Mika Zibanejad, Part II : "Zibby Ki-Yay" Die Hard Theme Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
? He didn't shoot it into the goalie's chest though...

I'd say a Fisher type with better hands is a good description of Zibby. WHat made Fisher such a useful player was his drive and competitiveness, which Zibby still has to prove he has.

He's looked great for a good stretch this season, but its still just a good stretch. I'm optimistic but time will tell.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
? He didn't shoot it into the goalie's chest though...

Fisher would usually convert breakaways, strangely enough. Did so many times in the playoffs, and was a decent shootout performer.

On the rush, though, that Fisher snapper could go anywhere. Literally through the glass, off the post (there was a season where Fisher easily led the league in posts; I remember because one of the media sites kept posts as a stat), or right in the crest.

If Fisher had any sort of ability to visually scan while coming in on the rush, he'd be Sidney Crosby. But he wasn't much of a playmaker or a sniper when pressured.

Zibanejad has a similar buckshot at this point. It can go anywhere.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
then you have never truly experienced the series as it was meant to be. I feel bad for you...

I'll be canvasing the office for donations to send a region code 3 version of the dvd out there to you.

Ah, don't worry about it. I can just head to Ratu Plaza later this week and pick it up for $0.60.

Ahhh, Indonesia. Where DVD piracy is so widespread, stores don't even bother carrying legit DVD's anymore, haha.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
To contextualise it a bit further: he basically said that Corsi has its uses and is somewhat helpful to understanding puck possession but is too often held up as the be all-end all by people who don't truly understand what "hockey sense" is.

To me it came off as a bit elitist because he didn't bother to explain what he understood as "hockey sense" and it seems to me like one of those clichéd and hazily defined buzzwords that advanced stat advocates can't stand.

It's a pretty abstract thing, you know it when you see it. Bet there are more than a few people in charge of evaluating talent in the NHL that have a hard time spotting it, I'd bet a couple work for the oilers.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Ah, there's the Tim we all know.

I'll miss him to be honest. My favorite interview in hockey.

If I was in doubt or didn't have enough info on a player, just went with what Tim murray thought. Follow the draft record of places he's been and it wasn't hard to tell the strong draft/development record we've had lately probably had a lot to do with him. He always spoke like he knew where a player was going to be in 5 years, always seemed like he was right.

And back on topic....

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Zibanejad

Why is he handed this ice-time? Last night a little over 11 minutes, the game before 12 minutes. What has he done to deserve this? On many nights I think Zib has been the biggest force on the team - and this the reward? I mean, Condra had more than 4 minutes more icetime, Michalek more than 5. how does that help the team?

Side-note. Ryan only got 13:21..

"Best players play"...Yeah, if that's the case, I have a whole other opinion about who the best players have been.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
The team is overflowing at centre. Spezza and Turris are legit top six forwards, so when he's playing on what is the de facto third line he's not going to consistently get 15+ minutes. Milo and Condra have more ice-time because they play PK.

Ryan on the other hand I don't understand.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Considering the circumstances it would be hard to give him more icetime than that..

Ryan on the other hand has been underwhelming and sad since he was left off Team USA. He needs to step up.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Considering the circumstances it would be hard to give him more icetime than that..

Ryan on the other hand has been underwhelming and sad since he was left off Team USA. He needs to step up.
Hi Vippe, can you tell me where your avy comes from?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
2 reasons.

1. Because MacLean doesn't use his players effectively (imo).
2. (more important) Turris, Spezza and Smith all get lots of ice time and with 4 effective C's, there's only so much time to play each of them.

I'd like to see him around 15 minutes a game. Totally agree that 11 is way too little.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
2 reasons.

1. Because MacLean doesn't use his players effectively (imo).
2. (more important) Turris, Spezza and Smith all get lots of ice time and with 4 effective C's, there's only so much time to play each of them.

I'd like to see him around 15 minutes a game. Totally agree that 11 is way too little.

I have no beef if someone believe Mac is not using players effectively. However, two things to keep in mind. (1) Zibby is still very young, and it is very common across the NHL to give limited sheltered minutes to 20 year olds. It allows them to build up some confidence without feeling the pressure of having the team depend on them night in and night out. (2) If what you say about having 4 effective Cs is true (which I believe it is), it is unlikely that Zibby gets to 15 minutes. 60/4=15, which would mean that each C gets an average of 15 minutes. With the Turris line being our biggest offensive threat I expect them to get more, and with Smith's line playing the shutdown minutes I expect them to be right around the 15 minute mark. That means Zibby is sharing what is left with Spezza, and I side with Mac keeping Spezza at his current minutes rather than stripping more away for the sake of playing Zibby more.

By next year I expect Zibby to be pushing up to close to 15 minutes a game, and the year after he'll be averaging around that.

One of the strengths of the current Sens organization is that they bring young players along slowly. I can't think of the last guy that suffered as a result of being rushed with the big club.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Zibanejad is playing well, but he's not making a case for more icetime really because other players are playing well on the team too. Ryan is getting bumped down because he's been less-than-spectacular for a while now.

I mean he's on his longest streak without a point so far this season. It's not just because of icetime. He's still getting a lot of PP time. He's young...this stuff happens. I think people sometimes forget that he's only 20 years old. Inconsistency is a big part of young players game outside of the absolute best young players.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
He might be inconsistent point-wise, but he never takes shifts off and always battles hard. He's probably our strongest and best player along the boards at this point.

If I was the coach (which would probably be i disaster), I would doubleshift him as winger on odd shifts, to get him around 16-18 minutes per game.

Condra, Greening, Conacher, Michalek, Smith, Neil, Stone etc. getting more ice-time than him, is just a joke.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He might be inconsistent point-wise, but he never takes shifts off and always battles hard. He's probably our strongest and best player along the boards at this point.

If I was the coach (which would probably be i disaster), I would doubleshift him as winger on odd shifts, to get him around 16-18 minutes per game.

Condra, Greening, Conacher, Michalek, Smith, Neil, Stone etc. getting more ice-time than him, is just a joke.

I'm not saying it's always the case but a lot of people confuse activity with accomplishment. He definitely works hard though and that's a great trait to have.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
ATOI

The go to guys;

Turris 18:49
Spezza 18:27
MacArthur 18:12
Michalek 17:22
Ryan 17:06

Tier Two;

Smith 15:28
Zibanejad 14:14
Greening 13:48

The hard to get points crew;

Conacher 12:47
Stone 11:54
Neil 11:44
Condra 11:43

While there is a reason why some players get ice time over others, over the season Zibanejad is the only one of our young forwards that has been afforded good ice time. Inexperienced players will not get great ice time under MacLean as long as his veterans are healthy. When Spezza line was out, the Zibby Conacher Michalek line put up good point totals. Now that there back to 10-12 minutes a game there point totals will decline. As long as we are winning there is nothing wrong with this but if we lose and Mac keeps going with the veterans I for one will lose it :) There is nothing wrong with Zibby and Conacher and Weircioch that ice time and opportunity won't solve. Until such time as the ice time is available they can "learn to play in the NHL" with limited ice. BUT if some posters think they ARE NOT playing well I for one TOTALLY disagree. These guys as well as Stone, Pageau, ect, ect are our future and to me it looks bright.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
No reason why Michalek is supposed to be part of the go to guys.

Greening should be part of the last group. Bump Condra up to where Greening is. Take a minute off Smith and Spezza and give it to Zibanejad.

Although I believe we are seeing Zibanejad play little ice-minutes on purpose. MacLean is trying to ease him into the stronger competition and he wants more consistent dominant shifts out of him the entire game before he starts throwing 16 minutes a night.

If you told me how much minutes did Zibanejad have last night I would have said 17. That's how good he was. Everywhere.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Greening should be part of the last group. Bump Condra up to where Greening is. Take a minute off Smith and Spezza and give it to Zibanejad.

Although I believe we are seeing Zibanejad play little ice-minutes on purpose. MacLean is trying to ease him into the stronger competition and he wants more consistent dominant shifts out of him the entire game before he starts throwing 16 minutes a night.

If you told me how much minutes did Zibanejad have last night I would have said 17. That's how good he was. Everywhere.

I should have stated I don't necessarily agree with the ice time, I just pointed out how MacLean sees it. I agree with what you are saying but without our penalty parade I think the Zibby line would of had around 14 minutes. That said I think Michalek and Conacher don't get enough credit for how well that line has played. It's all Zibby, Zibby, Zibby it's a bit overkill. He's the line stud but come on your getting as bad with Zibby as Cujomi is with Spezza :laugh:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
cause Spezza and Turris have been better

Zibby is okay but his line has kind of dropped.

If we can add a winger for Spezza then we can move a better down to Zibby depending on if Stone is longterm

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
cause Spezza and Turris have been better

Zibby is okay but his line has kind of dropped.

If we can add a winger for Spezza then we can move a better down to Zibby depending on if Stone is longterm

Move a better down ? Who Greening, Condra ? Please. You are correct Turris and Spezza will get the majority of ice time, and that is why Zibbys line "has kind of dropped".

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Move a better down ? Who Greening, Condra ? Please. You are correct Turris and Spezza will get the majority of ice time, and that is why Zibbys line "has kind of dropped".

no their play has dropped too. They arent an tenacious as before Zibby is good but Michalek and Conacher have dropped to where they were before.

I am thinking of moving Stone down if we get a winger for Spezza

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
no their play has dropped too. They arent an tenacious as before Zibby is good but Michalek and Conacher have dropped to where they were before.

I am thinking of moving Stone down if we get a winger for Spezza

Glad your not coaching :)

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

why? Spezza has been better than Zibby since returning. He is very noticeably creating chances even if his linemates can't finish.

Michalek also plays short handed which Zibby doesnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad