Microsoft Xbox Discussion - It is my nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

These look to be the proprietary add-ons for expanded storage, memory cards making a comeback? Hopefully they are in the $100 canadian range for 1 TB and it doesn't go like the vita sd cards

Takes me back to PS2 days when my whole life could fit on 8mb.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Since Sony will be using them as well, we'll be looking at some really expensive memory cards since new games won't work from a USB HDD.
They won't be. Mark Cerny announced it will support M.2 drives on the market as long as they are fast enough, so there will probably be a list of approved drives coming out eventually.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They won't be. Mark Cerny announced it will support M.2 drives on the market as long as they are fast enough, so there will probably be a list of approved drives coming out eventually.

They are and will be. Will be lucky to get them under 3 figures, or around 80 $/€. Plus, expect the prices to rise due to Coronavirus effects on production.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
They are and will be. Will be lucky to get them under 3 figures, or around 80 $/€. Plus, expect the prices to rise due to Coronavirus effects on production.
Cerny said in the presentation any m.2 drive will fit but they're not all designed for the sustained speeds the ps5 needs (this was also xboxs argument for using proprietary storage), so only the ones they approve will work. So it's technically not proprietary, but Sony still has control over which ones you can use.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Cerny said in the presentation any m.2 drive will fit but they're not all designed for the sustained speeds the ps5 needs (this was also xboxs argument for using proprietary storage), so only the ones they approve will work. So it's technically not proprietary, but Sony still has control over which ones you can use.

That's a good solution. It prevents customers from installing slow storage and then complaining about poor performance, while still allowing customers to buy non-proprietary storage.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So my existing external just can't transfer to the new X or what? That was the easiest part of getting a new system, no new games to download - even if I just want to move them to the Xbox's internal.

I don't know if Xbox has specifically said or not, but assuming external drives are supported (I assume they are) I would think your external should work on the new Xbox as well....depending on the specifics of how the backwards compatibility works of course.

I believe PlayStation specifically said you could do this with PS5.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So my existing external just can't transfer to the new X or what? That was the easiest part of getting a new system, no new games to download - even if I just want to move them to the Xbox's internal.

I don't know if Xbox has specifically said or not, but assuming external drives are supported (I assume they are) I would think your external should work on the new Xbox as well....depending on the specifics of how the backwards compatibility works of course.

I believe PlayStation specifically said you could do this with PS5.

You can store games on an external HDD, but only the "old" games work from it, not the new ones. Due to the SSD higher performance, the games wouldn't work. It's the same on PS5. You need an SSD to play the NEW games. Since the Series X automatically upscales the games, I think even some of the older ones (like Gears 5) might not look as good as if they were installed on the SSD. So basically you can store the games on the external but you have to move them to the SSD to get the best version.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Game Pass Ultimate is on sale. 3 months for the price of one (16.99 in Canada).

They just added Nier Automata and Wolfenstein Youngblood. Those two were enough to get me to re-join

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Nier Automata is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

Im not sure what to make of it yet. About 6 hours or so in.

No autosave ia annoying. Im not really enjoying the colour palette. In game map is terrible. Voice acting is stiff to outright bad.

I just dont know if I have the patience for all the wierd crap that happens in JRPGs anymore. The meta, break the fourth wall stuff in them has gone from cool to just annoying

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Red Dead II is going to Game Pass May 7th. Another huge get for Microsoft.

I am very curious how it performs on my standard original Xbox One vs my PS4 Slim. Going to install if for no other reason then that.

Aside, my PS4 slim has been amazing. I dont have an original to compare it to but it hasnt hiccuped at any game Ive played on it. God of War, Red Dead II, Final Fantasy VII Remake all have worked perfectly, and the PS4 doesnt even break a sweat (no loud fans or whatever).

Does anyone know if the current base model Xbox Ones are the same in terms of performance?

Last edited:

Iron Mosher

Sep 29, 2017
I've been trading in my rewards for months and apparently one must read their email and redeem the codes. I finally did that and now I have Xbox Ultimate Pass until July 2021. Pretty sweet.

Reactions: aleshemsky83

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I am very curious how it performs on my standard original Xbox One vs my PS4 Slim. Going to install if for no other reason then that.

Aside, my PS4 slim has been amazing. I dont have an original to compare it to but it hasnt hiccuped at any game Ive played on it. God of War, Red Dead II, Final Fantasy VII Remake all have worked perfectly, and the PS4 doesnt even break a sweat (no loud fans or whatever).

Does anyone know if the current base model Xbox Ones are the same in terms of performance?

You're better off getting a One X.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

PS4is a full 1080p, One S is running at around 720p. Of course One X is 4k.

4:50 in case that doesnt work

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Sounds like OXM - Official XBox Magazine - is shutting down. Kind of a sad time - a lot of the original editors came from the Official Dreamcast Magazine back in 2000. I love the Magazine format, and hate that the internet has destroyed my favorite way to read about upcoming games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad