OT: MIchigan Sports Thread: UM wins Natty Championship

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I mean….

Better than all those unimaginative answers…. car salesman, real estate agent, lawyers. For a dream job? Blech.

I’ve got time for Lyon’s bus version of Homeward Bound and Ras’s dark comedy real life hospital show.

Whoever that was that said chef - I like that one. I wish I could make a living by making food without the pressure of the restaurant industry.

Reactions: jaster

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Please explain.

Yeah! The Packers made some splashes. Exciting day of free agency. They got a younger RB that's one year removed from the NFL rushing title and signed the top safety of free agency. They also cut 3 older vets, including Aaron Jones, who still is great but always nursing some kind of injury lately.

For Jones to stay, he would have needed to take a restructured deal that's not going to match what he can get in free agency. Just a numbers problem, mainly for next year and beyond.

Personally I think it's the right move from a business standpoint, but Jones was considered one of the team leaders and is quite beloved by the team and fans alike. It's certainly put a damper on the excitement of grabbing two premier players.

An imperfect comparison would be if the Red Wings had to cut someone like Kronwall and watch him play for another team a few years before retirement. Mixed emotions.

I see the Lions traded for a CB Davis from the Bucs and signed DE Davenport. Both guys come with question marks after disappointing seasons but in the right system they might thrive again.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah! The Packers made some splashes. Exciting day of free agency. They got a younger RB that's one year removed from the NFL rushing title and signed the top safety of free agency. They also cut 3 older vets, including Aaron Jones, who still is great but always nursing some kind of injury lately.

For Jones to stay, he would have needed to take a restructured deal that's not going to match what he can get in free agency. Just a numbers problem, mainly for next year and beyond.

Personally I think it's the right move from a business standpoint, but Jones was considered one of the team leaders and is quite beloved by the team and fans alike. It's certainly put a damper on the excitement of grabbing two premier players.

An imperfect comparison would be if the Red Wings had to cut someone like Kronwall and watch him play for another team a few years before retirement. Mixed emotions.

I see the Lions traded for a CB Davis from the Bucs and signed DE Davenport. Both guys come with question marks after disappointing seasons but in the right system they might thrive again.
Fair enough. Maybe I'm just biased in thinking Josh Jacobs is one of the more overrated players in the league. But regardless of how he did in Oakland, if he plays well in Green Bay, it's a win for the Packers.

Yeah, I like the positions that the Lions addressed. We'll see how it goes with the specific guys they selected.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

Lions fans said the same about Jamaal Williams last year in free agency. That said, Jacobs does nothing for me other than having age on his side.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I am sad to lose Aaron Jones, he's one of those guys you love to watch to play football and love his personality. Just a genuinely amazing dude to have on a team you like to watch. Super unfortunate that they couldn't find a way to restructure him and keep him, but NFL contracts and negotiations are completely different than the NHL and I can't pretend to act like I understand it like I understand the very easy NHL cap/contract structure.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Lions fans said the same about Jamaal Williams last year in free agency. That said, Jacobs does nothing for me other than having age on his side.
I mean, the guy led the league in rushing in 2022 (with over 2k rush+rec yards), crazy that he does nothing for you.

I would've stuck with Jones because I'm a simp for him, but the dude ain't trash and I don't think last year with all the turmoil of the raiders + missing the last 4 for a quad injury means he's shit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am sad to lose Aaron Jones, he's one of those guys you love to watch to play football and love his personality. Just a genuinely amazing dude to have on a team you like to watch. Super unfortunate that they couldn't find a way to restructure him and keep him, but NFL contracts and negotiations are completely different than the NHL and I can't pretend to act like I understand it like I understand the very easy NHL cap/contract structure.
Fav signing for Minnesota so far, have always liked him as a player.

Seems like the Vikings are the only team signing players in the NFC north, lol. They are really overturning that roster. Not sure how next year will go but I think they will be better off long term for it.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Fav signing for Minnesota so far, have always liked him as a player.

Seems like the Vikings are the only team signing players in the NFC north, lol. They are really overturning that roster. Not sure how next year will go but I think they will be better off long term for it.
Replacing Kirk Cousins with Sam Darnold, they are going to get a nice high draft pick next season.

USA Today believes the Vikings are going to trade up to take JJ.

5. Minnesota Vikings (via proposed trade with Los Angeles Chargers) – J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

"Would Minnesota be content to trade to this spot knowing it might have to settle for its fourth choice to replace Kirk Cousins? Maybe a move wouldn't be reasonable until draft day, when general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and Co. could see how the top few picks panned out. But going with Sam Darnold as a bridge option to start off 2024 while sitting and developing McCarthy seems like a relatively sound strategy for an organization that suddenly has had change behind center thrust upon it."

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Replacing Kirk Cousins with Sam Darnold, they are going to get a nice high draft pick next season.

USA Today believes the Vikings are going to trade up to take JJ.

5. Minnesota Vikings (via proposed trade with Los Angeles Chargers) – J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

"Would Minnesota be content to trade to this spot knowing it might have to settle for its fourth choice to replace Kirk Cousins? Maybe a move wouldn't be reasonable until draft day, when general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah and Co. could see how the top few picks panned out. But going with Sam Darnold as a bridge option to start off 2024 while sitting and developing McCarthy seems like a relatively sound strategy for an organization that suddenly has had change behind center thrust upon it."
I have never been a fan of Sam Darnold, even coming out of college. So yeah, I won't be expecting too much from that team this year.

But they have enough talent elsewhere (IMO) to where I don't know they would draft super high next year?

I think they are hoping to be somewhat competitive this year and get a QB for the future and let him sit a year and then hit the ground running the following year. But it's hard to say. I could see them being downright terrible if Darnold is indeed trash and can't utilize the weapons he will have. It does make trading next year’s first to move up this year risky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Konnan511

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
The Lions adding Zeitler (presumably at RG) is just another appealing off-season move. I would love to see a decent veteran safety signed and J. Reynolds brought back on a reasonable salary. Then the Lions could enter the draft without any holes to fill left.

Gruß,
BSHH

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
All of you in the state of Michigan and/or those with ties to the state need to get hyped for Michigan Michigan State Big Ten Hockey Final on Saturday. Will be a great game

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The Lions adding Zeitler (presumably at RG) is just another appealing off-season move. I would love to see a decent veteran safety signed and J. Reynolds brought back on a reasonable salary. Then the Lions could enter the draft without any holes to fill left.

Gruß,
BSHH

Then today happened and DB once again looks like a priority in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad