Microsoft Xbox Discussion - It is my nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I haven't seen the MP videos, but I suggest that TheActMan did a great job dissecting the storyline and how brutal it truly was.

I think Raycevik did a much better job in dissecting Halo 5's issues, especially the campaign. The primary problem: lead developers of single-player were mostly carry overs from Halo 4's Spartan Ops, and they wanted to advance Halo by expanding the concepts they worked on in Halo 4. Those responsible for leading Halo 4's campaign were not around to apply lessons learnt from the first post-Bungie foray in the series, which was not up to par but had signs of promising storytelling pedigree at the very least. Misdirection from the top created a domino effect, inflicting everything from the score (little inspiration for a composer to work with) to the cast, so that no element of single-player could be regarded as a positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
Picked up Deep Rock Galactic a week or two ago and am absolutely loving it. It's hard to describe but the game just hits all the right notes. It is way more fun in a group of 4 but I never have an issue finding good people to play with, the community seems awesome. I think it's on a slight sale right now and I seriously can't recommend it enough.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I haven't seen the MP videos, but I suggest that TheActMan did a great job dissecting the storyline and how brutal it truly was.

His videos were the ones I was talking about :yo:

He did two other great ones about “The Fall of Xbox” and “The Decline in Gaming”. None of it is overly preachy, it’s just observational and I really liked them.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Also, just watched the PS5 reveal from yesterday. it was fantastic. XSX has to wow me with the games they're offering this time around. I've been a Xbox boy through and through. Have had an xbox exclusively since the first one came out but if the games don't look good and especially if Halo: Infinite isn't good i might finally make the switch over

This will probably be the 1st time since 360 I won’t be getting a launch console. It just seems to take a couple years for games to match the console’s performance. What are we getting over my X1X? Better load times?

I’m not really a RPG guy so PS doesn’t appeal to me. I already have 4K 60 FPS, 8K displays are not reasonable. I know the new X will do 120 FPS but what games will support it?

They need more to support the upgrade.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
When is their July event? I'll probably be getting the new Xbox but I want to hear more about Age of Empires 4 because all we got was this trailer back in November last year accompanied with a BTS peek at the same event and then a few articles.

In 2017 when I thought the franchise was pretty much over we were teased with this:

November 2019 we were teased with this (which they claim involves gameplay footage):

And an inteview/promo/behind the scenes at the same November 2019 event:

Please, please just give me news.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think Raycevik did a much better job in dissecting Halo 5's issues, especially the campaign. The primary problem: lead developers of single-player were mostly carry overs from Halo 4's Spartan Ops, and they wanted to advance Halo by expanding the concepts they worked on in Halo 4.
Yeah I watched a bit of it last night and it seems that all the people who worked as leads on Halo 4 either moved, quit, or were reshuffled by Microsoft. Which then allowed the opportunity of everyone who worked on Spartan Ops move to the campaign - that makes perfect sense as to why everything in campaign was so dreadfully boring. Raycevik really goes in-depth at the personnel shifts which I don't think TheActMan ever considered.

I didn't hate Spartan Ops when I played it on Halo 4, but there was also a certain percentage of that was stale and some levels really put you to sleep. Palmer sadly suffered the most because I think she could've been quite interesting, but they made her so vanilla, especially her dialogue that she was as boring as Tanaka, Vale, or how they turned freakin' Buck into a machine as well. I do think the game suffered from a lack of direction as well, I do buy the rumours that they wanted to do is an open world Halo game and ran out of resources which made the game turn into the rubbish that we got.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Yeah I watched a bit of it last night and it seems that all the people who worked as leads on Halo 4 either moved, quit, or were reshuffled by Microsoft. Which then allowed the opportunity of everyone who worked on Spartan Ops move to the campaign - that makes perfect sense as to why everything in campaign was so dreadfully boring. Raycevik really goes in-depth at the personnel shifts which I don't think TheActMan ever considered.

I didn't hate Spartan Ops when I played it on Halo 4, but there was also a certain percentage of that was stale and some levels really put you to sleep. Palmer sadly suffered the most because I think she could've been quite interesting, but they made her so vanilla, especially her dialogue that she was as boring as Tanaka, Vale, or how they turned freakin' Buck into a machine as well. I do think the game suffered from a lack of direction as well, I do buy the rumours that they wanted to do is an open world Halo game and ran out of resources which made the game turn into the rubbish that we got.

Indeed. To be fair, Bungie also had serious developmental issues with the original Halo and Halo 2, but Bungie had an insane amount of talent and experience to work past these problems. Also helped that the Covenant had really good AI in those days, that's an element missing in 343's efforts.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The never get its head of out the ass with Nintendo online rings really true. I was disappointed when their new CEO for Nintendo America talked about improving online being about adding more legacy NES/SNES games. I mean come on. They're literally 20 years behind Playstation and Xbox when it comes to the online experience. I get Japan is ass backwards when it comes to tech but Nintendo is supposed to be a global player.

Anyways hopefully Microsoft shakes things up, competitors counter offer and things improve for everyone.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

Didn't Google have big latency issues with streaming even for single player? The majority of big games on Xbox/Playstation are multiplayer so I wonder what Microsoft's plan is. I could see a lot of upset people getting one as a gift or getting one themselves if there is latency issues.

And even if they solve it well enough for single player what about for those multiplayer games?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Didn't Google have big latency issues with streaming even for single player? The majority of big games on Xbox/Playstation are multiplayer so I wonder what Microsoft's plan is. I could see a lot of upset people getting one as a gift or getting one themselves if there is latency issues.

And even if they solve it well enough for single player what about for those multiplayer games?

It's such a specific market that I don't know if launching with it is a great decision. Like you said kids parents will see the price of the different version of them and buy the streaming version, not knowing if their internet speed is capable of playing games at an acceptable level.

I'm not sure how the $200 would be justified either. I'm assuming xCloud will be available on pretty much all devices. People already have so many different devices capable of streaming, why buy a $200 box?

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I pretty much skipped gaming entirely this gen (bought a PS4 recently for Spider Man and have played a couple games since)

But I find myself looking forward to the Xbox event in July. Microsoft has a few dormant franchises that I'd love to see a new entry for and of course Halo... even though 343 has been a big failure with the franchise so far

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I pretty much skipped gaming entirely this gen (bought a PS4 recently for Spider Man and have played a couple games since)

But I find myself looking forward to the Xbox event in July. Microsoft has a few dormant franchises that I'd love to see a new entry for and of course Halo... even though 343 has been a big failure with the franchise so far

There's also been a lot of rumours about a return for Fable, a franchise that never really realized it's potential. Hopefully they can present something stellar with that.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
There's also been a lot of rumours about a return for Fable, a franchise that never really realized it's potential. Hopefully they can present something stellar with that.

I really enjoyed the Fable games so this would be good

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I am glad MS and Sony are offering consoles without a disc drive. Saves me money on something I don't need or use.

And since I have skipped all of the XBone variants and am still flying along on my OG XBone, the release of the Series X will be great time to step up.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I am glad MS and Sony are offering consoles without a disc drive. Saves me money on something I don't need or use.

And since I have skipped all of the XBone variants and am still flying along on my OG XBone, the release of the Series X will be great time to step up.

The interesting thing with the disc drives is that they only cost Sony and Microsoft about $20 each. But due to the savings in production costs (no shipping, printing, disc costs, etc) on downloadable games they expect to save enough money on each sale as well as from cutting out the used game market.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Lots of rumors that Microsoft is going big in this next presser. We’ll see. I’m leaning towards Series X over PS5 because I prefer the ecosystem and controller way more.

No doubt we’re going to see what these studios they bought are working, plus the big AAAA studio they put together has. I think they poached talent from Rockstar, Naughty Dog, and Insomniac with that studio.

Beyond a Fable reboot, I’ve heard rumors of a Perfect Dark reboot happening too.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Lots of rumors that Microsoft is going big in this next presser. We’ll see. I’m leaning towards Series X over PS5 because I prefer the ecosystem and controller way more.

No doubt we’re going to see what these studios they bought are working, plus the big AAAA studio they put together has. I think they poached talent from Rockstar, Naughty Dog, and Insomniac with that studio.

Beyond a Fable reboot, I’ve heard rumors of a Perfect Dark reboot happening too.
Just personally, I really hate the default XB1 controllers. The shoulder buttons have a cheap clickyness to them and the face buttons snap a little too hard when you press down. I like the slight softness of the PlayStation. The dpad and triggers are alright.

Can't comment on the elite controller, though I've been thinking about buying a used one.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just personally, I really hate the default XB1 controllers. The shoulder buttons have a cheap clickyness to them and the face buttons snap a little too hard when you press down. I like the slight softness of the PlayStation. The dpad and triggers are alright.

Can't comment on the elite controller, though I've been thinking about buying a used one.

The elite controllers are fantastic.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Have you tried the newest model v2 controller?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Have you tried the newest model v2 controller?
Now that you mention it, I actually have both in front of me, white and black. The black one doesnt work with bluetooth on PC, so its defeinitely the original version. I didn't realize they were different.

While the shoulder buttons aren't as overly clicky on the white controller, I still prefer the DS4 shoulder buttons massively.

Feeling the face buttons again, they're okay, not nearly as bad as the shoulder buttons, Ive been using DS4 mainly on PC ever since I found all steam games support it, but that reminds me of another thing I dislike about the white controller, its got this rough yet not at all grippy texture on the back.

I like the dpad, but its also overly clicky. I prefer a dpad thats got more softness and travel to it. The DS4 dpad has good feel, but its not an actual dpad which is annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad