line center.
I think his best season will be around 55-65 points, but I don't think he will consistently pull that off.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Go look at first line centers on any cup contenders, I don't think zibanejad becomes a player close to those. I think he can be a good second line center/elite third line center.
I think his best season will be around 55-65 points, but I don't think he will consistently pull that off.

I see no reason why he cant get to the same level as Bergeron or Krejci or Richards or Carter or Backes or Koivu or Kesler.

You dont need to put up 80+ points to be a first liner.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I see no reason why he cant get to the same level as Bergeron or Krejci or Richards or Carter or Backes or Koivu or Kesler.

You dont need to put up 80+ points to be a first liner.

kesler, Richards, backs are second line centers very good ones, if they were 80+ point players they would be first line centers..less so Kessler because sedin is in front of him. But points aside you named off very good players. I don't think zibanejad reaches the total game of any of those players that's my opinion only time will tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad